Dave Bugg

Default Morton Salt meat curing information

I was taking a look at various sites with meat curing information and ran
across this site for Morton Salt. Some good basic tips, along with product
information about the Tender Quick and Sugar Cure lineup.
http://www.mortonsalt.com/consumer/p...ring/index.htm

or for those who might have problems with the length of the URL above:
http://tinyurl.com/33sb2

Kent H.

Definitive advice about meat curing is difficult to find. I find the
Morton's site and recipes uniquely confusing. Their vat cure with 1 cup
cure/quart of solution would raise your blood pressure.
I buy Carlson's curing salt which is salt, sugar, and .65% sodium
nitrite for much less money. Not exactly the same, but close.
For curing ideas you might look at:
Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas (Author) and:
American charcuterie: Recipes from Pig-by-the-Tail by Victoria Wise, the
latter is a great old charcuterie in Berkeley, now long closed, though I
spoke with her about curing recently.
I wish I could provide something a bit more erudite. As the post below
indicates, tomorrow I am trying to make "cold smoked salmon" by making
gravlax with Carlson's curing salt, and then cold smoking it at 90F.
Wish me luck
Kent

Dave Bugg wrote:

> I was taking a look at various sites with meat curing information and ran
> across this site for Morton Salt. Some good basic tips, along with product
> information about the Tender Quick and Sugar Cure lineup.
> http://www.mortonsalt.com/consumer/p...ring/index.htm
>
> or for those who might have problems with the length of the URL above:
> http://tinyurl.com/33sb2

Banjo

I got some Instacure #1 type stuff from Allied Kenco (Houston), and the lady
said to use 1 teaspoon for every 5 lbs of meat. Of course, I'm making
sausage, so it would be distributed evenly throughout.

I haven't used it yet. It's one thing you don't want to screw up.

See ya!

-Banjo

"Kent H." > wrote in message
> Definitive advice about meat curing is difficult to find. I find the
> Morton's site and recipes uniquely confusing. Their vat cure with 1 cup
> cure/quart of solution would raise your blood pressure.
> I buy Carlson's curing salt which is salt, sugar, and .65% sodium
> nitrite for much less money. Not exactly the same, but close.
> For curing ideas you might look at:
> Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas (Author) and:
> American charcuterie: Recipes from Pig-by-the-Tail by Victoria Wise, the
> latter is a great old charcuterie in Berkeley, now long closed, though I
> spoke with her about curing recently.
> I wish I could provide something a bit more erudite. As the post below
> indicates, tomorrow I am trying to make "cold smoked salmon" by making
> gravlax with Carlson's curing salt, and then cold smoking it at 90F.
> Wish me luck
> Kent
>
> Dave Bugg wrote:
> >
> > I was taking a look at various sites with meat curing information and

ran
> > across this site for Morton Salt. Some good basic tips, along with

product
> > information about the Tender Quick and Sugar Cure lineup.
> > http://www.mortonsalt.com/consumer/p...ring/index.htm
> >
> > or for those who might have problems with the length of the URL above:
> > http://tinyurl.com/33sb2

Banjo