Jason

Default Praise for Weber Silver-B gas grill, and a question

I've had the thing for maybe 5 years now. Flame had gotten weak in the last
year or so, I was growing disenchanted with it. I also was pretty hacked
that the "paint" inside was peeling, fearing for my health. Luckily I found
this newsgroup and given the near-universal praise for it I decided to buy
new burners and attempt a rebuild. I also learned here the peeling was not
paint, but rather flaking grease residue. Whew.

The burners were $60 shipped which I thought was outrageous, but they
arrived in 3 days with great instructions. I see pretty much all other
parts are readily available also. I replaced the burners and voila, good as
new. I'll now bite the bullet and replace my original porcelainized
flavorizer bars which are crumbling, opting for stainless now that I know
this grill should easily last at least 2 more decades with an occasional
repair job. I used to get sick when I saw the fancy stainless gas grills at
Sam's Club for a mere $100 more complete with infrared burners, but I'm
pretty thrilled with the quality of the Weber now. In fact I'll probably
bite the bullet and get a Smoky Mountain (or whatever Weber's smoker is
called) now that I'm so sold on the brand.

By the way are the iron grates really that good? My porcelainized non-solid
grates are getting marginal and I was going to go stainless next, but if the
iron ones are noticibly better especially for steaks then I'll get those
instead. Also appreciate suggestions on the best place to buy the grates.

jdoe

The iron grates will sear a little better, but the ss will be easier to
maintain. BTW you might want to upgrade to the SS flavorizers. Also you
probably didn't need to replace the burners. In all likelihood just cleaning
them would have sufficed. A good brushing with a brass brush and a thorough
cleaning of the insides of the tubes and they're as good as new. Mine are
well over 10 with very hard use and no real signs of wear and tear.
I fell for the shiny SS at Sam's btw. Funny the Weber is still my "go to"
grill though. If the year turns out good I may try to peddle the Sam's and
get a Weber Summit. NOt as fancy but a Weber.
Larry
"Jason" > wrote in message
om...
> I've had the thing for maybe 5 years now. Flame had gotten weak in the

last
> year or so, I was growing disenchanted with it. I also was pretty hacked
> that the "paint" inside was peeling, fearing for my health. Luckily I

found
> this newsgroup and given the near-universal praise for it I decided to buy
> new burners and attempt a rebuild. I also learned here the peeling was

not
> paint, but rather flaking grease residue. Whew.
>
> The burners were $60 shipped which I thought was outrageous, but they
> arrived in 3 days with great instructions. I see pretty much all other
> parts are readily available also. I replaced the burners and voila, good

as
> new. I'll now bite the bullet and replace my original porcelainized
> flavorizer bars which are crumbling, opting for stainless now that I know
> this grill should easily last at least 2 more decades with an occasional
> repair job. I used to get sick when I saw the fancy stainless gas grills

at
> Sam's Club for a mere $100 more complete with infrared burners, but I'm
> pretty thrilled with the quality of the Weber now. In fact I'll probably
> bite the bullet and get a Smoky Mountain (or whatever Weber's smoker is
> called) now that I'm so sold on the brand.
>
> By the way are the iron grates really that good? My porcelainized

non-solid
> grates are getting marginal and I was going to go stainless next, but if

the
> iron ones are noticibly better especially for steaks then I'll get those
> instead. Also appreciate suggestions on the best place to buy the grates.

F.G. Whitfurrows

"jdoe" > wrote

>A good brushing with a brass brush and a thorough
> cleaning of the insides of the tubes and they're as good as new

Doesnt the Weber have like a 10 yr warranty? I had trouble with my burners a
coupla yrs ago and I just called em up and they replaced all three of em for
free. All I had to do was put the old ones in the supplied box they sent and
set em on the porch for the UPS guy to pick up.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Jason in Dallas

"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message
news

> Doesnt the Weber have like a 10 yr warranty? I had trouble with my burners
> coupla yrs ago and I just called em up and they replaced all three of em

for
> free. All I had to do was put the old ones in the supplied box they sent

and
> set em on the porch for the UPS guy to pick up.

I belive burners had 5-yr wrty, but I don't have the receipt anyway. And
like the poster above said my old burners are probably still good now that I
got a good look at them.

CSS

"Jason" > wrote in message
om...
> I've had the thing for maybe 5 years now. Flame had gotten weak in the

last
> year or so, I was growing disenchanted with it. I also was pretty hacked
> that the "paint" inside was peeling, fearing for my health. Luckily I

found
> this newsgroup and given the near-universal praise for it I decided to buy
> new burners and attempt a rebuild. I also learned here the peeling was

not
> paint, but rather flaking grease residue. Whew.
>
> The burners were $60 shipped which I thought was outrageous, but they
> arrived in 3 days with great instructions. I see pretty much all other
> parts are readily available also. I replaced the burners and voila, good

as
> new. I'll now bite the bullet and replace my original porcelainized
> flavorizer bars which are crumbling, opting for stainless now that I know
> this grill should easily last at least 2 more decades with an occasional
> repair job. I used to get sick when I saw the fancy stainless gas grills

at
> Sam's Club for a mere $100 more complete with infrared burners, but I'm
> pretty thrilled with the quality of the Weber now. In fact I'll probably
> bite the bullet and get a Smoky Mountain (or whatever Weber's smoker is
> called) now that I'm so sold on the brand.
>
> By the way are the iron grates really that good? My porcelainized

non-solid
> grates are getting marginal and I was going to go stainless next, but if

the
> iron ones are noticibly better especially for steaks then I'll get those
> instead. Also appreciate suggestions on the best place to buy the grates.

The cast iron grates do a "grate" job of searing. Mine get close to 700
degrees at the grate surface (Tel-tru sells a Weber grill replacement
thermometer that goes to 750 F, versus Weber's 550 F, if you're into
high-temp grilling. Model GT100R). If you are concerned about maintenance,
Weber now has porcelain coated cast iron grates that require no seasoning.
I think Home Depot even carries them, as well as the bare cast iron. I may
try them, but rust has never been a problem with my unit's grates (other
report issues, though)

5 years seems a little short for the burner life. Mine are six years old
and it is used at least twice a week, and show no signs of failure. I did
have to recently replace the igniter assembly though, as the box around it
rusted through. I agree about the stainless flavorizer bars-- I did mine
(early) last year. I also recently disassembled the lid and sanded and
repainted the black side portions -- they were looking a little grungy.
But, I suspect I will be using this grill for 10+ years with little
additional repairs. And it cooks great.

I also own a Smoky Mountain and it is built pretty much the same as their
grills-- heavy gauge porcelain-coated steel, etc. It is extremely easy to
use, and with a few minor mods, I've done 16+ hour cooks on a single load of
charcoal with minimal tending. It just makes great 'Q. "Course, it doesn't
sit on your patio looking like a red-tiled Chinese rocketship about to
blast off, but it is about the food, isn't it?

When you're serious about the WSM, take a look at the virtual Weber Bullet
site-- lots of great info and tips. Newbies always welcome!
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Kent H.

My Genesis Silver B came with cast iron grates. They work well, and may
sear slightly better than the porcelain grates. However, unless you
season them and keep them that way, they erode right in front of you.
Also you pretty much can't use them in the winter because of the
moisture. At some point I put them in plastic, bought winter porcelain
grates, and found that the meat seared very close to that of the cast
iron grate. Three years later the cast iron grates are still in plastic.
My biggest bitch is that none of the Weber grills will sear a steak with
the hood up. You cannot cook a true char-rare steak on it. I have to use
the Weber kettle to do that. However I think all the gas grills, with
the possible exception of grills with infrared burners, don't have
enough heat output to sear with the hood up.
Have you found the cheapest place to get a WSM on the internet?

Jason wrote:

> I've had the thing for maybe 5 years now. Flame had gotten weak in the last
> year or so, I was growing disenchanted with it. I also was pretty hacked
> that the "paint" inside was peeling, fearing for my health. Luckily I found
> this newsgroup and given the near-universal praise for it I decided to buy
> new burners and attempt a rebuild. I also learned here the peeling was not
> paint, but rather flaking grease residue. Whew.
>
> The burners were $60 shipped which I thought was outrageous, but they
> arrived in 3 days with great instructions. I see pretty much all other
> parts are readily available also. I replaced the burners and voila, good as
> new. I'll now bite the bullet and replace my original porcelainized
> flavorizer bars which are crumbling, opting for stainless now that I know
> this grill should easily last at least 2 more decades with an occasional
> repair job. I used to get sick when I saw the fancy stainless gas grills at
> Sam's Club for a mere $100 more complete with infrared burners, but I'm
> pretty thrilled with the quality of the Weber now. In fact I'll probably
> bite the bullet and get a Smoky Mountain (or whatever Weber's smoker is
> called) now that I'm so sold on the brand.
>
> By the way are the iron grates really that good? My porcelainized non-solid
> grates are getting marginal and I was going to go stainless next, but if the
> iron ones are noticibly better especially for steaks then I'll get those
> instead. Also appreciate suggestions on the best place to buy the grates.

Reg

Kent H. wrote:

> My biggest bitch is that none of the Weber grills will sear a steak with
> the hood up.

My silver B sure won't. The question is, why not just close the hood?

Jason in Dallas

"Kent H." > wrote in message
> (snip)
> Have you found the cheapest place to get a WSM on the internet?

Looks like Amazon is best for the WSM right now at $150 shipped using their
$29 discount code good till February 29th plus the standard free shipping.
I'm ordering one this evening with a $37 set of stainless Flavorizer bars
for the Silver-B. It'd be a nice gesture to use the link to amazon on the
excellent www.virtualweberbullet.com website to help support that community
which is what I'm going to do.

F.G. Whitfurrows

"Jason in Dallas" > wrote

> I belive burners had 5-yr wrty, but I don't have the receipt anyway. And
> like the poster above said my old burners are probably still good now that

> got a good look at them.

Well, if the burners are bad call Weber anyway. I had no receipt and had not
even registered my grill for warranty and it didnt matter. The customer
service agent registered it right there on the phone for me. She did,
however, make me try a few other things first, like cleaning the burners,
etc.

Take advantage of that warranty.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Kent H.

When you close the hood you cook the interior of the steak too much, and
the interior of the steak is not rare the way it should be. It's half
acceptable, but not OK for the $13/lb we are paying these days for a
good steak.
Cheers,
Kent

Reg wrote:

> Kent H. wrote:
>
> > My biggest bitch is that none of the Weber grills will sear a steak with
> > the hood up.

> My silver B sure won't. The question is, why not just close the hood?
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

Reg

Kent H. wrote:

> When you close the hood you cook the interior of the steak too much, and
> the interior of the steak is not rare the way it should be. It's half
> acceptable, but not OK for the $13/lb we are paying these days for a
> good steak.

Well you certainly know best how you like your own steak. I'm
wondering though, what about having the lid closed makes the cooking
effect all that different, other than to make it hotter? If the interior
is overdone for your tastes, why not just take it off the fire sooner?

M&M

On 13-Feb-2004, Reg > wrote:

> Well you certainly know best how you like your own steak. I'm
> wondering though, what about having the lid closed makes the cooking
> effect all that different, other than to make it hotter? If the interior
> is overdone for your tastes, why not just take it off the fire sooner?

With the hood up, you're applying heat to only the bottom side of the
meat wheras with the hood down you're applying heat all around (roasting).
To get a nicely done steak, you need to be able to apply high heat to only
one side at a time. If you have read this group for very long, you must
have learned that good steaks come off a 500° + grill. YMMV.
--
M&M ("The most remarkable thing about my mother
is that for thirty years she served the family nothing
Reg

M&M wrote:

> With the hood up, you're applying heat to only the bottom side of the
> meat wheras with the hood down you're applying heat all around (roasting).
> To get a nicely done steak, you need to be able to apply high heat to only
> one side at a time. If you have read this group for very long, you must
> have learned that good steaks come off a 500° + grill. YMMV.

Yes to all this. But I'm still not making a connection
between the OP's experience and my own with this particular grill.
I find it's very hot after a 15 minute warm up with the hood down, well
above 500 F. My experience with it is that if you warm it up with the
hood down it's well hot enough. I get mine pretty close to 700 F.

jdoe

In warm weather and no wind it will sear fine (mine will). Hard to believe
but with only 36k btu it actually does as well or better than the big dog
high btu sam's grill I have. In both cases though if it's windy or very cold
it's hard to get a sear, but than I've had the same issue trying to do this
over charcoal too.
One thing I'm going to try (if I keep the big dog sam's) is getting a cast
iron pot that sits down inside it and using it as a charcoal pot. Than light
up some good lump, have a good hot lump fire and use the gas side for
finishing. When the coals are done just dump 'em.
Larry
"Kent H." > wrote in message
> My Genesis Silver B came with cast iron grates. They work well, and may
> sear slightly better than the porcelain grates. However, unless you
> season them and keep them that way, they erode right in front of you.
> Also you pretty much can't use them in the winter because of the
> moisture. At some point I put them in plastic, bought winter porcelain
> grates, and found that the meat seared very close to that of the cast
> iron grate. Three years later the cast iron grates are still in plastic.
> My biggest bitch is that none of the Weber grills will sear a steak with
> the hood up. You cannot cook a true char-rare steak on it. I have to use
> the Weber kettle to do that. However I think all the gas grills, with
> the possible exception of grills with infrared burners, don't have
> enough heat output to sear with the hood up.
> Have you found the cheapest place to get a WSM on the internet?
>

> Jason wrote:
> >
> > I've had the thing for maybe 5 years now. Flame had gotten weak in the

last
> > year or so, I was growing disenchanted with it. I also was pretty

hacked
> > that the "paint" inside was peeling, fearing for my health. Luckily I

found
> > this newsgroup and given the near-universal praise for it I decided to

buy
> > new burners and attempt a rebuild. I also learned here the peeling was

not
> > paint, but rather flaking grease residue. Whew.
> >
> > The burners were $60 shipped which I thought was outrageous, but they
> > arrived in 3 days with great instructions. I see pretty much all other
> > parts are readily available also. I replaced the burners and voila,

good as
> > new. I'll now bite the bullet and replace my original porcelainized
> > flavorizer bars which are crumbling, opting for stainless now that I

know
> > this grill should easily last at least 2 more decades with an occasional
> > repair job. I used to get sick when I saw the fancy stainless gas

grills at
> > Sam's Club for a mere $100 more complete with infrared burners, but I'm
> > pretty thrilled with the quality of the Weber now. In fact I'll

probably
> > bite the bullet and get a Smoky Mountain (or whatever Weber's smoker is
> > called) now that I'm so sold on the brand.
> >
> > By the way are the iron grates really that good? My porcelainized

non-solid
> > grates are getting marginal and I was going to go stainless next, but if

the
> > iron ones are noticibly better especially for steaks then I'll get those
> > instead. Also appreciate suggestions on the best place to buy the

grates.

CSS

"Reg" > wrote in message
om...
> M&M wrote:
>
> > With the hood up, you're applying heat to only the bottom side of the
> > meat wheras with the hood down you're applying heat all around

(roasting).
> > To get a nicely done steak, you need to be able to apply high heat to

only
> > one side at a time. If you have read this group for very long, you must
> > have learned that good steaks come off a 500° + grill. YMMV.

> Yes to all this. But I'm still not making a connection
> between the OP's experience and my own with this particular grill.
> I find it's very hot after a 15 minute warm up with the hood down, well
> above 500 F. My experience with it is that if you warm it up with the
> hood down it's well hot enough. I get mine pretty close to 700 F.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

I agree. My Genesis 900 with cast iron grates gets to almost 700 F at the
grill surface after 10-15 minutes. Maybe I should hook up a TC and measure
it with the hood open, but I don't see any need-- it does fine searing the
outside of my steaks.

Jack Curry

"Reg" > wrote in message
om...
> Kent H. wrote:
>
> > When you close the hood you cook the interior of the steak too much, and
> > the interior of the steak is not rare the way it should be. It's half
> > acceptable, but not OK for the $13/lb we are paying these days for a
> > good steak.

> Well you certainly know best how you like your own steak. I'm
> wondering though, what about having the lid closed makes the cooking
> effect all that different, other than to make it hotter? If the interior
> is overdone for your tastes, why not just take it off the fire sooner?
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

You're correct, Reg. The OP (duhKent) hasn't got a vague idea of what he's
taking about. He says stupid stuff all the time. Heating a grill and
cooking with the hood down doesn't change a thing as far as searing a steak
is concerned, as long as the grill is nice and hot. I do it all the time on
my Kamado. Heat up to 650-700, toss a steak on for 1-2 minutes per side,
and either dwell the steak by closing the dampers or remove immediately for
a cool rare interior and a perfectly seared outside.

Jack Curry

Reg

Jack Curry wrote:

> Heating a grill and
> cooking with the hood down doesn't change a thing as far as searing a steak
> is concerned, as long as the grill is nice and hot. I do it all the time on
> my Kamado. Heat up to 650-700, toss a steak on for 1-2 minutes per side,
> and either dwell the steak by closing the dampers or remove immediately for
> a cool rare interior and a perfectly seared outside.

Exactly. Pretty simple if you ask me.

Kent H.

duhKent speaks:
When you cook with the hood down you are creating an oven, albeit not a
very good one. Nonetheless part of the cooking comes from all sides, and
not just from the bottom as with hood up direct radiant heat cooking.
Almost any charcoal grill where you have the coals very close to the
grate you will get good char rare steak. That changes when you put the
hood down and try to do the same thing. As stated before almost all gas
grills, and especially the Weber Silver Genesis B don't enough output
with the hood up to char the outside of the steak properly. Also, as
stated before, the infrared tech gas broiler and others that are similar
may be the exception to the above.

Jack Curry wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Kent H. wrote:
> >
> > > When you close the hood you cook the interior of the steak too much, and
> > > the interior of the steak is not rare the way it should be. It's half
> > > acceptable, but not OK for the $13/lb we are paying these days for a
> > > good steak.

> > Well you certainly know best how you like your own steak. I'm
> > wondering though, what about having the lid closed makes the cooking
> > effect all that different, other than to make it hotter? If the interior
> > is overdone for your tastes, why not just take it off the fire sooner?
> >
> > --
> > Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com
> >

> You're correct, Reg. The OP (duhKent) hasn't got a vague idea of what he's
> taking about. He says stupid stuff all the time. Heating a grill and
> cooking with the hood down doesn't change a thing as far as searing a steak
> is concerned, as long as the grill is nice and hot. I do it all the time on
> my Kamado. Heat up to 650-700, toss a steak on for 1-2 minutes per side,
> and either dwell the steak by closing the dampers or remove immediately for
> a cool rare interior and a perfectly seared outside.
>
> Jack Curry

Jack Curry

Kent H. wrote:
> duhKent speaks:
> When you cook with the hood down you are creating an oven, albeit not
> a very good one. Nonetheless part of the cooking comes from all
> sides, and not just from the bottom as with hood up direct radiant
> heat cooking. Almost any charcoal grill where you have the coals very
> close to the grate you will get good char rare steak. That changes
> when you put the hood down and try to do the same thing. As stated
> before almost all gas grills, and especially the Weber Silver Genesis
> B don't enough output with the hood up to char the outside of the
> steak properly. Also, as stated before, the infrared tech gas broiler
> and others that are similar may be the exception to the above.

I have rearranged the top-posting duhKent's ridiculous comments, to say that
duhKent is an idiot and apparently cannot understand the fact that a 1-2
minute exposure per side in a top-down grill with a temperature of 650-700°
is not going to cook the interior of a steak of more that an inch in
thickness beyond "warm."
Try it, you idiot. duhKent, you are a moron.

Jack Curry

JD

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

(snip)
> I have rearranged the top-posting duhKent's ridiculous comments, to
> say that duhKent is an idiot and apparently cannot understand the
> fact that a 1-2 minute exposure per side in a top-down grill with a
> temperature of 650-700° is not going to cook the interior of a steak
> of more that an inch in thickness beyond "warm."

For some of us anything beyond "warm" in the center is over cooked<g>

JD

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "JD"
> wrote:

> "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>
> (snip)
> > I have rearranged the top-posting duhKent's ridiculous comments, to
> > say that duhKent is an idiot and apparently cannot understand the
> > fact that a 1-2 minute exposure per side in a top-down grill with a
> > temperature of 650-700° is not going to cook the interior of a steak
> > of more that an inch in thickness beyond "warm."

> For some of us anything beyond "warm" in the center is over cooked<g>

Amen-my tried and true (for an inch thick cut) is 3 min a side at 650F.
Speaking of an inch thick, there's KuntH-sharp as a lopsided steel
ball. If he could cook a steak without a trip to the ER or the
firetrucks rolling, I'd be surprised.

monroe(warm=done)
Kent H.

Jack, as much as I am opposed to statements suggesting cerebral
synapseal ability based on what you know from a bunch of simple posts, I
must, regretfully say that you are the moron. Perhaps, even an imbecile.

Jack Curry wrote:

> > Jack Curry wrote:
> >>
> >> "Reg" > wrote in message
> >> om...

> >> You're correct, Reg. The OP (duhKent) hasn't got a vague idea of
> >> what he's taking about. He says stupid stuff all the time. Heating
> >> a grill and cooking with the hood down doesn't change a thing as far
> >> as searing a steak is concerned, as long as the grill is nice and
> >> hot. I do it all the time on my Kamado. Heat up to 650-700, toss a
> >> steak on for 1-2 minutes per side, and either dwell the steak by
> >> closing the dampers or remove immediately for a cool rare interior
> >> and a perfectly seared outside.
> >>
> >> Jack Curry

> Kent H. wrote:
> > duhKent speaks:
> > When you cook with the hood down you are creating an oven, albeit not
> > a very good one. Nonetheless part of the cooking comes from all
> > sides, and not just from the bottom as with hood up direct radiant
> > heat cooking. Almost any charcoal grill where you have the coals very
> > close to the grate you will get good char rare steak. That changes
> > when you put the hood down and try to do the same thing. As stated
> > before almost all gas grills, and especially the Weber Silver Genesis
> > B don't enough output with the hood up to char the outside of the
> > steak properly. Also, as stated before, the infrared tech gas broiler
> > and others that are similar may be the exception to the above.
> >

> I have rearranged the top-posting duhKent's ridiculous comments, to say that
> duhKent is an idiot and apparently cannot understand the fact that a 1-2
> minute exposure per side in a top-down grill with a temperature of 650-700°
> is not going to cook the interior of a steak of more that an inch in
> thickness beyond "warm."
> Try it, you idiot. duhKent, you are a moron.
>
> Jack Curry

Kent H.

That's really the bottom line, and how you get a steakhouse steak on the
grill. To accomplish that you have to have an open fire.
Cheers,
Kent

JD wrote:

> "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>
> (snip)
> > I have rearranged the top-posting duhKent's ridiculous comments, to
> > say that duhKent is an idiot and apparently cannot understand the
> > fact that a 1-2 minute exposure per side in a top-down grill with a
> > temperature of 650-700° is not going to cook the interior of a steak
> > of more that an inch in thickness beyond "warm."

> For some of us anything beyond "warm" in the center is over cooked<g>
>
> JD

Kent H.

You may like it that way, but the interior is way overcooked. 650F
closed is cooking in an oven. However you may have it your way.

"Monroe, of course..." wrote:

> In article >, "JD"
> > wrote:
>
> > "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> >
> > (snip)
> > > I have rearranged the top-posting duhKent's ridiculous comments, to
> > > say that duhKent is an idiot and apparently cannot understand the
> > > fact that a 1-2 minute exposure per side in a top-down grill with a
> > > temperature of 650-700° is not going to cook the interior of a steak
> > > of more that an inch in thickness beyond "warm."

> > For some of us anything beyond "warm" in the center is over cooked<g>
> >

> Amen-my tried and true (for an inch thick cut) is 3 min a side at 650F.
> Speaking of an inch thick, there's KuntH-sharp as a lopsided steel
> ball. If he could cook a steak without a trip to the ER or the
> firetrucks rolling, I'd be surprised.
>
> monroe(warm=done)

BOB

Kent H. wrote:
> "Monroe, of course..." wrote:
>>
>> In article >, "JD"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> (snip)
>>>
>>> For some of us anything beyond "warm" in the center is over cooked<g>
>>>

>> Amen-my tried and true (for an inch thick cut) is 3 min a side at 650F.
>> Speaking of an inch thick, there's KuntH-sharp as a lopsided steel
>> ball. If he could cook a steak without a trip to the ER or the
>> firetrucks rolling, I'd be surprised.
>>
>> monroe(warm=done)

> You may like it that way, but the interior is way overcooked. 650F
> closed is cooking in an oven. However you may have it your way.

On a *GAS* grill. I realize that the subject of this thread is *GAS* grills,
and *THIS* is the reason that *I* don't like *gas grills*

They are, as you said, very similar to an oven.

If you want to grill and/or barbecue, get a proper wood or charcoal burning
cooker and do it right.

BOB

Steve S

>Weber now has porcelain coated cast iron grates that require no seasoning.
>I think Home Depot even carries them, as well as the bare cast iron.

That's the way to go.No maintenance issues...great temp. retention and searing.

Steve
BOB

Monroe, of course... wrote:
> In article m>, " BOB"
> > wrote:
>
>> On a *GAS* grill. I realize that the subject of this thread is *GAS* grills,
>> and *THIS* is the reason that *I* don't like *gas grills*
>>
>> They are, as you said, very similar to an oven.
>>
>> If you want to grill and/or barbecue, get a proper wood or charcoal burning
>> cooker and do it right.
>>

> I'll second that. Never owned a gasser, never will.
>
> monroe(wood is good-gas is from my ass)

LOL!
I have used both, don't want to use a gasser again. BUT, on the other hand I
*do* have a gas stove and oven, and like the way the oven works for things that
I don't want to cook in a Kamado with wood and smoke.

BOB
Getting ready to throw a couple of yard birds on the fire in a few...

Monroe, of course...

In article m>, " BOB"
> wrote:

> On a *GAS* grill. I realize that the subject of this thread is *GAS* grills,
> and *THIS* is the reason that *I* don't like *gas grills*
>
> They are, as you said, very similar to an oven.
>
> If you want to grill and/or barbecue, get a proper wood or charcoal burning
> cooker and do it right.

I'll second that. Never owned a gasser, never will.

monroe(wood is good-gas is from my ass)
Mark Shaw

In article >,
"Jason" > wrote:
>I've had the thing for maybe 5 years now. Flame had gotten weak in the last
>year or so, I was growing disenchanted with it. I also was pretty hacked
>that the "paint" inside was peeling, fearing for my health. Luckily I found
>this newsgroup and given the near-universal praise for it I decided to buy
>new burners and attempt a rebuild. I also learned here the peeling was not
>paint, but rather flaking grease residue. Whew.

I've got this too. What's the best way to get it off?

> I'll now bite the bullet and replace my original porcelainized
>flavorizer bars which are crumbling, opting for stainless now that I know
>this grill should easily last at least 2 more decades with an occasional
>repair job.

It's almost time for my third set of flavorizer bars. What's
the benefit of stainless steel, other than longevity?

>By the way are the iron grates really that good?

I've got cast iron. I'll never go back.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"How can any culture that has more lawyers
jdoe

Longevity. Otherwise nothing. BTW I had a set custom made for mine as I have
the older style with 2 rows of bars and in speaking with weber's support
they said the newer units have a single row. the newer style doesn't fit the
old units. resoning behind the single layer was to get rid of hot spots and
even out the heat. So I did some measuring and a friend of my dad's made a
set from heavy ss that matched the size and angle of the new style but fit
length wise in the old style grill. Outfitted like this the unit is truly
amazing. Re the iron grates I had thought about them but with the new style
of bars in it I get great all around grilling, searing, low and high heat
control. Just great now.
Larry
"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Jason" > wrote:
> >I've had the thing for maybe 5 years now. Flame had gotten weak in the

last
> >year or so, I was growing disenchanted with it. I also was pretty hacked
> >that the "paint" inside was peeling, fearing for my health. Luckily I

found
> >this newsgroup and given the near-universal praise for it I decided to

buy
> >new burners and attempt a rebuild. I also learned here the peeling was

not
> >paint, but rather flaking grease residue. Whew.

> I've got this too. What's the best way to get it off?
>
> > I'll now bite the bullet and replace my original porcelainized
> >flavorizer bars which are crumbling, opting for stainless now that I know
> >this grill should easily last at least 2 more decades with an occasional
> >repair job.

> It's almost time for my third set of flavorizer bars. What's
> the benefit of stainless steel, other than longevity?
>
> >By the way are the iron grates really that good?

> I've got cast iron. I'll never go back.
>
> --
> Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
> "How can any culture that has more lawyers
> than butchers call itself a civilization?" - Alton Brown

Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 02:48:48 GMT, "Monroe, of course..."
> wrote:

>In article >, "JD"
> wrote:
>
>> "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>> (snip)
>> > I have rearranged the top-posting duhKent's ridiculous comments, to
>> > say that duhKent is an idiot and apparently cannot understand the
>> > fact that a 1-2 minute exposure per side in a top-down grill with a
>> > temperature of 650-700° is not going to cook the interior of a steak
>> > of more that an inch in thickness beyond "warm."

>> For some of us anything beyond "warm" in the center is over cooked<g>
>>

>Amen-my tried and true (for an inch thick cut) is 3 min a side at 650F.
>Speaking of an inch thick, there's KuntH-sharp as a lopsided steel
>ball. If he could cook a steak without a trip to the ER or the
>firetrucks rolling, I'd be surprised.
>
>monroe(warm=done)

Geez, I dunno, Montoe. [barely warm = better ]

Harry
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Harry
Demidavicius > wrote:

> >monroe(warm=done)

> Geez, I dunno, Montoe. [barely warm = better ]

Amen to that, Harry! Blue is Bleu is Bloo! For your average 3/4" thick
steaks usually 2 minutes per side at 600-650F is just about right.
Flip only once!
FWIW those K grills work marvelously at creating grill marks.

monroe(knock the horns off, wipe its butt)
Monroe, of course...

In article m>, " BOB"
> wrote:

> LOL!
> I have used both, don't want to use a gasser again. BUT, on the other hand I
> *do* have a gas stove and oven, and like the way the oven works for things
> that
> I don't want to cook in a Kamado with wood and smoke.

Oooooh -Stoking an old woodstove (or cowchip stove, depending) is a
real PITA. My gramma did it though and so did hers but 'Good old days"
be damned.
Indoors-gas rules.
Outdoors-gas drools.

monroe(exceptions now registered)
Duwop

Monroe, of course... wrote:
> In article m>, "
> BOB" > wrote:
>

>> They are, as you said, very similar to an oven.
>>
>> If you want to grill and/or barbecue, get a proper wood or charcoal
>> burning cooker and do it right.
>>

> I'll second that. Never owned a gasser, never will.

Praise the lord and pass the lump brother!

I was given a gas grill once, made me look real generous when I regifted it
too.

Dale

Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 23:31:23 GMT, "Monroe, of course..."
> wrote:

>In article >, Harry
>Demidavicius > wrote:
>
>> >monroe(warm=done)

>> Geez, I dunno, Montoe. [barely warm = better ]
>>

>Amen to that, Harry! Blue is Bleu is Bloo! For your average 3/4" thick
>steaks usually 2 minutes per side at 600-650F is just about right.
>Flip only once!
>FWIW those K grills work marvelously at creating grill marks.
>
>monroe(knock the horns off, wipe its butt)

The local Steakhouse Guy showed me years ago how they do it. Pop
the steak onto the grill, wait 16-20 seconds and rotate it 45 degrees.
Then leave it alone until it unsticks. Flip for colour and serve.
Timing after step Two depends on your grill temp and your taste.

Harry

M&M

<snipped all the previous>

On 14-Feb-2004, "Monroe, of course..." > wrote:

> Indoors-gas rules.
> Outdoors-gas drools.
>
> monroe(exceptions now registered)

I bought a nice gas stove a year or so ago and converted
from (trashed out) electric. I've always liked gas for my
indoor cooking. With the modern technology available
now, it's hard to beat. It's got a power burner, two
standard burners and a simmer burner. The power
burner is nearly (but not quite) up to WOK standards.
The simmer burner will turn down to candle power. The
oven heats up way faster then electric will ever hope to.
It even has a warming drawer which we use to store lids.
--
M&M ("The most remarkable thing about my mother
is that for thirty years she served the family nothing
but leftovers. The original meal has never been found."
Sam Levinson)
BOB

M&M wrote:
> <snipped all the previous>
>
> On 14-Feb-2004, "Monroe, of course..." > wrote:
>
>> Indoors-gas rules.
>> Outdoors-gas drools.
>>
>> monroe(exceptions now registered)

> I bought a nice gas stove a year or so ago and converted
> from (trashed out) electric. I've always liked gas for my
> indoor cooking. With the modern technology available
> now, it's hard to beat. It's got a power burner, two
> standard burners and a simmer burner. The power
> burner is nearly (but not quite) up to WOK standards.
> The simmer burner will turn down to candle power. The
> oven heats up way faster then electric will ever hope to.
> It even has a warming drawer which we use to store lids.
> --

YES! Same here. Sometimes "simmer" can be actually too low (as I have found
the hard way), but I attribute that to operator error, as my gas stove is less
than 2 years old, and the Kamados do most of the cooking here.

Ribs going on for tonight (warmed from the freezer) and on the K for tomorrow
and Wednesday...

BOB

M&M

On 16-Feb-2004, " BOB" > wrote:

< oh yeh, snipped all that other stuff here<

> Ribs going on for tonight (warmed from the freezer) and on the K for
> tomorrow
> and Wednesday...
>
> BOB

I tend to cook ten to 20 Lbs of meat at a time and me and the
SWMBO'd can't eat all that to quick, so the freezer is full most
of the time. Got a friend though who's nursing a wife with altzheimer's.
I unload a lot of it to his fridge. I get more enjoyment out of what they
eat then what I do.

M&M

--
M&M ("The most remarkable thing about my mother
is that for thirty years she served the family nothing
but leftovers. The original meal has never been found."
Sam Levinson)

Weber Genesis B Silver-Our New Toy Goomba38 General Cooking 16 30-05-2007 02:45 AM
Dumb question - can I disconnect propane tank from my Weber grill? Jay Sullivan General Cooking 3 24-05-2007 04:27 AM
Problem with Weber Silver Jason Nash Barbecue 7 09-06-2006 03:52 AM
Weber Silver A toller Barbecue 79 06-08-2005 03:43 AM
Weber Genesis Silver B - Question... H Smith Barbecue 6 01-07-2005 03:02 PM