Jason in Dallas

Default Sale at Amazon on grill parts until February 29, 2004

I was looking for Weber Genesis gas grill parts and their prices are good
already (eg. $37.99 for stainless steel Silver-B Flavorizer bars), plus this
makes it a steal if you need at least $129 worth of outdoor-type stuff:

"Spend $129 or more on Outdoor Living products offered by Amazon.com between
February 1 and February 29, 2004, and $29 will be deducted from your order
total. Just add the products to your cart and use this promotional code at
checkout: LEAP29REBATE."

Jason in Dallas

And don't forget they have free standard ground shipping which will save
even more.

"Jason in Dallas" > wrote in message
m...
> I was looking for Weber Genesis gas grill parts and their prices are good
> already (eg. $37.99 for stainless steel Silver-B Flavorizer bars), plus

this
> makes it a steal if you need at least $129 worth of outdoor-type stuff:
>
> "Spend $129 or more on Outdoor Living products offered by Amazon.com

between
> February 1 and February 29, 2004, and $29 will be deducted from your order
> total. Just add the products to your cart and use this promotional code at
> checkout: LEAP29REBATE."

Kyle Tucker

In article > ,
"Jason in Dallas" > writes:

> "Spend $129 or more on Outdoor Living products offered by Amazon.com between
> February 1 and February 29, 2004, and $29 will be deducted from your order
> total. Just add the products to your cart and use this promotional code at
> checkout: LEAP29REBATE."

Damn, I just ordered a WSM (decided against the gun safe) from
virtualweberbullet.com 5 days ago and missed this offer using
the link from there. I've got a message into Amazon to see if
they'll apply the code. I doubt it.

--
- Kyle
Jason in Dallas

Yep, a WSM from Amazon is only $149 shipped using this deal right now. I'll
be ordering one this evening. Nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-boo-boo! (couldn't
resist, sorry)

<kylet@ s h 0 r e . n 3 t (Kyle Tucker)> wrote in message
> Damn, I just ordered a WSM (decided against the gun safe) from
> virtualweberbullet.com 5 days ago and missed this offer using
> the link from there. I've got a message into Amazon to see if
> they'll apply the code. I doubt it.

Kyle Tucker

In article <PzOWb.162750$U%5.726606@attbi_s03>,
I done wrote:

> Damn, I just ordered a WSM (decided against the gun safe) from
> virtualweberbullet.com 5 days ago and missed this offer using
> the link from there. I've got a message into Amazon to see if
> they'll apply the code. I doubt it.

Well I am pleasantly shocked! Reply from Amazon:

------ Message from Amazon customer rep -----

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com and bringing this to our
attention.

After looking into this order (#002-XXXXXXX-ZZZZZZZ), I found that
you were unable to apply for the $29.00 promotional .

Please accept our sincere apologies for this mishap.

I have now requested a refund in the amount of $29.00.

This refund should go through within 7-10 business days and will
appear as a credit on your next credit card billing statement.
You may also view completed refunds in Your Account by accessing the
relevant order number.

We hope you will continue to consider Amazon.com for your future
online shopping needs.

------ End of message from Amazon customer rep -----

So I got a WSM for $150 delivered. Sweet!

--
- Kyle

Jason in Dallas

Default Sale at Amazon : Jason

(an innocent bystander lamented the following after I pointed out WSMs were
going for $149 right now):
> > > Damn, I just ordered a WSM (decided against the gun safe) from
> > > virtualweberbullet.com 5 days ago and missed this offer using
> > > the link from there. I've got a message into Amazon to see if
> > > they'll apply the code. I doubt it.

(I euphorically chided back):
> >Yep, a WSM from Amazon is only $149 shipped using this deal right now.

I'll
> >be ordering one this evening. Nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-boo-boo! (couldn't
> >resist, sorry)

(Eddie pops in out of nowhere and boasts)
> Hey Jason. I have a K7. So why would I need a WSM for? If you can
> convince me that I need a WSM, I'll order it.

Hey Eddie. I have a good life. So why would I care that you have a K7? If
you can convince me that I need to I care, I'll bow to you.

M&M

On 12-Feb-2004, "Jason in Dallas" > wrote:

> (Eddie pops in out of nowhere and boasts)
> > Hey Jason. I have a K7. So why would I need a WSM for? If you can
> > convince me that I need a WSM, I'll order it.

> Hey Eddie. I have a good life. So why would I care that you have a K7?
> If
> you can convince me that I need to I care, I'll bow to you.

<snip>

Enjoyed your post Jason. I'm happy with my ECC and NB Silver. Don't
need or want any pottery. My 'Q' comes out just fine.

--
M&M ("The most remarkable thing about my mother
is that for thirty years she served the family nothing
Jason

Then please accept my apologies, clearly I misread your intent.

WSM seems the inferior device to the K7 for many reasons, although not
owning either yet I can only speculate. If you'd like to learn more about
this device and its near-cult following I suggest you visit
www.virtualweberbullet.com which is a community and support site dedicated
to the device and see what all the hoopla's about.

For example the WSM might be the superior device should you want to enter
BBQing competitions as it's more portable. Your wood loading theory might
also be correct. Hell, at $150 shipped it might just be a cost-effective
way to increase your cooking space. Suppopsedly the WSM is near goof-proof,
and its durability is legendary. And finally Weber's support is excellent.

"Eddie" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:13:30 GMT, "Jason in Dallas" >
> Whoa there partner, I'm serious. I was not even thinking it was a
> boast. It was a question, really.
> I don't know anything about the WSM. (hell, I had never even seen one
> until this thread popped up and I went to amazon) I just thought you
> might know what features it has that I could use that the K doesn't
> have.

Joe Doe

In article > , "Jason"
> wrote:

Hell, at $150 shipped it might just be a cost-effective
> way to increase your cooking space.

Weber products are excluded from this promotion according to:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...2#Restrictions
Kyle Tucker

In article >,
Eddie > writes:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:48:31 -0600, (Joe Doe)
> wrote:
>
>>Weber products are excluded from this promotion according to:

> By golly Joe, you're right.
> Never mind.
> Eddie

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...2#Restrictions

Before I emailed Amazon, I went through the motions of applying
the code against the WSM in a shopping cart and it clearly took
the $29 off showing the $150 total. I obviously didn't place the
order just to see but all indications were it was going to allow
it.

--
- Kyle

Jason

"Eddie" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 01:38:59 GMT, "Jason" > wrote:
> You know what I'd like to see from Weber? A grill
> that rises up and down. Many times I've wished I could lower the meat
> to be nearer the fire. The kettle (or any other similar grill)
> doesn't have this feature. hmm, know of one?

Yep, would be nice. Only the little hibachis to my knowledge do this.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 04:10:56 GMT, "Jason" > wrote:

>"Eddie" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 01:38:59 GMT, "Jason" > wrote:
>> You know what I'd like to see from Weber? A grill
>> that rises up and down. Many times I've wished I could lower the meat
>> to be nearer the fire. The kettle (or any other similar grill)
>> doesn't have this feature. hmm, know of one?

>Yep, would be nice. Only the little hibachis to my knowledge do this.

I believe Richard has designed one for Kamados. I remember seeing
pics of it on the K forum, but I don't see it listed in the
accessories on the K site.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:56:53 GMT, Eddie >
wrote:

>Could the WSM be
>easier to set up to grill than the K? I haven't used the grill
>feature in the K 'cause the grill is just to far from the fire.

You are only using half of your K, then. I have a 7, a 3, and a a1,
and I grill on them all, more often than I do low and slow.

Your 7 is perfectly capable of reaching a grill temp of 600-700
degrees, plenty hot for grilling. If for some reason you must have the
grill closer to the flame, buy a lower bracket and an $8 Weber
replacement grill. But there really isn't any need to do so.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"
Saunka [BOA]

"Eddie" > wrote in message

> is a lot easier than the K. In the K it's a pain. Could the

WSM be
> easier to set up to grill than the K? I haven't used the grill
> feature in the K 'cause the grill is just to far from the fire.

Does

Hey Eddie, I'm curious about this comment. My folks have a K7
that I do most of the cooking on and I've had no trouble grilling
with it. I can get it to 700 degrees in about 15 minutes. At
that temp, the distance to the fuel seems insignficant. I can
turn out fantastic medium rare steaks in 4 minutes. Are you
having temp problems?

BOB

Eddie wrote:
> I haven't used the grill
> feature in the K 'cause the grill is just to far from the fire.

What? With the lower bracket and a grill on it, it's less than an inch from the
grill to the fire. With enough charcoal, it can be touching.
You need to learn to use all the capabilities of the K by experimenting a
little.
Besides, with the temperatures up over 600 to 700 (or 1000 like I did once)
degrees, how close do you *need* to be to sear a steak?

> Does
> the WSM have a grill feature?
> Also, I used to have an ECB and I liked it. The WSM looks like an
> up-scale ECB. Maybe the WSM is better/quicker for smaller pieces of
> meats?
> Besides, I'm a sucker for new gadgets/stuff when they have a great
> price like this amazon deal.
> Thanks if you can help
> Eddie in San Jose, Cowboy fan since Eddie LeBaron

Methinks you are comparing apples, oranges and pineapples.

BOB

Jack Curry

"Eddie" > wrote in message

> The K might be OK if you use a *lot* of lump as the grill sits almost
> a foot above the fire. The Weber grill is only about 5 inches above
> the fire. In addition, I use a lot less lump. For example, twice
> this week I've grilled top sirloins and I used less than a chimney-
> full of mesquite. I would think the K would need much more.
> Since both grills are identical in diameter, I can grill the same
> amount of food, but slightly faster, with less lump, on the Weber.

Distance from fire isn't as important as amount of heat generated and
retained. A Kamado will produce heat in excess of 700° in less than 10
minutes from start, using its gas option for lighting, will sear a steak in
minutes and then can be shut down and smothered, also in a matter of
minutes, saving the unused lump. I very much doubt that a Kamado uses more
lump or that you can reach higher temperatures faster with a Weber.

Jack Curry

Default User

Eddie wrote:

> Well, seems there some out there who regularly grill using the K.

On the street that leads to the football stadium here, one of the
restaurants grills brats and dogs (and serves beer) out on the sidewalk
where the fans have to walk past. I'm pretty sure some grilling is done
on Kamados, they sure look like them.

Brian Rodenborn
BOB

Eddie wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:42:58 -0600, "Saunka [BOA]" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Eddie" > wrote in message
>>
>>> is a lot easier than the K. In the K it's a pain. Could the

>> WSM be
>>> easier to set up to grill than the K? I haven't used the grill
>>> feature in the K 'cause the grill is just to far from the fire. Does

>> Hey Eddie, I'm curious about this comment. My folks have a K7
>> that I do most of the cooking on and I've had no trouble grilling
>> with it. I can get it to 700 degrees in about 15 minutes. At
>> that temp, the distance to the fuel seems insignficant. I can
>> turn out fantastic medium rare steaks in 4 minutes. Are you
>> having temp problems?

> Well, seems there some out there who regularly grill using the K.
> I have been using my kettle Weber for about 25 years (I'm on my second
> one). Since I use only mesquite for grilling, I like the high temp-
> quick-cooking-grill-surface-close-to-the fire feature of the Weber.
> The K might be OK if you use a *lot* of lump as the grill sits almost
> a foot above the fire.

Like I said in my other post, with the lower grill, there can be less than an
onch from the lump to the grill. Like Jack said, when you finish grilling, you
shut the dampers and use the same lump for the next cook. Less than 2 pounds of
lump fills my Kamado #5, and I can use it for at least 4 or 5 cooks unless I'm
going low-and-slow.

> The Weber grill is only about 5 inches above
> the fire. In addition, I use a lot less lump. For example, twice
> this week I've grilled top sirloins and I used less than a chimney-
> full of mesquite. I would think the K would need much more.
> Since both grills are identical in diameter, I can grill the same
> amount of food, but slightly faster, with less lump, on the Weber.

Same diameter? You again are comparing apples, oranges and bananas.

> Eddie, now anxiously waiting for the WSM to keep my K7, Weber kettle,
> and Caja China company.

BOB

Pete

I tried to buy the WSM on amazon and that coupon would not work...

Said it doesn't work on Weber products.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:58:55 GMT, kylet@ s h 0 r e . n 3 t (Kyle
Tucker) wrote:

>In article <PzOWb.162750$U%5.726606@attbi_s03>,
> I done wrote:
>
>> Damn, I just ordered a WSM (decided against the gun safe) from
>> virtualweberbullet.com 5 days ago and missed this offer using
>> the link from there. I've got a message into Amazon to see if
>> they'll apply the code. I doubt it.

>Well I am pleasantly shocked! Reply from Amazon:
>
>------ Message from Amazon customer rep -----
>
>Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com and bringing this to our
>attention.
>
>After looking into this order (#002-XXXXXXX-ZZZZZZZ), I found that
>you were unable to apply for the $29.00 promotional .
>
>Please accept our sincere apologies for this mishap.
>
>I have now requested a refund in the amount of $29.00.
>
>This refund should go through within 7-10 business days and will
>appear as a credit on your next credit card billing statement.
>You may also view completed refunds in Your Account by accessing the
>relevant order number.
>
>We hope you will continue to consider Amazon.com for your future
>online shopping needs.
>
>------ End of message from Amazon customer rep -----
>
>So I got a WSM for $150 delivered. Sweet!

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:22:04 GMT, Eddie >
wrote:

>Eddie, now anxiously waiting for the WSM to keep my K7, Weber kettle,
>and Caja China company.

You're a collector, then. Okay, I can understand the impulse. But you
should tell the Kamado company that they need to credit your credit
card for half of the purchase price, because you're only using half of
your K if you're not grilling on it.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"

bbq

Jason in Dallas wrote:
> I was looking for Weber Genesis gas grill parts and their prices are good
> already (eg. $37.99 for stainless steel Silver-B Flavorizer bars), plus this
> makes it a steal if you need at least $129 worth of outdoor-type stuff:
>
> "Spend $129 or more on Outdoor Living products offered by Amazon.com between
> February 1 and February 29, 2004, and $29 will be deducted from your order
> total. Just add the products to your cart and use this promotional code at
> checkout: LEAP29REBATE."

Thank you for this information. I placed an order today for a WSM.
Should be shipped early next month. Just in time to do Corned brisket
for St Patty's day.

It's easy Q'en time for me soon.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Eddie wrote:

> I haven't used the grill
> feature in the K 'cause the grill is just to far from the fire.

It doesn't matter what the distance from the fire is, heat is gonna
grill your steak, not the flame. You can easily and quickly get the
Kamado up to 700 degrees (and beyond...) and that'll grill your meat
faster and better than most any gas or steel grill. And if you really
must have the flame "lick" your food, a bit more lump'll bring the fire
up, especially in a "lump saver" or other similar device, as will the
dripping fats. (The lump will be easily extinguished when you shut down
the K for use another day.)

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 04:10:56 GMT, "Jason" > wrote:
>

>>"Eddie" > wrote in message
. ..

>>>On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 01:38:59 GMT, "Jason" > wrote:
>>>You know what I'd like to see from Weber? A grill
>>>that rises up and down. Many times I've wished I could lower the meat
>>>to be nearer the fire. The kettle (or any other similar grill)
>>>doesn't have this feature. hmm, know of one?

>>Yep, would be nice. Only the little hibachis to my knowledge do this.
>>

> I believe Richard has designed one for Kamados. I remember seeing
> pics of it on the K forum, but I don't see it listed in the
> accessories on the K site.

It's not just the "Lower Cooking Bracket" w/smaller grill?-
http://www.kamado.com/accessories.html

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 23:35:41 GMT, Eddie >
wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:04:04 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:
>
>>Eddie wrote:
>>> I haven't used the grill
>>> feature in the K 'cause the grill is just to far from the fire.

>>What? With the lower bracket and a grill on it, it's less than an inch from the
>>grill to the fire. With enough charcoal, it can be touching.
>>You need to learn to use all the capabilities of the K by experimenting a
>>little.
>>Besides, with the temperatures up over 600 to 700 (or 1000 like I did once)
>>degrees, how close do you *need* to be to sear a steak?

>OK, OK, so I guess I have to start with getting the lower bracket,
>right? (I only have the upper bracket)

No, you don't need the lower bracket. You need to get your K up to 500
degrees or more.

> Also, won't I have to get
>another smaller grill?

If you want to use the lower bracket. A replacement grill will cost
you about 8 bucks at Home Depot.

>Just curious, will heat alone "sear" a steak? I like those grill
>marks and flame searing when I first put the steak on the grill.

To Answer Your Question

1. Get your K up to 600 degrees.

2. Place your hand palm-down on the grill for 10 seconds.

3. Scream (optional).

4. Observe your palm for evidence of sear marks.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:49:42 GMT, wrote:

>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

>>>Yep, would be nice. Only the little hibachis to my knowledge do this.
>>>

>> I believe Richard has designed one for Kamados. I remember seeing
>> pics of it on the K forum, but I don't see it listed in the
>> accessories on the K site.
>>

>It's not just the "Lower Cooking Bracket" w/smaller grill?-

http://www.kamado.com/accessories.html

No, this is an adjustable grill that can be raised and lowered inside
the K. I seem to recall that it works in conjunction with the meat
hanger. That is, it hangs from the meat hanger, with some mechanism
for adjusting the distance that it hangs above the fire.

Largely unnecessary, in my opinion, but I appreciate the idea of
giving the razor away while charging for the razor blades.