KKPdude

Default Kamado Coconut Lump?

Anybody out there tried the Kamado extruded coconut lump?

The Dude
BOB

KKPdude wrote:
> Anybody out there tried the Kamado extruded coconut lump?
>
> The Dude

Yes!

I just had 2000 pounds shipped to me in Florida (to be shared with others)
because I like it so much.
Long lasting, produces very little ash, easy to control the fire/temps.
It also has practically no smoke flavor. This is a plus if you are using it to
bake something that you don't want smoke flavor with. It also lets you choose
your smoke flavoring.

BOB

JakBQuik

"KKPdude" > wrote in message
> Anybody out there tried the Kamado extruded coconut lump?
>
> The Dude

Yeah, I've tried it and like it very much. A box of it was included when I
got my K7 last winter. I especially like that it is made from coconut
shells, which are a by product (usually wasted) of coconut meat production,
so it's from a completely sustainable source.

If it were available locally I would buy it all the time. I understand that
you can get it in Atlanta and Sacramento, of course. I'll stick with my
lump till I can get it without paying for shipping.

Oh yeah, I remember that Richard (of Kamado) said they were trying to reach
an agreement with Whole Foods to distribute it.

John in Austin

The Naked Whiz

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 12:57:03 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 15:02:01 GMT, "JakBQuik"
> wrote:
>
>>Oh yeah, I remember that Richard (of Kamado) said they were trying to reach
>>an agreement with Whole Foods to distribute it.

>That would certainly be better than that chemical-laden Cowboy
>Lump they're selling now (repackaged as Whole Foods house brand).
>
>-sw

What makes you say Cowboy is "chemical-laden"? Other than the odd
"strange thing" to be found in the occasional bag, it is all wood
charcoal, just cut up scrap pieces.

TNW
The Naked Whiz

On 05 Jun 2004 14:46:40 GMT, (KKPdude) wrote:

>Anybody out there tried the Kamado extruded coconut lump?
>
>The Dude

You might like to read my review of this lump at the Lump Charcoal
Database:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

TNW

The Naked Whiz

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 20:16:30 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 00:45:26 GMT, The Naked Whiz
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 12:57:03 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>>>That would certainly be better than that chemical-laden Cowboy
>>>Lump they're selling now (repackaged as Whole Foods house brand).

>>What makes you say Cowboy is "chemical-laden"? Other than the odd
>>"strange thing" to be found in the occasional bag, it is all wood
>>charcoal, just cut up scrap pieces.

>Cut up scrap of treated lumber, or so it smells and tastes like.
>I've ruined $40 worth of meat using $5 worth of lump. Never
>again. That shit is EVIL.
>
>A company which outputs an occasional "odd thing" has some serious
>quality control problems - or they just don't care. They know
>they suck, but they don't care as long as they're still making a
>profit. The company puts lump to shame.
>
>Can you tell I hate Cowboy (Whole Foods, Fresh Market, etc..)
>lump?
>
>-sw

Hmmm, I think I DO detect a bit of hostility... :-) However, nothing
I've read about them or in my communications with them would suggest
that they use anything but untreated, unfinished scraps of hardwood.
I've heard reports of strange things in lots of different brands, so
I'm not sure I would say Cowboy was any worse. I've burned a fair
amount of Cowboy in my testing and never experienced any bad smells or
tastes. Anyway.....

TNW
cl

The Naked Whiz wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 12:57:03 -0500, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
> What makes you say Cowboy is "chemical-laden"? Other than the odd
> "strange thing" to be found in the occasional bag, it is all wood
> charcoal, just cut up scrap pieces.

How old is your review on cowboy? (6/2002) Reason I ask is that I've
heard of changes. So have you used it since the review?

-CAL
Duwop

Steve Wertz wrote:
> Therefore their claims that they only use untreated wood is false.
> heck, they get all the wood secondhand, so they're not really in a
> position to claim anything about the absolute nature of their
> wood.

In any case, if it's anything like theBBQ Galore scrap wood I've used, it's
distinctly inferior to a product like Royal Oak. The light pieces of scrap
burns fast, cool with very little smoke taste. The very little smoke taste
could be seen as an advantage in some cases, but the light wood burning fast
and cool can't.
And reports of plywood? Forgetaboutit.

The Naked Whiz

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 12:01:28 GMT, cl > wrote:

>The Naked Whiz wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 12:57:03 -0500, Steve Wertz
>> > wrote:
>>
>> What makes you say Cowboy is "chemical-laden"? Other than the odd
>> "strange thing" to be found in the occasional bag, it is all wood
>> charcoal, just cut up scrap pieces.

>How old is your review on cowboy? (6/2002) Reason I ask is that I've
>heard of changes. So have you used it since the review?
>
>-CAL

Yes, I've burned a couple of bags for testing purposes since the first
of the year. I found a piece of plywood in one bag (on top, of
course) and otherwise haven't had any problems. Granted, it isn't the
best stuff in the world, but I wouldn't call it "chemicla laden."
FWIW, they said they don't know how the plywood got in there (keep
reading.... :-) ) because none of their suppliers manufacture such
plywood. I can guess how it gets in there, but Cowboy needs to keep a
closer eye on things, fer sure. When I use it, I just keep my eyes
open for funny things. Which is probably not a bad idea for any lump.

TNW

Lewzephyr

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 07:47:03 -0700, I needed a babel fish to understand
"Duwop" > :

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>> Therefore their claims that they only use untreated wood is false.
>> heck, they get all the wood secondhand, so they're not really in a
>> position to claim anything about the absolute nature of their
>> wood.

>In any case, if it's anything like theBBQ Galore scrap wood I've used, it's
>distinctly inferior to a product like Royal Oak. The light pieces of scrap
>burns fast, cool with very little smoke taste. The very little smoke taste
>could be seen as an advantage in some cases, but the light wood burning fast
>and cool can't.
>And reports of plywood? Forgetaboutit.

I picked up Real Flavor Lump Charcoal from Walmart, for about $5 for
10lbs. and from http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag
it says it is made by Royal Oak, in fact supposedly the same product,
but packaged differently for Walmart.

I was very please with what the coal looked like, and found no odd
pieces of wood.

This is all from the newly converted to lump Lew.

Duwop

Lewzephyr wrote:
> I picked up Real Flavor Lump Charcoal from Walmart, for about $5 for
> 10lbs. and from http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag
> it says it is made by Royal Oak, in fact supposedly the same product,
> but packaged differently for Walmart.
>
> I was very please with what the coal looked like, and found no odd
> pieces of wood.
>
> This is all from the newly converted to lump Lew.

Good for ya, Royal oak is the national gold standard for lump as far as I'm
concerned, so you got some good stuff there. No re-used lumber in their
product. You might want keep an eye out for specials on this stuff, lots of
reports of end of season specials, mistakes, etc.etc. from Walmart on this
product, so keep your eyes peeled and you might get this for $3/10lb. which
is a real good price.

Michael

"Duwop" > wrote in message
> Lewzephyr wrote:
> > I picked up Real Flavor Lump Charcoal from Walmart, for about $5 for
> > You might want keep an eye out for specials on this stuff, lots of

> reports of end of season specials, mistakes, etc.etc. from Walmart on this
> product, so keep your eyes peeled and you might get this for $3/10lb.

which
> is a real good price.

Especially keep your eye peeled for a regular Wally World closing because a
new Super store is opening nearby. Last year I got over 300 #'s of lump for
just about twenty bucks. A few months ago I was able to get it for a $1 a
bag by stopping by a Super Wally World construction site and asking where
the old WW was. Unfortunately I had my car and not my truck so I could only
get ten bags.

Ralph

Several of us are getting about 1500 lbs shipped out to us, for some it's
the second buy. It is great, burns very long and very controllably. I can
keep the temp down to 170F for long periods or well over 600F. It also
leaves very little ash and has a very mild and neutral flavor.

Good stuff.

"KKPdude" > wrote in message
> Anybody out there tried the Kamado extruded coconut lump?
>
> The Dude

Buzz1

"KKPdude" > wrote in message
> Anybody out there tried the Kamado extruded coconut lump?
>
> The Dude

just got 500lbs to try in the bws--worked darn good--imo of course. Took a
bit longer to get the cooker to temp but then held the temp without
adjustments for seven hrs---think I like it

Buzz

BOB

Buzz1 wrote:
> "KKPdude" > wrote in message
>> Anybody out there tried the Kamado extruded coconut lump?
>>
>> The Dude

> just got 500lbs to try in the bws--worked darn good--imo of course. Took a
> bit longer to get the cooker to temp but then held the temp without
> adjustments for seven hrs---think I like it
>
> Buzz

You're correct, you *do* like it! I'll only use other if I mess up and run out
of the K-Lump.

BOB

Buzz1

" BOB" > wrote in message
> Buzz1 wrote:
> > "KKPdude" > wrote in message
> >> Anybody out there tried the Kamado extruded coconut lump?
> >>
> >> The Dude

> > just got 500lbs to try in the bws--worked darn good--imo of course.

Took a
> > bit longer to get the cooker to temp but then held the temp without
> > adjustments for seven hrs---think I like it
> >
> > Buzz

> You're correct, you *do* like it! I'll only use other if I mess up and

run out
> of the K-Lump.

or ya need to raise the cooker temp in a hurry--think a chimney of regular
lump would be better for those times when you need more heat in a hurry!!!
but wwill check that out at the next contest

Buzz

Tyler Hopper

"The Naked Whiz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 12:57:03 -0500, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 15:02:01 GMT, "JakBQuik"
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Oh yeah, I remember that Richard (of Kamado) said they were trying to reach
> >>an agreement with Whole Foods to distribute it.

> >That would certainly be better than that chemical-laden Cowboy
> >Lump they're selling now (repackaged as Whole Foods house brand).
> >
> >-sw

> What makes you say Cowboy is "chemical-laden"? Other than the odd
> "strange thing" to be found in the occasional bag, it is all wood
> charcoal, just cut up scrap pieces.
>
> TNW

Whiz, I have found your data base to be an excellent resource and have wanted to
thank you for the effort.

But I don't like Cowboy either. I used it several times and it was always a
pain. One batch was impossible to keep lit. The next got too hot and I couldn't
control it. It all just smelled bad. I wouldn't say chemical by any means but it
was just nasty.

I'm fortunate to be in an area where I can get B&B easily and use it
exclusively.

Again, thanks for your efforts and a nice contribution to the Q community.

_________
ht_redneck

BOB

Buzz1 wrote:
> " BOB" > wrote in message
>> Buzz1 wrote:

>>> just got 500lbs to try in the bws--worked darn good--imo of course. Took a
>>> bit longer to get the cooker to temp but then held the temp without
>>> adjustments for seven hrs---think I like it
>>>
>>> Buzz

>> You're correct, you *do* like it! I'll only use other if I mess up and run
>> out of the K-Lump.
>>

> or ya need to raise the cooker temp in a hurry--think a chimney of regular
> lump would be better for those times when you need more heat in a hurry!!!
> but wwill check that out at the next contest
>
> Buzz

Hmmmm! I've never needed to raise the temperature in a hurry, I usually adjust
the vents and wait 20 to 30 minutes (or whatever it takes). I'll store your tip
for when I do need to raise temps in a hurry (competition's about the only time
I can think of right now).

BOB

Douglas Barber

>>>(Various posts merged without attribution):

>>or ya need to raise the cooker temp in a hurry--think a chimney of regular
>>lump would be better for those times when you need more heat in a hurry!!!
>>but wwill check that out at the next contest

> Hmmmm! I've never needed to raise the temperature in a hurry, I usually adjust
> the vents and wait 20 to 30 minutes (or whatever it takes). I'll store your tip
> for when I do need to raise temps in a hurry (competition's about the only time
> I can think of right now).

You can get this stuff to light and develop its full heat potential in a
hurry, in a charcoal chimney, if you fill the chimney about 1/4 or 1/5
full of regular lump charcoal, then put the extruded charcoal on top.
Still takes a little longer than regular lump; you can help the process
along by turning the unlit faces of the coals toward the well-lit lump
with long-handled tongs as things develop. Obvious drawback is that this
only works one chimbley at a time. Quite adequate for getting a bed of
extruded charcoal going manion-style in a WSM so that you're ready to
add meat within a total of about 45-60 minutes after lighting the first
match.

TNW mentioned his extremely informative web page,
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpextruded.htm
in this group earlier in this thread, and in those pages, he recommends
mixing extruded and lump for easier/faster lighting. Pouring a chimney
lit the way I've described onto a bed of mixed, unlit extruded + lump
would probably be the fastest way to get a smoker that wanter a bigger
fire than a WSM up to temp, or to get any smoker up to an unusually high
temp, in a way that would require minimal attention afterward.