Knox Graham

Default Lump Prices?

Howdy!

Finaly found some lump charcoal in this town...at WalMart for $5.96 for a
10-pound bag.

Seems a bit pricey to me...what does the rest of the world pay for lump?

Thanks

Knox G.

Duwop

Knox Graham wrote:
> Finaly found some lump charcoal in this town...at WalMart for $5.96
> for a 10-pound bag.

What kinda lump? Makes a difference. Mesquite is cheaper than harwood, and
Cowboy brand is worthless IMO.

> Seems a bit pricey to me...what does the rest of the world pay for
> lump?

$14/ 40lb for hardwood lump. This is about as good a price as you can get
anywhere in the USA it seems.

Fatman, what price you get going to the factory like you do?

Jack Curry

Duwop wrote:
> Knox Graham wrote:
>> Finaly found some lump charcoal in this town...at WalMart for $5.96
>> for a 10-pound bag.

> What kinda lump? Makes a difference. Mesquite is cheaper than
> harwood, and Cowboy brand is worthless IMO.
>
>> Seems a bit pricey to me...what does the rest of the world pay for
>> lump?

> $14/ 40lb for hardwood lump. This is about as good a price as you can
> get anywhere in the USA it seems.
>
> Fatman, what price you get going to the factory like you do?

He should be gettin' $12.84 for 40 lbs, same as when I go there. Best deal
in Florida and good lump, too.
Jack Curry

Steve Wertz

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:21:07 -0600, "Knox Graham"
> wrote:

>Howdy!
>
>Finaly found some lump charcoal in this town...at WalMart for $5.96 for a
>10-pound bag.
>
>Seems a bit pricey to me...what does the rest of the world pay for lump?

B&B Lump - $8/20lbs from the grocery store.

-sw
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:21:07 -0600, "Knox Graham"
> > wrote:
>
> >Howdy!
> >
> >Finaly found some lump charcoal in this town...at WalMart for $5.96 for a
> >10-pound bag.
> >
> >Seems a bit pricey to me...what does the rest of the world pay for lump?

> B&B Lump - $8/20lbs from the grocery store.

Whole foods had 3 kilo bags for $4.99. Not great but not bad for winter
clearance.

monroe(off season lump restocking ahoy)

Steve Wertz

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:01:09 GMT, "Monroe, of course..."
> wrote:

>In article >, Steve Wertz
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:21:07 -0600, "Knox Graham"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Howdy!
>> >
>> >Finaly found some lump charcoal in this town...at WalMart for $5.96 for a
>> >10-pound bag.
>> >
>> >Seems a bit pricey to me...what does the rest of the world pay for lump?

>> B&B Lump - $8/20lbs from the grocery store.
>>

>Whole foods had 3 kilo bags for $4.99. Not great but not bad for winter
>clearance.

Whole Foods has their own brand of lump, which is really Cowboy Lump
(8.8lb bags) branded with the Whole Foods name. It being Cowboy
charcoal, makes it strictly off-limits. For those in the Carolina
area, Fresh Market also sells Cowboy under the Fresh Market label, so
avoid Fresh market lump also.

I don't think I've seen anything at WF other than they're own brand
(Cowboy Brand).

-sw
The Fat Man®

Knox Graham wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> Finaly found some lump charcoal in this town...at WalMart for $5.96
> for a 10-pound bag.
>
> Seems a bit pricey to me...what does the rest of the world pay for
> lump?

Less than half that, direct from the plant in Ocala, Fl.

TFM®

The Fat Man®

Duwop wrote:
> Knox Graham wrote:
>> Finaly found some lump charcoal in this town...at WalMart for $5.96
>> for a 10-pound bag.

> What kinda lump? Makes a difference. Mesquite is cheaper than
> harwood, and Cowboy brand is worthless IMO.
>
>> Seems a bit pricey to me...what does the rest of the world pay for
>> lump?

> $14/ 40lb for hardwood lump. This is about as good a price as you can
> get anywhere in the USA it seems.
>
> Fatman, what price you get going to the factory like you do?

6 - 20 lb. bags for $25.00

Truth be told, it was $25 for 4 bags. They give away bags that are torn.
My 2 free torn bags had mebbe a 2" tear in each.

TFM®

pilgrim13

"The Fat Man®" > wrote in message m>...
> Knox Graham wrote:
> > Howdy!
> >
> > Finaly found some lump charcoal in this town...at WalMart for $5.96
> > for a 10-pound bag.
> >
> > Seems a bit pricey to me...what does the rest of the world pay for
> > lump?

> Less than half that, direct from the plant in Ocala, Fl.
>
> TFM®

B&B 25# bag for $9.50 +s&h @ http://www.bbcharcoal.com/charcoal%20products.html
Found Nature's Own at Shaws but somewhat 'pricy' per bag.

Stan
Jack Schidt®

"pilgrim13" > wrote in message
om...
> "The Fat Man®" > wrote in message

m>...
> > Knox Graham wrote:
> > > Howdy!
> > >
> > > Finaly found some lump charcoal in this town...at WalMart for $5.96
> > > for a 10-pound bag.
> > >
> > > Seems a bit pricey to me...what does the rest of the world pay for
> > > lump?

> > Less than half that, direct from the plant in Ocala, Fl.
> >
> > TFM®

> B&B 25# bag for $9.50 +s&h @

http://www.bbcharcoal.com/charcoal%20products.html
> Found Nature's Own at Shaws but somewhat 'pricy' per bag.
>
> Stan

How much is the s&h?

Jack

Bob Thorne

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:21:07 -0600, "Knox Graham"
> wrote:

>Howdy!
>
>Finaly found some lump charcoal in this town...at WalMart for $5.96 for a
>10-pound bag.
>
>Seems a bit pricey to me...what does the rest of the world pay for lump?
>
>Thanks
>
>Knox G.

B&B $6.30 20# bag at the factory.
Graeme... in London

..

"Bob Thorne" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:21:07 -0600, "Knox Graham"
> > wrote:
>
> >Howdy!
> >
> >Finaly found some lump charcoal in this town...at WalMart for $5.96 for a
> >10-pound bag.
> >
> >Seems a bit pricey to me...what does the rest of the world pay for lump?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Knox G.
> >

> B&B $6.30 20# bag at the factory.

In the UK the best price I have managed to get is £7 sterling for a 12 kilo
bag. If my maths is correct, that works out at 44 cents per lb. Given that
the charcoal is South African, the shipping costs, distributer takes his
cut, the retailer his, and tax at 17.5% I don't think this is a bad price!
It does seem a lot cheaper in the US. I put this down to fewer people in the
supply chain.

Default User

pilgrim13 wrote:

> B&B 25# bag for $9.50 +s&h @ http://www.bbcharcoal.com/charcoal%20products.html
> Found Nature's Own at Shaws but somewhat 'pricy' per bag.

It's always that shipping and handling that gets you. I bought a 20# box
from Chigger Creek, which ain't that far away. The shipping was about
the same amount as the charcoal. Good stuff though.

Brian Rodenborn
pilgrim13

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote> > B&B 25# bag for $9.50
+s&h @
> http://www.bbcharcoal.com/charcoal%20products.html
> > Found Nature's Own at Shaws but somewhat 'pricy' per bag.
> >
> > Stan

> How much is the s&h?
>
> Jack

Ouch!!! If ya live in the East Coast, ya don't want to know. WOW!!
There web site gives ya no clue for S&H. So called them up. They
ship via UPS and ship lump in 2 25# packs.

For me, let's say, I want to order 4 25# bags of oak lump. The total
comes to $38.00 for the 100#'s. Now the good part. UPS S&H will run
me $92.56 for a total of $130.56 for 4 bags. JEEEEEZZZZEEEE, what
the hell.

Guess I'll just get the Nature's Own at Shaws for about 7-8 bucks a
bag.

There located in Weimar, TX. Zip 78962.

Stan
Jack Schidt®

"pilgrim13" > wrote in message
om...
> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote> > B&B 25# bag for $9.50
> +s&h @
> > http://www.bbcharcoal.com/charcoal%20products.html
> > > Found Nature's Own at Shaws but somewhat 'pricy' per bag.
> > >
> > > Stan

> > How much is the s&h?
> >
> > Jack

> Ouch!!! If ya live in the East Coast, ya don't want to know. WOW!!
> There web site gives ya no clue for S&H. So called them up. They
> ship via UPS and ship lump in 2 25# packs.
>
> For me, let's say, I want to order 4 25# bags of oak lump. The total
> comes to $38.00 for the 100#'s. Now the good part. UPS S&H will run
> me $92.56 for a total of $130.56 for 4 bags. JEEEEEZZZZEEEE, what
> the hell.
>
> Guess I'll just get the Nature's Own at Shaws for about 7-8 bucks a
> bag.
>
> There located in Weimar, TX. Zip 78962.
>
> Stan

I get by with the MalWart stuff at 5 and change per 10 lb. They're finished
selling lump at Labor Day it seems. Soo.....7 or 8 bucks ain't too bad
considering it's that or briquets.

Jack