Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Boston Cooking School question

Hi,

Does anyone here know the years that Carrie M. Dearborn was
principal of the Boston Cooking School? (I am trying to date
something.)

Thanks,
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

"Jean B." wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone here know the years that Carrie M. Dearborn was
> principal of the Boston Cooking School? (I am trying to date
> something.)
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Jean B.

The school was founded in 1879. Mary Lincoln was director from
1879--1885. Ms Dearborn seems to have been the second director, so from
1885 to her death in 1891. She was certainly in post from 1889--1891.
That's from a biography of Fannie Farmer, who succeeded Dearborn.

That's all I got
Posted to rec.food.historic

Arri London wrote:

> "Jean B." wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone here know the years that Carrie M. Dearborn was
>> principal of the Boston Cooking School? (I am trying to date
>> something.)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Jean B.

> The school was founded in 1879. Mary Lincoln was director from
> 1879--1885. Ms Dearborn seems to have been the second director, so from
> 1885 to her death in 1891. She was certainly in post from 1889--1891.
> That's from a biography of Fannie Farmer, who succeeded Dearborn.
>
> That's all I got

Thanks, Arri. I also got a good response in my email. I was just
trying to pin down a date range for a little booklet I got.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

"Jean B." wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> >
> > "Jean B." wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Does anyone here know the years that Carrie M. Dearborn was
> >> principal of the Boston Cooking School? (I am trying to date
> >> something.)
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> --
> >> Jean B.

> > The school was founded in 1879. Mary Lincoln was director from
> > 1879--1885. Ms Dearborn seems to have been the second director, so from
> > 1885 to her death in 1891. She was certainly in post from 1889--1891.
> > That's from a biography of Fannie Farmer, who succeeded Dearborn.
> >
> > That's all I got

> Thanks, Arri. I also got a good response in my email. I was just
> trying to pin down a date range for a little booklet I got.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Did all the dates agree?
Posted to rec.food.historic

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 20:38:31 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
>>
>> "Jean B." wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does anyone here know the years that Carrie M. Dearborn was
>>> principal of the Boston Cooking School? (I am trying to date
>>> something.)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> --
>>> Jean B.

>> The school was founded in 1879. Mary Lincoln was director from
>> 1879--1885. Ms Dearborn seems to have been the second director, so from
>> 1885 to her death in 1891. She was certainly in post from 1889--1891.
>> That's from a biography of Fannie Farmer, who succeeded Dearborn.
>>
>> That's all I got

> Thanks, Arri. I also got a good response in my email. I was just
> trying to pin down a date range for a little booklet I got.

Scan it and post it. A lot of us would be interested in whatever it
is. And it's most certainly out of copyright, even with any
renewals.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 21:16:16 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> > Thanks, Arri. I also got a good response in my email. I was just
> > trying to pin down a date range for a little booklet I got.

> Scan it and post it. A lot of us would be interested in whatever it
> is. And it's most certainly out of copyright, even with any
> renewals.

If you do decide to post it, alt.binaries.cooking would be the best
place. (It won't get propagated in this non-binary newsgroup.)

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
Posted to rec.food.historic

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 06:12:12 +0300, Opinicus wrote:

> If you do decide to post it, alt.binaries.cooking would be the best
> place. (It won't get propagated in this non-binary newsgroup.)

I think you mean alt.binaries.food, a very active group. You could
also post it on any number of picture sites. Most of them should
accept BMP, TIF, and PDF.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.historic

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 05:49:59 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> > If you do decide to post it, alt.binaries.cooking would be the best
> > place. (It won't get propagated in this non-binary newsgroup.)

> I think you mean alt.binaries.food, a very active group.

I wasn't aware of alt.binaries.food. Thanks for pointing me to it.
It's certainly a lot more active than alt.binaries.cooking!

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
Posted to rec.food.historic

Arri London wrote:

> "Jean B." wrote:
>> Arri London wrote:

>>> The school was founded in 1879. Mary Lincoln was director from
>>> 1879--1885. Ms Dearborn seems to have been the second director, so from
>>> 1885 to her death in 1891. She was certainly in post from 1889--1891.
>>> That's from a biography of Fannie Farmer, who succeeded Dearborn.
>>>
>>> That's all I got

>> Thanks, Arri. I also got a good response in my email. I was just
>> trying to pin down a date range for a little booklet I got.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> Did all the dates agree?

Not totally. I'll take the conservative approach until I can
check things out.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 20:38:31 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Arri London wrote:

>>> The school was founded in 1879. Mary Lincoln was director from
>>> 1879--1885. Ms Dearborn seems to have been the second director, so from
>>> 1885 to her death in 1891. She was certainly in post from 1889--1891.
>>> That's from a biography of Fannie Farmer, who succeeded Dearborn.
>>>
>>> That's all I got

>> Thanks, Arri. I also got a good response in my email. I was just
>> trying to pin down a date range for a little booklet I got.

> Scan it and post it. A lot of us would be interested in whatever it
> is. And it's most certainly out of copyright, even with any
> renewals.
>
> -sw

Sigh. That will be a new realm for me to explore.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:21:06 PM UTC-4, Jean B. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone here know the years that Carrie M. Dearborn was
> principal of the Boston Cooking School? (I am trying to date
> something.)
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Jean B.

Hi Jean,
I'd be interested in anything that you have found or dug up on Carrie Dearborn. She was my great Aunt :O)
Posted to rec.food.historic

Funny I randomly searched for Carrie Dearborn again and came upon your response to my original post. Yes I'm actually a Registered Dietitian prior to even knowing my great great aunt's history or my great great grandmother who also taught women how to cook! Interesting right? If you were able to find anything else out feel free to send it to . :-)