Han

Default Weber grill experience

I didn't want to buy my Weber after the patio is done. Which will be
in late June. But, something happened. I was at Sears buying a new
lawn mower. As I was paying, I probed the sales about Weber grills. He
asked me which model. "Genesis Gold C" I replied. He said "If you pick
up both today, I'll give you 10% off on the whole purchase". Well, the
Weber end up in my garage 30 min later. You know the story.
It's been bit more than two weeks since I bought the Weber Genesis
Gold C. We have grilled 8 times on it. Including scallop, baby back
ribs, country style ribs, spare ribs, fish, stack and some vegetables.
ALL CAME OUT PERFECTLY. If you were doing research like I did. You can
stop right here. You don't even need to finish this review. Just go
and buy a Weber Genesis grill Gold or Silver, you will be a happy
person for at least 20 years. Just like me. ;-)

I used three months researching gas grills. Checked into brands
including Jenn-Air, NexGrill, Char-Broil, COSTCO brands and Weber. I
emphasized on two things, how well does the grill cook and how long
will the grill last. I don't care how bad or cheap it looks, don't
care about any special features (smoker tray, rotisserie kit). What I
found out from reading reviews on alt.food.barbecue, amazon.com and
several other grilling/barbecue web sites is that countless people
swear on their Weber gas grill, all the other brands together have
less than a hand full of people. Also buying and reading the two best
grilling book before the purchase helped me a lot in what I should
really look into in detail.
The two books a
Weber's Big Book of Grilling
by Jamie Purviance
How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques
by Steven Raichlen, Greg Schneider

I am, or shall I dare say "was" :-), not an expert griller. I was able
to fully understand what the books said and able to follow the books.
Which results in perfect food. My ribs are better than the ones from
Sweet Water Tavern. The baby back ribs from Sweet Water Tavern was my
family's favorite. Which costs $19 a rack. With $19, we can have 4
full racks now. Anyways, back to the books. The Weber book explains in
detail about the characters of different food and also how to, not
just deal with them, take advantage of their characters. I was able to
understand the grill better because I understand the food, which the
grill is designed to deal with, better.

I am not going to say too much about grills other than Weber's because
I've never used them. Other people in this news group can give better
wisdom. All the knowledge I have about them is from other people's
experience. The conclusion I draw from my research, alt.food.barbecue,
web sites, Consumer Report and a cooking magazine(forgot name), is
that if you want the same cook quality like Weber, you would have to
pay more than $1200 on other brands. And Weber throw in the
unparalleled durability and quality pre/post sale customer service for
free.

I bought the Genesis Gold C because of the durability of Stainless
steel parts. Though many people in their review said the cast iron
sear stack better. I still went for the stainless steel and paid more.
Now, after 3 meal of perfectly seared stack, I realized that I could
have saved $100. No regret though. I would not recommend stainless
steel grates other than the solid thick bar type grates on other
brand's grill. The reason Weber's relative thin stainless steel grates
can still sear great is because the grill can reach 800F. Yes, you
read me correctly, my Weber can reach Eight Hundred Degree F with only
36000 BTUs. This actually caused me some problem when I tried to do
some medium temperature cooking. The grill would not drop below 300F.
I read about this in reviews and also called Weber. The reason is that
the new stainless steal cover reflects heat too well. After several
usage, the inside of cover looks dark brown and black and the grill
surly can drop to around 250F now.

Not like the Coleman, which grills food pretty well but took my friend
6 hours to assemble. My Weber took me 15 min to assemble. Only 8 big
scrolls. Weber even provides tools to do it.

Weber's customer service is perfect. Never had to wait for more than 2
min. You might say if the grill's quality is good, why would you ever
call customer support. This might be true for you expert grillers, but
not for me. I appreciate very much Weber support people's courtesy and
knowledge of their product.

I can't say my Weber is the best looking grill. To be honest, it
actually look cheap. When my wife saw my Weber the first time, she
said "What, you spent $530 for this?" I said "Wait till you try the
baby back ribs". She now constantly beg me to grill. Partly because
then she does not have to cook, but I believe it's mostly because the
quality of food from "My Weber". :-)
Bob Hayden

So...I guess you like it?

I recently did all the research and everyting...and what you are saying is
what I found...not too many bad things said about the Weber. It is a great
product.

Despite that, I bought the Costco Front Ave Grill...and am also happy with
it and have used it dozens of times in the last 6 weeks. I was in dire need
of the grill for a party and could not get the Weber (Gold C just like
yours) at a price I was happy with. For $400 I got a good sized Stainless
Steel grill with rotisserie and cover. No complaints.

I must say that if the Weber had a back burner for the rotisserie, then it
would have been very hard to turn down.

Glad you like your Weber...it will do well for you for many years!

Bob in RSM, CA

"Han" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]
>
> Not like the Coleman, which grills food pretty well but took my friend
> 6 hours to assemble. My Weber took me 15 min to assemble. Only 8 big
> scrolls. Weber even provides tools to do it.
>
> Weber's customer service is perfect. Never had to wait for more than 2
> min. You might say if the grill's quality is good, why would you ever
> call customer support. This might be true for you expert grillers, but
> not for me. I appreciate very much Weber support people's courtesy and
> knowledge of their product.
>
> I can't say my Weber is the best looking grill. To be honest, it
> actually look cheap. When my wife saw my Weber the first time, she
> said "What, you spent $530 for this?" I said "Wait till you try the
> baby back ribs". She now constantly beg me to grill. Partly because
> then she does not have to cook, but I believe it's mostly because the

Dave Bugg

Han wrote:

> The two books a
> Weber's Big Book of Grilling
> by Jamie Purviance
> How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques
> by Steven Raichlen, Greg Schneider

Glad you like the Weber, they make a very good grill. If you ever decide
that you want to do barbecue, the Faq is he
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
Dave

CSS

I've had my Weber Genesis 900 (Home Depot model with cast iron grates) since
1998. The only part that has worn out has been the igniter box, which
rusted out and cost me $12 to replace. I cook on it 2-3 times a week (or
more) and have done all sorts of foods in it, from searing steaks (mine gets
to 700 F at the grates), to grilling pizza to grilling fruit for desserts to
smoking ribs and doing rotisserie chicken. It sits outside all year long.
It cooks consistently well on everything, and I know I can easily get
another 10 years out of it (but I'll probably go for a new Summit sometime
sooner, just out of greed). I also use it a couple of times a month to
roast coffee (2 pound batches of AA Kenya). It even does that well.

I've followed up the 900 purchase with a WSM smoker two years ago and, this
year, a Kettle Gold. I can say that Weber's quality runs across all product
lines, and you'll continue to be pleased with your purchase many years down
the road. I can't comment on the "high end" grills (but I'm sure someone
here can), but I did go through a couple of lesser brands (Thermos and Char
broil) before I got the Weber. Both lasted about 2 years and never cooked
anywhere near as well.

Congrats on your purchase

"Han" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]
>
> Not like the Coleman, which grills food pretty well but took my friend
> 6 hours to assemble. My Weber took me 15 min to assemble. Only 8 big
> scrolls. Weber even provides tools to do it.
>
> Weber's customer service is perfect. Never had to wait for more than 2
> min. You might say if the grill's quality is good, why would you ever
> call customer support. This might be true for you expert grillers, but
> not for me. I appreciate very much Weber support people's courtesy and
> knowledge of their product.
>
> I can't say my Weber is the best looking grill. To be honest, it
> actually look cheap. When my wife saw my Weber the first time, she
> said "What, you spent $530 for this?" I said "Wait till you try the
> baby back ribs". She now constantly beg me to grill. Partly because
> then she does not have to cook, but I believe it's mostly because the

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han View Post
[...]

Very nice post, i know that the Weber grill is the most finest quality cooking devices in the world that is used for barbecuing. Weber is well known for its wide range of grills in different series. The grills have many special features along with the specialized power mechanism to cater to the user's needs. The mostly Weber grill can be powered with electricity, gas and charcoal. I have read your information. It is very useful. So, thanks

Member

This is very nice experience and I love it. Same thing has also happened with me and my dad once when we were going for buying oven, we suddenly noticed BBQ and my father asked me to buy it.
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allistersmith View Post
This is very nice experience and I love it. Same thing has also happened with me and my dad once when we were going for buying oven, we suddenly noticed BBQ and my father asked me to buy it.
Very nice!! BBQ is very good thing for your home.
Member

Location: Australia

I herd a lot abut the weber grill. Thanks for sharing.
Member

Grilling food is really very spicy. You can make a fine quality food by using the Weber grill and its accessories.