M&M

Default hickory wood chunks questions

On 8-Apr-2004, Eddie > wrote:
<snippage>

> Now for questions, what's the difference between chunks and lump?

Chunks are raw wood. Lump is baked (carbonized) chunks.

>The
> bags say you can use chunks as a primary fuel instead of charcoal.

Yep sir. You can. Lots of folks use raw wood, but the preferred method
is to burn it down to coals before putting it in the pit. Otherwise the
smoke is hard to control. Can be done though.

> Does chunk last as long as lump?

Don't know. I've used logs, but not chunks.

>Wouldn't chunks be difficult to
> start? On the bag it recommends stacking in pyramid and using
> newspaper. Wouldn't a chimney work?

Wood isn't particularly had to start. You do have a fairly lengthy
delay before you get enough heat to effectively manage the smoke.
Any time you let the fire get too low and then have to add more
fuel, intense smoke is going to be a problem. You have to size the
fire very carefully and then keep up with it practically minute by
minute. Too big, too much heat. Too small, too hard to control.

>How about flavor?

If you can control it, you can't beat the flavor, provided the type
of wood suits your taste. Lot of people complain about mesquite
for instance and raw mesquite in a confined pit is a real bitch.
Hickory chunks should be managable.

Don't risk anything expensive until you figure it out. Dense smoke
will really screw up an otherwise fine piece of meat.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
bbq

Eddie wrote:
> I was browsing at a Wal-Mart and found hickory wood chunks for $4.97 a
> 2/3 cubic foot bag. Weight about 19 lbs. I then did a web search and
> found a site that sells the same thing for $7.00 for a 1/3 cubic foot
> bag and weight of 10 lbs. Plus shipping charges. So, is Wal-Mart
> chunks a good buy? I would think so.
> I have never used hickory wood chunks before.
> Now for questions, what's the difference between chunks and lump? The
> bags say you can use chunks as a primary fuel instead of charcoal.
> Does chunk last as long as lump? Wouldn't chunks be difficult to
> start? On the bag it recommends stacking in pyramid and using
> newspaper. Wouldn't a chimney work? How about flavor?
> Any chunk users out there?
> I'm thinking of getting 4 or 5 bags.
> Eddie

Eddie,
Lump is charred wood. I have seen instructions on the net for making
lump, but is difficult for me to explain in a posting. So I will just
say that lump is made from a wood and is black. And regular chunks, are
just that, chunks of wood. Have never tried starting chunks, but yes I
would imagine a chimney would work. Though you may need to use some
kindling to help get it started. Or lots of newspaper.

There was a thread recently on whether lump produces any flavor. The
consensus it seemed, was that lump produces little flavor. Chunks
though, I would guess would produce a more pronounced flavor than using
a few chunks in a batch of coals or lump.

At $5/20 lb. buy some and try it out. Let us know how you like it, too.
If you don't like using all chunks, obviously you can go back to using a
few chunks on coals/lump.

HTH.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Nathan Lau

Eddie wrote:
> I was browsing at a Wal-Mart and found hickory wood chunks for $4.97 a
> 2/3 cubic foot bag. Weight about 19 lbs. I then did a web search and
> found a site that sells the same thing for $7.00 for a 1/3 cubic foot
> bag and weight of 10 lbs. Plus shipping charges. So, is Wal-Mart
> chunks a good buy? I would think so.
> I have never used hickory wood chunks before.
> Now for questions, what's the difference between chunks and lump? The
> bags say you can use chunks as a primary fuel instead of charcoal.
> Does chunk last as long as lump? Wouldn't chunks be difficult to
> start? On the bag it recommends stacking in pyramid and using
> newspaper. Wouldn't a chimney work? How about flavor?
> Any chunk users out there?
> I'm thinking of getting 4 or 5 bags.

Eh Eddie,

Chunk is dried wood. If you burn it, you get lots of smoke. Lump is
wood that has been processed so that it's mostly carbon. If you burn
it, you don't get much smoke.

I haven't burned straight wood as a fuel source in my WSM. In theory,
you would get longer burn time using chunk vs. lump. I throw a few
chunks onto my lit coals for smoke, and that provides plenty of flavor.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Eddie
> wrote:

> I was browsing at a Wal-Mart and found hickory wood chunks for $4.97 a
> 2/3 cubic foot bag. Weight about 19 lbs. I then did a web search and
> found a site that sells the same thing for $7.00 for a 1/3 cubic foot
> bag and weight of 10 lbs. Plus shipping charges. So, is Wal-Mart
> chunks a good buy? I would think so.
> I have never used hickory wood chunks before.
> Now for questions, what's the difference between chunks and lump? The
> bags say you can use chunks as a primary fuel instead of charcoal.
> Does chunk last as long as lump? Wouldn't chunks be difficult to
> start? On the bag it recommends stacking in pyramid and using
> newspaper. Wouldn't a chimney work? How about flavor?
> Any chunk users out there?
> I'm thinking of getting 4 or 5 bags.

Using pure wood as fuel means you'll need to pre burn the chunks, kinda
like you would with briquettes. The chunks will flame up and create
lotsa nasty smoke when you first light them in a pile.
Another problem is the amount of ash they'll leave behind.
For firing up a chiminea, however, plunk'em in and light'em up.
Just don't cook over them until they're coals.

monroe(who does use this stuff wrapped in foil for smoking wood)
frohe

Eddie wrote:
> what's the difference between chunks and lump?

Chucks is raw wood that's been dried. Lump is dried chunks that have been
partially burned.

> The
> bags say you can use chunks as a primary fuel instead of charcoal.
> Does chunk last as long as lump?

The problem with usin chunks is the time in gettin them down to coals for
cookin. OTOH, get the lump lit and start cookin. Tryin to use them while
they're still burnin down to coals will give ya tons of smoke that you may
not want in the taste of your meat.

> Wouldn't chunks be difficult to
> start? On the bag it recommends stacking in pyramid and using
> newspaper. Wouldn't a chimney work?

Oh shoot yeah, you can use a chimney to get some started but you may not
have enough chunks for a cook fire.

> How about flavor?

You'll definitely get more flavor from a bunch of chunks than you will from
lump. Again, too much smoke taste may be more than you've bargained for.
Not to mention a waste of good meat.

My recommendation: Use lump for cookin and add a few chunks to add flavor.

--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Jack Curry

frohe wrote:
> Eddie wrote:
>> what's the difference between chunks and lump?

> Chucks is raw wood that's been dried. Lump is dried chunks that have
> been partially burned.
>
>> The
>> bags say you can use chunks as a primary fuel instead of charcoal.
>> Does chunk last as long as lump?

> The problem with usin chunks is the time in gettin them down to coals
> for cookin. OTOH, get the lump lit and start cookin. Tryin to use
> them while they're still burnin down to coals will give ya tons of
> smoke that you may not want in the taste of your meat.
>
>> Wouldn't chunks be difficult to
>> start? On the bag it recommends stacking in pyramid and using
>> newspaper. Wouldn't a chimney work?

> Oh shoot yeah, you can use a chimney to get some started but you may
> not have enough chunks for a cook fire.
>
>> How about flavor?

> You'll definitely get more flavor from a bunch of chunks than you
> will from lump. Again, too much smoke taste may be more than you've
> bargained for. Not to mention a waste of good meat.
>
> My recommendation: Use lump for cookin and add a few chunks to add
> flavor.

Noddin' atcha, frohe.

Jack Curry

Edwin Pawlowski

"Eddie" > wrote in message
> I was browsing at a Wal-Mart and found hickory wood chunks for $4.97 a
> 2/3 cubic foot bag. Weight about 19 lbs. I then did a web search and
> found a site that sells the same thing for $7.00 for a 1/3 cubic foot
> bag and weight of 10 lbs. Plus shipping charges. So, is Wal-Mart
> chunks a good buy? I would think so.

Hickory is hickory. go for cheap. Better yet, seal from your neighbor's
wood pile that he h as rotting in the yard from the fireplace that he never
burned.

> I have never used hickory wood chunks before.
> Now for questions, what's the difference between chunks and lump? The
> bags say you can use chunks as a primary fuel instead of charcoal.
> Does chunk last as long as lump? Wouldn't chunks be difficult to
> start? On the bag it recommends stacking in pyramid and using
> newspaper. Wouldn't a chimney work? How about flavor?

Lump charcoal is wood that had ben transformed to carbon by burning in a low
oxygen environment. . Tha carbon will burn hot and have little smoke.
Chunks are real wood. They will be a little harder to start, yo probably
want to burn them down a bit before you start cooking on them. The best
method is to add a few chunks in wiht the lump. Too much smoke is not good
and this gives you better control. You do NOT need billowing smoke for the
hickory to do its magic adding flavor.

Yes, you can use a chimney to start it. Yes it can be used as a primary
fuel. Experiment with a mix first and depending on how you cook and what
cooker you have, the results will be more predicable
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Lewzephyr

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 01:18:33 GMT, I needed a babel fish to understand
"frohe" > :

>> How about flavor?

>You'll definitely get more flavor from a bunch of chunks than you will from
>lump. Again, too much smoke taste may be more than you've bargained for.
>Not to mention a waste of good meat.
>
>My recommendation: Use lump for cookin and add a few chunks to add flavor.

so... for smoking a Brisket, it would be advisable to use just chunks?
I ask because several that have responded to the original question
stated concern of "too much smoke" ruining the taste of the meat.

I love cooking out doors, but I don't have a massive amount of
experience, and I tend to try out various suggestions from friends and
family. (like to learn from others mistakes if I can).

Your time and insight are appreciated.
Dave Bugg

Lewzephyr wrote:

> Your time and insight are appreciated.

I suggest reading the FAQ at:
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
Dave

Lewzephyr

On Wed, 19 May 2004 14:54:26 -0700, I needed a babel fish to
understand "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> :

>Lewzephyr wrote:
>
>> Your time and insight are appreciated.

>I suggest reading the FAQ at:
>http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>Dave

Thank you, there is a wealth of information there, and it has answered
more than one (too many to count) of my questions...