steve's

Default bbq sauce

When I was a kid. My Grandmother would send us bbq sauce from Jacksonville
Florida. No tomatoes in that sauce at all. It was in a gallon jug.
Anybody no if it is still around and how to get it? or do you or can you
suggest a substitute?
Thanks
--
Steve Smith

BOB

steve's wrote:
> When I was a kid. My Grandmother would send us bbq sauce from Jacksonville
> Florida. No tomatoes in that sauce at all. It was in a gallon jug.
> Anybody no if it is still around and how to get it? or do you or can you
> suggest a substitute?
> Thanks
> --
> Steve Smith

What did it look and taste like? Vinegar and pepper? Mustard?
I can locate many recipes, but need to know what you are looking for. I don't
particularly like tomato/ketchup in my sauce either.

BOB

Edwin Pawlowski

steve's wrote:
> When I was a kid. My Grandmother would send us bbq sauce from
> Jacksonville Florida. No tomatoes in that sauce at all. It was in a
> gallon jug. Anybody no if it is still around and how to get it? or do
> you or can you suggest a substitute?
> Thanks

Wasit sort of an amber color? The popular easter Nort Carolina sauce is
cider vinegar, salt, black pepper, red pepper. A few people add some sugar.
--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Clifford Payne

I make a vinegar sauce with cider vinegar and brown sugar in it that gives a
brown color.

What did yours taste like? The guys here can probably tell you how to make
it or give you a brand, but we need a little more to go on.

cliff, from pgh

"steve's" > wrote in message
> It was more of a brown. It seemed very watery compared to stuff you buy in
> the stores.
>

> --
> Steve Smith
>

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> news > steve's wrote:
> > When I was a kid. My Grandmother would send us bbq sauce from
> > Jacksonville Florida. No tomatoes in that sauce at all. It was in a
> > gallon jug. Anybody no if it is still around and how to get it? or do
> > you or can you suggest a substitute?
> > Thanks

> Wasit sort of an amber color? The popular easter Nort Carolina sauce is
> cider vinegar, salt, black pepper, red pepper. A few people add some

sugar.
> --
> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

SWIBIRUN

I lived in Jax until I was 33 years old (I'm 36 now).

I don't know where she got this sauce, but it doesn't sound like any of the
well known bbq restaurants (Woodys, Sonnys, The Pig, Bono's) that might bottle
their sauce. Jenkins' BBQ is a one or two establishment restaurant in the more
urban areas. I never ate there and didn't start smoking until I moved to
Tennessee. In hindsight, I wish I had. They always had a stack of wood out
and the smell of hickory at 7 am.