Matthew L. Martin

Default Looking for restaurant recommendation ...

.... in and around Witchita, KS.

It could be worse, the last company threatened to send me to Tel Aviv. I
suspect there are no places there that can do decent ribs:-)

Matthew

--
<http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
You can't break even.
You can't get out of the game.

Jack Schidt®

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
s.com...
> ... in and around Witchita, KS.
>
> It could be worse, the last company threatened to send me to Tel Aviv. I
> suspect there are no places there that can do decent ribs:-)
>
> Matthew
>
> --

Your post got me thinking, as they always do, so I got on and found this:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~foi/barbecue/barbecue.html

Think lamb, I guess.

Jack

Ol' Hippie

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
s.com...
> ... in and around Witchita, KS.
>
> It could be worse, the last company threatened to send me to Tel Aviv. I
> suspect there are no places there that can do decent ribs:-)
>
> Matthew
>
> --
> <http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>
>
> Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
> You can't break even.
> You can't get out of the game.

Well Tel-aviv is a hell of a place to drive to.
Witchita, KS. is a good start.
KC,,,,I know TOO big, but try Belton, MO 10-15 miles south of KC
excellent BBQ
beenthereateabunch
Bruce-n-gold beach

Condor Chef

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
s.com...
> ... in and around Witchita, KS.
>
> It could be worse, the last company threatened to send me to Tel Aviv. I
> suspect there are no places there that can do decent ribs:-)
>
> Matthew

There's a guy that hauls his huge pit around town - to different convenience
stores, gas stations, etc.. My brother keeps his schedule in his truck, and
will drive across town to catch him... I'll get a copy for you.

Pig in Pig Out, pretty dang good 'Q, South Hydraulic, 1/2 block North of Mt
Vernon.

Town 'n Country Restaurant (steak house) 2 or 3 blocks West of Kellog & West
on the north of Kellog

Strouds (chicken house) on North Hillside (around 37th, it's in the book),
but only open a couple days/week. Their motto is "We choke our own chickens"

CC

George B. Ross

Matthew L. Martin ) opined:

> ... in and around Witchita, KS.
>
> It could be worse, the last company threatened to send me
> to Tel Aviv. I suspect there are no places there that can
> do decent ribs:-)

I don't know the quality of these places anymore, since I
haven't lived in Wichita for quite awhile. In the 80's these
were all excellent places to eat.

BBQ
R&S just east of I-135 on 13th Street. Infrequently open, but
good eats.

Other food
Angelo's (Italian, go figure) Harry & Hillside or Central &
Tyler.

Scotch & Sirloin (steaks) Kellogg east of I-135

Mike's Steak House on North Broadway?

--
George B. Ross is
remove the obvious bit for email

Louis Cohen

Are there any local/regional specialties, BBQ or not, around Wichita?

--

Regards

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
s.com...
> ... in and around Witchita, KS.
>
> It could be worse, the last company threatened to send me to Tel Aviv. I
> suspect there are no places there that can do decent ribs:-)
>
> Matthew
>
> --
> <http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>
>
> Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
> You can't break even.
> You can't get out of the game.

CJK

Well since I live here, I guess I can do what I can

BBQ, 2 real good ones, all you can eat, Old Town BBQ (in old town, off
Mosley) and B&C Creations, just north of old town off of Washington. They
used to be husband and wife, but divorced, so now we get 2 good eclectic
joints.

There are also a couple of others, but the hours vary (Miller's is very
good, but hit and miss for them being open, when they run out of food, they
close)

Stroud's, North of K-96 on Hillside, AWESOME fried chicken and a Midwest
tradition.

Scotch and Sirloin, good expense account restaurant

Angelo's,MOVED, now at Mt Vernon and Oliver, very good Italian

Piccadilly, central and Rock, good mix of food, great restaurant if you have
a mixed crowd and want a casualish place to go

Thai Tradition, The best Thai food I have ever had, very very good (pad Thai
is what I recommend) Central and Edgemore

Kobe's Steak house, Japanese Hibachi Grill, same old same old, but been here
for 25 years and a very good place, but the same atmosphere and 1000 others
in every town

Kwan Court, 13th and Rock, Pretty damn good sushi for being in the middle of
Kansas

The Oasis Lounge, West street and Maple, THE BEST BURGERS ANYWHERE, and it
is a funky fun bar to boot.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I will do what I can to get you
directions and info.

Christian