Louis Cohen

Default Butts

A colleague at work had a birthday today, so I brought in some pork butts.
They were 7 lbs each, and I couldn't start on them until 7 PM the night
before, so I cooked a little hotter than usual - about 275-280°. When I got
up at 6 AM, the temp in the K was down to 210°, probably because the wind
had died down during the night. Still, after 11 hrs, the butts were great.
I let them rest 45 minutes and then they pulled easily. A little eastern NC
dressing, and they were just great. BTW, I used a mustard slather and some
Smart & Final cajun spice mix as the rub.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 21 May 2004 18:43:46 -0700, "Louis Cohen"
> wrote:

>A colleague at work had a birthday today, so I brought in some pork butts.
>They were 7 lbs each, and I couldn't start on them until 7 PM the night
>before, so I cooked a little hotter than usual - about 275-280°. When I got
>up at 6 AM, the temp in the K was down to 210°, probably because the wind
>had died down during the night. Still, after 11 hrs, the butts were great.
>I let them rest 45 minutes and then they pulled easily. A little eastern NC
>dressing, and they were just great. BTW, I used a mustard slather and some
>Smart & Final cajun spice mix as the rub.

You're a braver man than I, Louis. When I feed the crew at work, I
usually cook butts overnight on Saturday, then pull them whenever
they're done on Sunday. I re-heat the PP in a large crockpot Monday
morning to feed 20-25 people at noon.

Did you have to reheat the butts? Did you wait until lunchtime to pull
them, or pull them ahead of time? Any ideas about doing both ribs and
PP for the folks at work. Our office manager is retiring in a couple
weeks and has requested BBQ on her last day at work.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Louis Cohen

You've got a good plan for an organized lunch. I took the butts off the
heat at 6 AM, let them rest 45 minutes, and then pulled and dressed (vinegar
sauce) them. A couple of early starters at work (including me) had a great
breakfast with still-warm meat.

Everybody else came by when they could and heated up a plate in microwave.

I don't think I've ever tried pulling the meat after it has been chilled.
Might work. But it seems easier to pull it and dress it in the kitchen and
bring it in ready to heat-and-serve.

There is less bravery than you think - even if the meat wasn't ready to
pull, I was sure it would at least be cooked, and even slice-able smoked
pork butt is delicious.

Once, I brought a brisket in, unsliced, still warm, in a sytrofoam cooler,
and sliced it at lunchtime and served it with sides to a relatively small
group. One advantage of working for Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream (which also
makes Edy's, Nestle frozen snacks, and Haagen-Dazs) is that there are always
sytrofoam coolers free for the taking outside the mailroom.

----

10 fat butts Tutall Barbecue 6 11-07-2009 05:19 PM
10# vs two 5# butts? Jerry Barbecue 10 06-07-2006 12:54 AM