Dan

Default Whole Beef Tenderloin

I'm looking for suggestions on cooking a whole beef tenderloin (approx 5.5
lbs) on my WSM over lump.

Basically:

-- Will this cut of meat benefit from low and slow BBQ?
-- For a chunk of meat this size I assume I can fire up the WSM using the
standard method?
-- Is there a basic guideline for cooking time / pound? I want to know how
long I should plan on smoking this baby.
-- Water in the pan?
-- Marinade, rub, both, none?

I've only had my WSM for a few weeks and have had good luck BBQ'ing turkey,
pork picnic, and ribs and even grilling some steaks, but I've never done a
piece of meat worth this much coin and I want to do it right -- I really
can't afford to experiment with these things too much, you know?

I'm willing to learn so c'mon experts -- teach me, man.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Walt Lewis

I do a chateau briand (sp?) in the oven which is incredable. Tried it
on the smoker ONCE and found the smoke overpowered the flavor of the
meat. I think a cut like a tenderloin does not benefit.

Just my 2 cents

Walt

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 04:30:07 GMT, "Dan" >
wrote:

>I'm looking for suggestions on cooking a whole beef tenderloin (approx 5.5
>lbs) on my WSM over lump.
>
>Basically:
>
>-- Will this cut of meat benefit from low and slow BBQ?
>-- For a chunk of meat this size I assume I can fire up the WSM using the
>standard method?
>-- Is there a basic guideline for cooking time / pound? I want to know how
>long I should plan on smoking this baby.
>-- Water in the pan?
>-- Marinade, rub, both, none?
>
>I've only had my WSM for a few weeks and have had good luck BBQ'ing turkey,
>pork picnic, and ribs and even grilling some steaks, but I've never done a
>piece of meat worth this much coin and I want to do it right -- I really
>can't afford to experiment with these things too much, you know?
>
>I'm willing to learn so c'mon experts -- teach me, man.
>
>Thanks in advance everyone!

BKahuna

wrote:

>I'm looking for suggestions on cooking a whole beef tenderloin (approx 5.5
>lbs) on my WSM over lump.
>
>Basically:
>
>-- Will this cut of meat benefit from low and slow BBQ?
>-- For a chunk of meat this size I assume I can fire up the WSM using the
>standard method?
>-- Is there a basic guideline for cooking time / pound? I want to know how
>long I should plan on smoking this baby.
>-- Water in the pan?
>-- Marinade, rub, both, none?
>
>I've only had my WSM for a few weeks and have had good luck BBQ'ing turkey,
>pork picnic, and ribs and even grilling some steaks, but I've never done a
>piece of meat worth this much coin and I want to do it right -- I really
>can't afford to experiment with these things too much, you know?
>
>I'm willing to learn so c'mon experts -- teach me, man.
>
>Thanks in advance everyone!

Beef tenderloin is the most tender but relatively unflavorful cut of
beef. It's best suited to short periods of higher heat. Being as
lean as it is, barbequeing is not the way to go.

~ ElektraMan ~

Cut it into 4" pieces and grill it. Don't smoke it. I grill them often and
they are fabulous grilled over high heat medium rare.

Steve

"Dan" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for suggestions on cooking a whole beef tenderloin (approx 5.5
> lbs) on my WSM over lump.
>
> Basically:
>
> -- Will this cut of meat benefit from low and slow BBQ?
> -- For a chunk of meat this size I assume I can fire up the WSM using the
> standard method?
> -- Is there a basic guideline for cooking time / pound? I want to know

how
> long I should plan on smoking this baby.
> -- Water in the pan?
> -- Marinade, rub, both, none?
>
> I've only had my WSM for a few weeks and have had good luck BBQ'ing

turkey,
> pork picnic, and ribs and even grilling some steaks, but I've never done a
> piece of meat worth this much coin and I want to do it right -- I really
> can't afford to experiment with these things too much, you know?
>
> I'm willing to learn so c'mon experts -- teach me, man.
>
> Thanks in advance everyone!

Monroe, of course...

In article <j1b4c.780985$X%5.528041@pd7tw2no>, "Dan"
> wrote:

> I'm looking for suggestions on cooking a whole beef tenderloin (approx 5.5
> lbs) on my WSM over lump.
>
> Basically:
>
> -- Will this cut of meat benefit from low and slow BBQ?
> -- For a chunk of meat this size I assume I can fire up the WSM using the
> standard method?
> -- Is there a basic guideline for cooking time / pound? I want to know how
> long I should plan on smoking this baby.
> -- Water in the pan?
> -- Marinade, rub, both, none?
>
> I've only had my WSM for a few weeks and have had good luck BBQ'ing turkey,
> pork picnic, and ribs and even grilling some steaks, but I've never done a
> piece of meat worth this much coin and I want to do it right -- I really
> can't afford to experiment with these things too much, you know?
>
> I'm willing to learn so c'mon experts -- teach me, man.
>
> Thanks in advance everyone!

If you must smoke it-(this is a poor cut to smoke) do it at 300F until
it's 135-140 internal. Rub is up to you-there is so little flavor in
tenderloin and it's so lean-I'd recommend just S&P and mebbe some red
pepper.
I'd be more inclined to slice it into thick steaks and grill them.

monroe(brisket,clod or chuck is for Q'ing)

cory

Monroe, of course... wrote:

<snip>

> If you must smoke it-(this is a poor cut to smoke) do it at 300F until
> it's 135-140 internal. Rub is up to you-there is so little flavor in
> tenderloin and it's so lean-I'd recommend just S&P and mebbe some red
> pepper.
> I'd be more inclined to slice it into thick steaks and grill them.
>
> monroe(brisket,clod or chuck is for Q'ing)

I agree that grilling or roasting are better ways of preparing
tenderloin. If you want smoke flavor, I suggest cold-smoking it rather
than hot-smoking, followed by a quick trip to the grill.

Marinated Beef Tenderloin lottery75115 Recipes (moderated) 0 09-01-2006 09:45 PM
Roast beef tenderloin Opinicus Historic 1 22-12-2005 08:23 PM
Beef Tenderloin Sauté Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-07-2005 10:40 PM
Beef Tenderloin jmcquown General Cooking 3 08-06-2005 06:35 PM
Beef tenderloin DJS0302 General Cooking 6 26-12-2004 04:43 PM