Mike McCauley

Default NBBD vs WSM

I have been using a NBBD for a number of years now and though it works
really well it is a real fuel hog. I really don't want to modify it much
cause I am not handy and I am lazy. I have seen a lot of discussion about
the WSM and was wondering how it compares to the NBBD. I also have a Weber
kettle and Weber Genesis so the wife looks at me real funny when i tell her
I need something new.
By the way, last year everyone seemed to be talking about Kamados, now
WSM's. What's the scoop?

Thanks Mike Mc

frohe

Mike McCauley wrote:
> I have been using a NBBD for a number of years now and though it works
> really well it is a real fuel hog. I really don't want to modify it
> much cause I am not handy and I am lazy. I have seen a lot of
> discussion about the WSM and was wondering how it compares to the
> NBBD. I also have a Weber kettle and Weber Genesis so the wife looks
> at me real funny when i tell her I need something new.

Ya think you got a fuel hog, come take a peek at my 55 gallon drum cooker.
Most cookers aren't fuel efficient; that's just a fact we have to deal with.

I have a WSM and it's good at temp control and is fairly fuel efficient
(weather does make a difference). But it ain't good if ya's cookin for the
masses. Yep, capacity is a drawback for the WSM.

> By the way, last year everyone seemed to be talking about Kamados,
> now WSM's. What's the scoop?

We talk about all kinds of cookers here, Mike. Not everone wants a WSM or a
Kamado or an offset cooker. The trick is gettin what suits ya best, makin
good mods and cookin in it enough to learn how to make it crank out kick ass
Q.

--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

WiScottsin

"frohe" > wrote in message
> Mike McCauley wrote:
> > I have been using a NBBD for a number of years now and though it works
> > really well it is a real fuel hog. I really don't want to modify it
> > much cause I am not handy and I am lazy. I have seen a lot of
> > discussion about the WSM and was wondering how it compares to the
> > NBBD. I also have a Weber kettle and Weber Genesis so the wife looks
> > at me real funny when i tell her I need something new.

> Ya think you got a fuel hog, come take a peek at my 55 gallon drum cooker.
> Most cookers aren't fuel efficient; that's just a fact we have to deal

with.

> I have a WSM and it's good at temp control and is fairly fuel efficient
> (weather does make a difference). But it ain't good if ya's cookin for

the
> masses. Yep, capacity is a drawback for the WSM.
>
> > By the way, last year everyone seemed to be talking about Kamados,
> > now WSM's. What's the scoop?

> We talk about all kinds of cookers here, Mike. Not everone wants a WSM or

> Kamado or an offset cooker. The trick is gettin what suits ya best,

I'm going for one of each ;-) Just got the WSM, picked up a genesis last
fall on sale, and already have a kettle and a smoky joe. Now talking the
wife in to the Kamado is going to be the tough one....

bbq

Mike McCauley wrote:
> I have been using a NBBD for a number of years now and though it works
> really well it is a real fuel hog. I really don't want to modify it much
> cause I am not handy and I am lazy. I have seen a lot of discussion about
> the WSM and was wondering how it compares to the NBBD. I also have a Weber
> kettle and Weber Genesis so the wife looks at me real funny when i tell her
> I need something new.
> By the way, last year everyone seemed to be talking about Kamados, now
> WSM's. What's the scoop?
>
> Thanks Mike Mc

Not sure how it compares, other than fuel usage is considerably less in
a WSM. You must already know about Weber quality since you got a couple
of weber cookers. The WSM is an excellent bullet smoker. If you like
smoke cooking, you will enjoy the WSM.

AMAZON had a sale in Febuary and that resulted in lots of threads on the
WSM in general recently. Many around here took advantage of the sale
price and purchased one, cause they don't happen often.
Kamados are a Ceramic cooker and are also highly rated here for the
product. The customer service is rated as the worst. But Kamado
owners, once they finally get their cooker really enjoy them and have
little, if any, complaints on the use of them. Kamados are quite a bit
more expensive than a WSM depending on size. A #7 Kamado could be around
$500 or more plus shipping costs, which can be around $300. A WSM costs
$179(Amazon) and free shipping.

If I had to guess, I would say that around here their are probably 3 WSM
owners to 2 Kamado owners. And a few that own both too.

As far as your wife looking at you 'funny' when mentioning you want a
new cooker, maybe you can reach an agreement that you WILL get rid of
the NBBD. Then follow through. If you have to give it away or donate
it, do so. Will be worth your while to keep peace in the household.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Rob

"frohe" > wrote in message >...
> Mike McCauley wrote:
> > I have been using a NBBD for a number of years now and though it works
> > really well it is a real fuel hog. I really don't want to modify it
> > much cause I am not handy and I am lazy. I have seen a lot of
> > discussion about the WSM and was wondering how it compares to the
> > NBBD. I also have a Weber kettle and Weber Genesis so the wife looks
> > at me real funny when i tell her I need something new.

> Ya think you got a fuel hog, come take a peek at my 55 gallon drum cooker.
> Most cookers aren't fuel efficient; that's just a fact we have to deal with.
>
> I have a WSM and it's good at temp control and is fairly fuel efficient
> (weather does make a difference). But it ain't good if ya's cookin for the
> masses. Yep, capacity is a drawback for the WSM.

What frohe said.

Rob
Q for all

~ ElektraMan ~

Mike,
I own a NBBD. After I bought the WSM I converted my NBBD into a lump-maker
for the WSM. The NBBD works better to make lump than it did to make Q. It
was terribly inefficient with fuel and difficult to control the temp as you
already know. It was really simple to make it into a lump maker. I would
recommend it for that.

Steve

"Mike McCauley" > wrote in message
> I have been using a NBBD for a number of years now and though it works
> really well it is a real fuel hog. I really don't want to modify it much
> cause I am not handy and I am lazy. I have seen a lot of discussion about
> the WSM and was wondering how it compares to the NBBD. I also have a Weber
> kettle and Weber Genesis so the wife looks at me real funny when i tell

her
> I need something new.
> By the way, last year everyone seemed to be talking about Kamados, now
> WSM's. What's the scoop?
>
> Thanks Mike Mc

Matthew L. Martin

Rob wrote:
> "frohe" > wrote in message >...
>
>>Mike McCauley wrote:
>>
>>>I have been using a NBBD for a number of years now and though it works
>>>really well it is a real fuel hog. I really don't want to modify it
>>>much cause I am not handy and I am lazy. I have seen a lot of
>>>discussion about the WSM and was wondering how it compares to the
>>>NBBD. I also have a Weber kettle and Weber Genesis so the wife looks
>>>at me real funny when i tell her I need something new.

>>Ya think you got a fuel hog, come take a peek at my 55 gallon drum cooker.
>>Most cookers aren't fuel efficient; that's just a fact we have to deal with.
>>
>>I have a WSM and it's good at temp control and is fairly fuel efficient
>>(weather does make a difference). But it ain't good if ya's cookin for the
>>masses. Yep, capacity is a drawback for the WSM.

> What frohe said.
>
> Rob
> Q for all

That's why I made the ECBX2:

<http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq>

Though I did get a WSM this year. Having a job makes all the difference
in the world.

Matthew

--
If the war in Iraq was over oil, we lost.

F.G. Whitfurrows

"WiScottsin" > wrote

> Now talking the
> wife in to the Kamado is going to be the tough one....

Dude, we gotta be men about this...just order the big K without tellin' her,
and when they drop that ******* on yer deck tell her if she don't like it
mebbe *she* oughtta go out there and move that damned thing.

Thats the way I figger I'm gonna have to get my K.<seg>

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

BOB

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
> "WiScottsin" > wrote
>
>> Now talking the
>> wife in to the Kamado is going to be the tough one....
>>

> Dude, we gotta be men about this...just order the big K without tellin' her,
> and when they drop that ******* on yer deck tell her if she don't like it
> mebbe *she* oughtta go out there and move that damned thing.
>
> Thats the way I figger I'm gonna have to get my K.<seg>
>
> --
> Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
> and his 6" boner

Don't get the wheeled cart...

F.G. Whitfurrows

" BOB" > wrote

> Don't get the wheeled cart...

Oh, good point. right over the edge of the deck it would go, huh? Lemme mark
that down in my handy dandy Blues Clues notebook.

Do...not...get...whee...

Thanks BOB.:>)

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

NBBD mod question Grant Erwin Barbecue 6 20-01-2008 04:04 AM
NBBD Restoration BKahuna Barbecue 9 19-09-2004 10:02 PM
NBBD Restoration BKahuna Barbecue 0 16-09-2004 04:15 PM
Starting to love my NBBD.... Michael C. Neel Barbecue 3 03-06-2004 01:59 PM
Pizza stone in an NBBD? Rob Barbecue 1 19-03-2004 01:53 AM