bk

Default Boston But question

OK, the butt is slathered with cheap yellow musturd and covered with a
mixture of mostly Bad Byron's Butt Rub and a bit of my own mix.

Do I cook it fat cap up, down or does it even matter?
I assume up.
Thanks in advance for the sure to come advise.

This mailbox protected from junk email by Matador

BOB

bk wrote:
> OK, the butt is slathered with cheap yellow musturd and covered with a
> mixture of mostly Bad Byron's Butt Rub and a bit of my own mix.
>
> Do I cook it fat cap up, down or does it even matter?
> I assume up.
> Thanks in advance for the sure to come advise.

Keep the fat between the meat and the heat.
IOW, if you are cooking direct, fat down. If indirect, fat up.

It will also depend on what *type* of cooker you are using.

BOB
this information was learned form the posts of the late and BBQ Great, Cuchulain
Libby, aka "Hound"

bk

" BOB" > wrote in message
> bk wrote:
> > OK, the butt is slathered with cheap yellow musturd and covered with a
> > mixture of mostly Bad Byron's Butt Rub and a bit of my own mix.
> >
> > Do I cook it fat cap up, down or does it even matter?
> > I assume up.
> > Thanks in advance for the sure to come advise.
> >

> Keep the fat between the meat and the heat.
> IOW, if you are cooking direct, fat down. If indirect, fat up.
>
> It will also depend on what *type* of cooker you are using.
>
> BOB
> this information was learned form the posts of the late and BBQ Great,

Cuchulain
> Libby, aka "Hound"

Indirect on a big green egg

BOB

bk wrote:

> This mailbox protected from junk email by Matador
> from MailFrontier, Inc. http://info.mailfrontier.com
>
> " BOB" > wrote in message
>> bk wrote:
>>> OK, the butt is slathered with cheap yellow musturd and covered with a
>>> mixture of mostly Bad Byron's Butt Rub and a bit of my own mix.
>>>
>>> Do I cook it fat cap up, down or does it even matter?
>>> I assume up.
>>> Thanks in advance for the sure to come advise.
>>>

>> Keep the fat between the meat and the heat.
>> IOW, if you are cooking direct, fat down. If indirect, fat up.
>>
>> It will also depend on what *type* of cooker you are using.
>>
>> BOB
>> this information was learned form the posts of the late and BBQ Great,
>> Cuchulain Libby, aka "Hound"
>>

> Indirect on a big green egg

In that case, ditch the heat deflector, cook fat down and get a good crust and
excellent pork.

If you feel that you *must* keep the heat deflector, cook fat up (heat will be
radiating from the dome) and end up with gereat pork, but less of the crust to
mix in with the pulled pork.

BOB

Boston Cooking School question Jean B.[_1_] Historic 12 10-07-2014 04:41 AM
Boston lleichtman Wine 1 19-04-2013 05:15 PM
AYCE in Boston or South of Boston AND AYCE PRICE CapeCodBob Sushi 3 16-10-2008 01:58 PM
Question - First smoke (Boston Butt) Karen C. Barbecue 31 03-08-2007 10:11 PM
Sea to You, Boston Peter Sushi 3 31-03-2005 10:57 PM