Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Got some hickory and apple wood. Now what?

On 12-Jun-2011, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "ceed" > wrote in message
> newsp.vwyrcddl74icqb@christian-n80vb...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've always been using lump in my cast iron offset barrel smoker. Looks
> > like this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13631571/070504_%230004.jpg .
> > However,
> > a friend dumped off a few bags of hickory and apple wood the other day
> > so
> > I thought I would use that, but I need some advice on how to use it. Do
> > start a fire in the box and wait until it has burned down to coals, and
> > what about refueling? I guess I'm not going to good with a good 'ol fire
> >
> > in the box since that would make it far too hot for my beloved (but time
> >
> > consuming) "low and slow"?
> >
> > Advice appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > ceed (indeed)

> Depends on how much you have. If you have a limited supply, use the lump
> and add a stick or two as you go to make good smoke flavor. That three
> bags
> can last a few years.
>
> If you can get much of it, just burn it down in the firebox to get some
> coals going, then start cooking. A North Carolina purist will make coals
> and just add the coals, but many of us would just keep adding the wood.
> Not
> too much at a time though, or you get thick acrid smoke and creosote
> flavor.

Let me try to refine what Ed said without screwing it up too much. Raw wood
gives off a lotof nasty volatiles until enough heat is generated to burn
them
completely before they can reach the atmosphere (and your food).
Consequently,
the trick to using raw wood to refuel a BBQ pit fire is to add it often and
in
small enough quantities that it doesn't produce more volatiles then the
existing
fire can ignite instantly. To put it another way, the new fuel should
produce
only light, pleasant smelling smoke and no nasty acrid stuff. Lots of people
do
it, but it requires considerable more diligence then using lump or charcoal.
used to do it, but laziness overcame my ambition.

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)