Dave

Default Cuchulain's Chili

From 15 August, 2000 in a.f.b.:

"mkr" > wrote in message
> If anyone has some good Chili Recipes Please send them to me
> Thank you Mark

[Mark, here's an old post]

Alright as much as I dislike 'recipes' and the divulgence of same, I
hereby give to you my bbq friends my chili recipe. Belly you might as well
jes keep on goin' cuz boy, this here ain't no CASI approved recipe.
First my thoughts on this matter. Some say that old trail cooks started
chili, but given the local people at the time it's safe to assume that they
got it from the Navajo/Aztecs and refined it. If that is so and local
ingredients included tomatoes, beans, and corn, then I see no problem
putting 'em in chili.

MEAT SIDE

3 lbs stew meat
2 lbs ground pork
1 lg white onion, diced
garlic
3 T cumin, roasted, ground
3 T coriander, r, g
1 T allspice
2 T cayenne
1 T cocoa powder, unsweet
Mexican oregano (this is where I hate recs. I don't measure)
salt
pepper
olive oil as need to brown off meat
1 shot bourbon
2 lg cans toms (your choice of whole/chopped, etc)
2 lg cans kidneys
2 lg cans blacks
2 lg cans pintos (or navy/whites)
1 pkg frozen corn

CHILE SIDE

1/2 lb +/- New Mexico chiles
"" "" Ancho chiles
1/4 lb arboles

(again I never measured, enough chiles to quite fill a jelly roll pan, like
mounded, even) or if they come in 4 oz. pkgs then say 2-3 of ea.

beer the gooder the better, but industrial swill works ok OR
beef broth Homemade pref. or from beef base or lastly canned.

METHOD

Brown meats and onion, in batches if necessary. Add spices/herbs and garlic
and sauté through. In a low oven (250-300) roast chiles for about 10-15
minutes, your nose will tell when they're ready. Break up chiles into a
saucepan add enough beer/broth to cover and simmer 20 minutes. The only
thing I worry about is the stem, the seeds and the veins are where the heat
is and you'll be straining the solids out anyway. Whirl in blender or
Cuisinart and strain through medium mesh reserving liquor if you didn't use
it all in processor. Add sauce and any liquor to meat, add tomatoes and
drained rinsed beans. I save 1/2 can kidneys and some bean juice to whirl
and add later as thickener. At this point if you need to add a can of water,
go ahead. Taste and adjust for s/p. At some point toss in bourbon. I cook it
covered until the meat is almost tender and the flavors are coming together
then add corn and cook covered until meat is done, uncover and finish off to
your desired thickness, adding whirled kidneys, or if you have it, a slurry
of masa and water (acts like cornstarch in Chinese food) if needed. Now this
is HOT, but because you strained out the husks it's not cumulative. It
attains and stays at one level, which I find pleasant.

OPTIONS- TO HAVE ON HAND WHEN SERVING

Shredded cheddar
Chopped olives
Pico de Gallo
Lime wedges
Diced white onion
You guys in Ohio would add a starch here

LIKE MOST STEWS THIS IS MO BETTA NEXT DAY.

-Cuchulain
"Vegetables ain't food, vegetables are what food eats"

-Cuchulain

BOB

Dave typed:
> From 15 August, 2000 in a.f.b.:
>
> "mkr" > wrote in message
>> If anyone has some good Chili Recipes Please send them to me
>> Thank you Mark

Snipped the recipe.

Thanks, Dave. That's the other "Hound" recipe from the "Chaotic Cookbook"
that I was going to type and share. You just saved me many hours of typing!

BOB

Brick

"Dave" > wrote in message
> From 15 August, 2000 in a.f.b.:
>
> "mkr" > wrote in message
> > If anyone has some good Chili Recipes Please send them to me
> > Thank you Mark
> >

> [Mark, here's an old post]

<snip>

Thanks for that one Dave. Happens I'm an addicted chili lover.

Brick

Bruce

Default Cuchulain Googled

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...+LIbby&spell=1