Ol' Hippie

Default PING: "Reg"

Hi friend you posted a seafood sausage recipe and I have some questions will
you email me so we don't **** anyone off?

--
Bruce-n-Gold Beach
Ol' Hippie®

Reg

Ol' Hippie wrote:

> Hi friend you posted a seafood sausage recipe and I have some questions will
> you email me so we don't **** anyone off?

Hey Dude,

Gold Beach, eh? I bet that's some nice country up there in OR (I had to look
it up I admit).

Actually I believe smoked sausage is quite on-topic for this group.
I say go ahead and post away. But if you really feel strongly about
keeping it out of AFB drop me a line at the address below and we can
talk privately.

Ol' Hippie

Ok well my questions are as follows, take a hit of Grame's herb and follow
me.

1. The Mousseline WTFIT (what the *f...* is that)
2.in the garnish is 2 lbs of more seafood is that raw or cooked? is there a
reason not to combime all in the beginning?
3. ok need a taste of the smoked turkey breast that came off an hour ago.
lots of fire left so I put in a plate of mashed potatoes to soak up a
bit-o-smoke, hope it's good you guys make me HONGREE.

--
" Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely,
in one pretty, well preserved piece,

Reg

Ol' Hippie wrote:

> 1. The Mousseline WTFIT (what the *f...* is that)

It's basically a meat puree. Normally when you mix sausage you want to
keep the fat and meat in separate, integral pieces and avoid smearing
them together. A mousseline is an emulsion, which means you mix it enough
and allow the temperature to rise just enough to where the meat and fat
blend together. Hence the use of a food processor instead of a mixer,
or mixing by hand.

You could just as well refer to the mousseline part as "the emulsion".
Any emulsified sausage is made from a mousseline. Like hot dogs, for
instance.

> 2.in the garnish is 2 lbs of more seafood is that raw or cooked? is there a
> reason not to combime all in the beginning?

The "garnish" part is supposed to remain chunky and separate from
the mousseline, like in a mortadella loaf. It has big chunks of pork
fat in it. The chunks are the garnish part which remain suspended in the
meat mixture, not blended in. If you include the garnish in the beginning
it will get mixed into the puree and that's not what you want. You want
to fold it into the mousseline at the end so it stays chunky and
separate from the rest of the mixture.

The garnish ingredient(s) would best go in uncooked. You can use cooked
ingredients if you want. That's not a bad way to use up your leftovers.
The problem is you'll be cooking it a second time when you smoke
the sausage. It may end up overcooked that way, depending on the
ingredient, the amount it's cooked, etc.

> 3. ok need a taste of the smoked turkey breast that came off an hour ago.
> lots of fire left so I put in a plate of mashed potatoes to soak up a
> bit-o-smoke, hope it's good you guys make me HONGREE.

Now that sounds darn good.

Reg

Reg wrote:

> Any emulsified sausage is made from a mousseline.

I should correct my own statement here. A mousseline by definition
contains cream. So while the seafood sausage consists of a mousseline
not all emulsified sausages do.

Graeme... in London

Default "Reg"

"Ol' Hippie" <olhippieATcharterDOTnet> wrote in message
> Hi friend you posted a seafood sausage recipe and I have some questions

will
> you email me so we don't **** anyone off?
>
> --
> Bruce-n-Gold Beach
> Ol' Hippie$B%g(B

Bruce,

I smoked some fish sausages last summer and they came out great. The recipe
was along these lines. You could really use any type of fish, but this is
what I used. Simple to prepare by anyone's standards.

1lb White fish fillets
2oz crab meat
6 scallops with the corals
1 egg white
Salt/Pepper
1/4 pint double cream
Cayenne Pepper
Parsley
a little sunflower oil

Cut the fish into small pieces and place in a food processor. Chill for 30
minutes. Cut the crab meat, scallops and corals into 1/2" pieces and chill.

After 30 minutes add the egg white and seasoning to the white fish and
process until smooth. With the machine running, pour in the cream in a
steady stream. This is important, DO NOT over process at this stage as the
mixture can curdle (as I found out on my 1st attempt). Fold the crab,
scallops, salt, pepper and cayenne into the mixture along with the parsley.

Divide the mixture into 8 and spoon onto 8 pieces of clingfilm. Form the
shape into a sausage shape then carefully roll up the clingfilm, twisting
the ends firmly to seal.

Refrigerate until needed. Remove from the clingfilm carefully. They should
have set, however if you are not sure, freeze for 20 minutes. I brushed them
with a little oil prior to placing them in the smoker.

Hope this is of help.

Graeme

Ping sf Janet B General Cooking 2 16-03-2015 07:05 PM
Ping: Ya BUM kilikini General Cooking 4 20-07-2007 08:33 PM
Ping sf:Where are you? Christine Dabney General Cooking 8 07-02-2007 02:53 AM
PING: ANYONE! MoM General Cooking 18 03-12-2005 02:41 PM