Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stan Horwitz

Default Need San Francisco restaurant recommendation

A friend and I will be traveling from Philly to Las Vegas in Janary to
attend the Consumer Electronics Show. After that, we're scheduled to fly
to San Francisco to attend the MacWorld Expo for a few days.

A friend of mine who lives in Petaluma (sp?) near SFO offered to pick us
up at the airport when we arrive there on January 9th. We're going to go
to dinner after our flight arrives, which will hopefully be at the
5:45pm scheduled time. My friend who's going to pick us up does not know
any restaurants in the SFO area, so I figured maybe one of you RFC folks
might know that area and provide some ideas.

We are looking for a casual place that's open on Monday evenings where
we can sit and have a few drinks, eat dinner, and talk before we head to
our currently unknown hotel room on Union Square. I prefer a place where
we can get out for under $30 per person, not counting drinks. Ethic
places are okay, but not Mexican or Indian (bleh)!

I suppose we could eat somewhere in the Union Square area, but I figured
a restaurant near SFO might be a better idea so that we can allow the
rush hour traffic to thin out before we venture into the city.

Any suggestions will be welcome.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> A friend and I will be traveling from Philly to Las Vegas in Janary to
> attend the Consumer Electronics Show. After that, we're scheduled to

fly
> to San Francisco to attend the MacWorld Expo for a few days.
>
> A friend of mine who lives in Petaluma (sp?) near SFO offered to pick

us
> up at the airport when we arrive there on January 9th. We're going to

go
> to dinner after our flight arrives, which will hopefully be at the
> 5:45pm scheduled time. My friend who's going to pick us up does not

know
> any restaurants in the SFO area, so I figured maybe one of you RFC

folks
> might know that area and provide some ideas.
>
> We are looking for a casual place that's open on Monday evenings where
> we can sit and have a few drinks, eat dinner, and talk before we head

> our currently unknown hotel room on Union Square. I prefer a place

where
> we can get out for under $30 per person, not counting drinks. Ethic
> places are okay, but not Mexican or Indian (bleh)!
>
> I suppose we could eat somewhere in the Union Square area, but I

figured
> a restaurant near SFO might be a better idea so that we can allow the
> rush hour traffic to thin out before we venture into the city.
>
> Any suggestions will be welcome.

The Cliffhouse, if it's still there.

In Berkeley, Spengers is one of the best fish restaurants in the Bay
Area, imho.

For recreation, take the Larkspur ferry roundtrip from the pier to
Larkspur. It's a great bay ride. A hydrofoil, iirc. And of course, don't
forget to wave at the cons in "the yard" at San Quentin prison as you
glide by!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
nancree

Hope you enjoy San Francisco, but that friend of yours who is picking
you up at the airport must be a *Very good friend. It's about a 1 hour
45 minute drive each way from Petaluma to the airport! Anyway, have
fun!
Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Ranger

Stan Horwitz > wrote in message
[snip]
> any restaurants in the SFO area

[snip]

http://www.chowhound.com/california/...ages/2114.html

or

http://groups.google.com/group/ba.fo...d019d3f05a4282
(same link only smaller http://tinyurl.com/aerrr)

I prefer Chez Alexander in Burlingame -- just a few miles south -- for
the very thing your asking. Ibrahem, the proprietor, makes a lamb dish
that is HEAVENLY.

Chez Alexander
1136 Broadway
Burlingame, CA
+1-650-347-1053

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gregory Morrow

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> A friend and I will be traveling from Philly to Las Vegas in Janary to
> attend the Consumer Electronics Show. After that, we're scheduled to fly
> to San Francisco to attend the MacWorld Expo for a few days.
> any restaurants in the SFO area, so I figured maybe one of you RFC folks
> might know that area and provide some ideas.
> I suppose we could eat somewhere in the Union Square area, but I figured
> a restaurant near SFO might be a better idea so that we can allow the
> rush hour traffic to thin out before we venture into the city.

Stanley I'd try the ba.food newsgroup, the posters there are pretty informed
about things culinary in the Bay area...

You could also post to the SF board on www.chowhound.com , many good posters
and suggestions there also.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >,
Stan Horwitz > wrote:

> A friend of mine who lives in Petaluma (sp?) near SFO

Petaluma it is. We've lived here 30 years. I remember you ate at Don
Ponchos last time you were here. I still eat there about once a month.
It's very nice of your friend to pick you up, but I wouldn't call it
close. It's 50 miles or so.

> 5:45pm scheduled time. My friend who's going to pick us up does not know
> any restaurants in the SFO area, so I figured maybe one of you RFC folks
> might know that area and provide some ideas.

There are no restaurants in the San Francisco Bay Area, just like there
are no recipes from Europe.

:-)

You might try posting to ba.food, but I would suggest that you get a
little more specific about what you want. There are a lot of
restaurants down there.

If somebody asked you for a restaurant in Philly, what would you answer?

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 16:14:34 -0500, Stan Horwitz wrote:

> I suppose we could eat somewhere in the Union Square area, but I figured
> a restaurant near SFO might be a better idea so that we can allow the
> rush hour traffic to thin out before we venture into the city.

Treat your friend very nicely, because Petaluma is NOT close to SF!
It would be less trouble for your friend to meet you in the City and
for you take a cab there from the airport. Your friend has to drive
down to the Golden Gate Bridge, cross it, drive all the way through
the City and down the peninnsula to get to SFO.... that's a good hour,
maybe more.

If you're still set on doing this,
Max's Opera Cafe comes to mind.
1250 Bayshore , Burlingame
It's close to the airport and right off 101.

If you decide to go into SF, try

Tommy's Joynt
1101 Geary Blvd, San Francisco

Tadich Grill
240 California St

MoMo's Grill
760 Second Street
(directly across from the ballpark)
http://www.eatatmomos.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stan Horwitz

In article >,
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Stan Horwitz > wrote:
>

> > A friend of mine who lives in Petaluma (sp?) near SFO

> Petaluma it is. We've lived here 30 years. I remember you ate at Don
> Ponchos last time you were here. I still eat there about once a month.
> It's very nice of your friend to pick you up, but I wouldn't call it
> close. It's 50 miles or so.
>

> > 5:45pm scheduled time. My friend who's going to pick us up does not know
> > any restaurants in the SFO area, so I figured maybe one of you RFC folks
> > might know that area and provide some ideas.

> There are no restaurants in the San Francisco Bay Area, just like there
> are no recipes from Europe.
>
> :-)
>
> You might try posting to ba.food, but I would suggest that you get a
> little more specific about what you want. There are a lot of
> restaurants down there.
>
> If somebody asked you for a restaurant in Philly, what would you answer?

I thought I was specific, near SFO; the airport.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stan Horwitz

In article >, Andy <q>
wrote:

> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
> > A friend and I will be traveling from Philly to Las Vegas in Janary to
> > attend the Consumer Electronics Show. After that, we're scheduled to

> fly
> > to San Francisco to attend the MacWorld Expo for a few days.
> >
> > A friend of mine who lives in Petaluma (sp?) near SFO offered to pick

> us
> > up at the airport when we arrive there on January 9th. We're going to

> go
> > to dinner after our flight arrives, which will hopefully be at the
> > 5:45pm scheduled time. My friend who's going to pick us up does not

> know
> > any restaurants in the SFO area, so I figured maybe one of you RFC

> folks
> > might know that area and provide some ideas.
> >
> > We are looking for a casual place that's open on Monday evenings where
> > we can sit and have a few drinks, eat dinner, and talk before we head

> > our currently unknown hotel room on Union Square. I prefer a place

> where
> > we can get out for under $30 per person, not counting drinks. Ethic
> > places are okay, but not Mexican or Indian (bleh)!
> >
> > I suppose we could eat somewhere in the Union Square area, but I

> figured
> > a restaurant near SFO might be a better idea so that we can allow the
> > rush hour traffic to thin out before we venture into the city.
> >
> > Any suggestions will be welcome.

> The Cliffhouse, if it's still there.
>
> In Berkeley, Spengers is one of the best fish restaurants in the Bay
> Area, imho.
>
> For recreation, take the Larkspur ferry roundtrip from the pier to
> Larkspur. It's a great bay ride. A hydrofoil, iirc. And of course, don't
> forget to wave at the cons in "the yard" at San Quentin prison as you
> glide by!!!

Thanks everyone. I will confirm with my friend that he's really
interested in making the drive from Petaluma to SFO. My friend travels
by air quite a bit so I imagine he knows the distances, but I will point
it out just to be sure.

Were it not for the fact that a few interesting restaurants have already
been recommended in this thread, I would check out ba.food or the
chowhound web site, but I don't believe in looking for something once it
has been found!

Thanks all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 19:01:52 -0500, Stan Horwitz >
wrote:

>> In Berkeley, Spengers is one of the best fish restaurants in the Bay
>> Area, imho.
>>
>> For recreation, take the Larkspur ferry roundtrip from the pier to
>> Larkspur. It's a great bay ride. A hydrofoil, iirc. And of course, don't
>> forget to wave at the cons in "the yard" at San Quentin prison as you
>> glide by!!!

>Thanks everyone. I will confirm with my friend that he's really
>interested in making the drive from Petaluma to SFO. My friend travels
>by air quite a bit so I imagine he knows the distances, but I will point
>it out just to be sure.
>
>Were it not for the fact that a few interesting restaurants have already
>been recommended in this thread, I would check out ba.food or the
>chowhound web site, but I don't believe in looking for something once it
>has been found!

I would avoid Spengers at all costs...to be honest. It isn't very
good. If you ask on Chowhound, or ba.food, that is exactly the
opinion you will get.

Stan, ask on Chowhound. That is how I found that restuarant that we
went to when you were here.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>In article >, Andy <q>
>wrote:

>> The Cliffhouse, if it's still there.

The Cliffhouse is not known now for good food. I would still ask on
Chowhound. Or get the Chowhound guide to San Francisco...I think you
can find it in stores now, and I know it is available from Amazon.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Spitzmaus

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> I thought I was specific, near SFO; the airport.

Near the airport? Try Kuleto's in Burlingame, adjacent to the freeway and
very decent food (although I've not eaten there in this century!).

Spitz
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
>A friend and I will be traveling from Philly to Las Vegas in Janary to
> attend the Consumer Electronics Show. After that, we're scheduled to fly
> to San Francisco to attend the MacWorld Expo for a few days.
>
> A friend of mine who lives in Petaluma (sp?) near SFO offered to pick us
> up at the airport when we arrive there on January 9th. We're going to go
> to dinner after our flight arrives, which will hopefully be at the
> 5:45pm scheduled time. My friend who's going to pick us up does not know
> any restaurants in the SFO area, so I figured maybe one of you RFC folks
> might know that area and provide some ideas.
>
> We are looking for a casual place that's open on Monday evenings where
> we can sit and have a few drinks, eat dinner, and talk before we head to
> our currently unknown hotel room on Union Square. I prefer a place where
> we can get out for under $30 per person, not counting drinks. Ethic
> places are okay, but not Mexican or Indian (bleh)!
>
> I suppose we could eat somewhere in the Union Square area, but I figured
> a restaurant near SFO might be a better idea so that we can allow the
> rush hour traffic to thin out before we venture into the city.
>
> Any suggestions will be welcome.

There are 2 places I would recommend;

Mid-aftrenoon have a sour dough bread bowl full of soup at the Boudin bakery on
the Warf.

http://www.boudinbakery.com/

At dinner time have the Cioppino at Scoma's (either location) It is a bit of a
tourist trap and the wait is intolerable but my goodness the cioppino is
sensational: Their Alfredo makes a nice split appetizer.

Recipe he http://www.scomas.com/recipes/cioppino.htm

Finally an Irish coffee at the Buena Vista is a SF must.

http://www.thebuenavista.com/irishcoffee.html

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"nancree" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hope you enjoy San Francisco, but that friend of yours who is picking
> you up at the airport must be a *Very good friend. It's about a 1 hour
> 45 minute drive each way from Petaluma to the airport! Anyway, have
> fun!
> Nancree

I used to pick up DH at the SF airport, driving from Kentfield (south of
Petaluma by some miles) some 25 years ago. I cannot imagine what traffic
must be at that time of day now; it was terrible then. A good alternative
is to catch the bus at the airport to one of the hotels at Union Square and
meet them there. No problem. Everybody wins.

A fond memory: Before I was married, I used to live in SF. One Saturday
morning about 7:30 a.m. walking to the beauty shop thru the park there was
only one person there, Peter Falk sketching. He gave me a great smile and a
friendly Hello.

Just getting back from Baltimore for two days, last night we had a fabulous
meal at Kali's Mezza. The best crab cakes I've ever had - wish I had the
recipe. Here is what the two of us had: cod (sort of tempura'd) with garlic
mashed potatoes, olives on the table, small asparagus grilled, Lamb chops; 3
small crab cakes, goat cheese with mushrooms wrapped with red roasted bell
peppers, spanatopita. Dessert: Tiramasu; Baklava. The Baklava was in a
pinwheel shape and like I've never had before. The tiramasu was made with
kaluha instead of rum, better than I've ever had. Two pretty good glasses
of red wine, one from Santorini $10 a glass; one from Madera $6.50 a glass.

We went again to our favorite gelato place in Baltimore Vacarro's.
http://www.vaccarospastry.com/
We also found an Italian grocery that had all products from Italy; I don't
believe he carries US products. The owner is the one that recommended the
restaurant, and the waiter sat us at the same table as the Italian grocery
owner had set the night before; the service was excellent. We went back the
next day to tell him about it and bought from him 4 bottles of wine, several
cans and jars of San Marzano tomatoes, tuna, some sort of tuna eggs (yuk --
for DH). Found Ortiz Tuna at Whole Foods down the street from the Italian
market.

All in all a good two days of wonderful food and food finds.
I wish you the same in San Francisco.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

The only mention of the Cliffhouse was about their brunch and though it
wasn't sterling it wasn't overly negative. It's an awesome location and so
what if it ain't four stars.

I couldn't find any post about Spengers. I was there in Dec. 2003 and it
was as good as ever.

It's easy being a critic ain't it???

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 03:40:02 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>The only mention of the Cliffhouse was about their brunch and though it
>wasn't sterling it wasn't overly negative. It's an awesome location and so
>what if it ain't four stars.
>
>I couldn't find any post about Spengers. I was there in Dec. 2003 and it
>was as good as ever.
>
>It's easy being a critic ain't it???
>
>Andy

Spengers has never really been considered very good here in the bay
area. Some folks like it, but then some folks like bad food. Not
saying that you like bad food, but you could have had much,much better
than this.

Same with the Cliffhouse. It may have improved some, but it still
isn't considered that good for the food.

One can do much, much better than these two.

Christine, who has lived in the bay area for much of the last 20
years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 03:40:02 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>The only mention of the Cliffhouse was about their brunch and though
>>it wasn't sterling it wasn't overly negative. It's an awesome location
>>and so what if it ain't four stars.
>>
>>I couldn't find any post about Spengers. I was there in Dec. 2003 and
>>it was as good as ever.
>>
>>It's easy being a critic ain't it???
>>
>>Andy

> Spengers has never really been considered very good here in the bay
> area. Some folks like it, but then some folks like bad food. Not
> saying that you like bad food, but you could have had much,much better
> than this.
>
> Same with the Cliffhouse. It may have improved some, but it still
> isn't considered that good for the food.
>
> One can do much, much better than these two.
>
> Christine, who has lived in the bay area for much of the last 20
> years.

OK, well, you didn't offer up alternatives just negatives.

Andy
Hasn't lived in the bay area since 1979.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Ranger

Andy <q> wrote in message
.. .
> The only mention of the Cliffhouse was about their brunch
> and though it wasn't sterling it wasn't overly negative. It's an
> awesome location and so what if it ain't four stars.

Location, for me, is only a portion of the equation. If I'm paying
Cliffhouse prices, the food and service better be at least on-par with
similar places. I know ba.food's has had several articles on Cliffhouse;
only a couple of the regulars don't like to archive their posts so the
content is there. Some like it, and eat there regularly; others, as you
noted, not as much.

> I couldn't find any post about Spengers. I was there in Dec. 2003
> and it was as good as ever.

"Spengers?" Where are they located and what style restaurant is that?

> It's easy being a critic ain't it???

Mostly, yes; sometimes, no. Humans like hearing about the negative and
are more likely to spread news about a bad experience than to praise a
positive experience. Think of yourself. How often have you experienced a
SUPERB meal and then told someone about it. Did they tell someone
afterwards? Probably not. The good experience stopped after a single
ripple. Now think of that absolutely rotten lunch from Donny's Dank
Diner where Emma the Gumsmacker did everything but pick her nose in
front of you. You told ten people. They, in turn, went and told ten
more, etc., etc., etc.

It's simply how we communicate.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlotte L. Blackmer

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:
>On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 19:01:52 -0500, Stan Horwitz >
>wrote:
>

>>> In Berkeley, Spengers is one of the best fish restaurants in the Bay
>>> Area, imho.
>>>
>>> For recreation, take the Larkspur ferry roundtrip from the pier to
>>> Larkspur. It's a great bay ride. A hydrofoil, iirc. And of course, don't
>>> forget to wave at the cons in "the yard" at San Quentin prison as you
>>> glide by!!!

>>Thanks everyone. I will confirm with my friend that he's really
>>interested in making the drive from Petaluma to SFO. My friend travels
>>by air quite a bit so I imagine he knows the distances, but I will point
>>it out just to be sure.
>>
>>Were it not for the fact that a few interesting restaurants have already
>>been recommended in this thread, I would check out ba.food or the
>>chowhound web site, but I don't believe in looking for something once it
>>has been found!

>I would avoid Spengers at all costs...to be honest. It isn't very
>good. If you ask on Chowhound, or ba.food, that is exactly the
>opinion you will get.

I live in Berkeley. Spengers is not as bad as it used to be. It's okay,
but if you want seafood in Berkeley, Sea Salt is better. I certainly
wouldn't make a special trip to Spengers.

Both of these are a fair distance from SFO, though. (I forget, but it's
like 25 miles or so.)

>Stan, ask on Chowhound. That is how I found that restuarant that we
>went to when you were here.

If you're in downtown SF (Mac World is usually at the Moscone, no?) be
sure to visit the Ferry Building Market ... at the bay end of
Market Street, near Embarcadero BART/MUNI. Farmer's Market on Saturdays,
but shops open all week.

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Andy" <q> wrote in message
.. .
> The only mention of the Cliffhouse was about their brunch and though it
> wasn't sterling it wasn't overly negative. It's an awesome location and so
> what if it ain't four stars.
>
> I couldn't find any post about Spengers. I was there in Dec. 2003 and it
> was as good as ever.
>
> It's easy being a critic ain't it???
>
> Andy

I can't see any advantage of the Cliffhouse at night - -unless there's a
boat or two to view. I only ate there once decades ago and it was NOT VERY
GOOD!
Dee DEE

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
>>A friend and I will be traveling from Philly to Las Vegas in Janary to
>> attend the Consumer Electronics Show. After that, we're scheduled to fly
>> to San Francisco to attend the MacWorld Expo for a few days.
>>
>> A friend of mine who lives in Petaluma (sp?) near SFO offered to pick us
>> up at the airport when we arrive there on January 9th. We're going to go
>> to dinner after our flight arrives, which will hopefully be at the
>> 5:45pm scheduled time. My friend who's going to pick us up does not know
>> any restaurants in the SFO area, so I figured maybe one of you RFC folks
>> might know that area and provide some ideas.
>>
>> We are looking for a casual place that's open on Monday evenings where
>> we can sit and have a few drinks, eat dinner, and talk before we head to
>> our currently unknown hotel room on Union Square. I prefer a place where
>> we can get out for under $30 per person, not counting drinks. Ethic
>> places are okay, but not Mexican or Indian (bleh)!
>>
>> I suppose we could eat somewhere in the Union Square area, but I figured
>> a restaurant near SFO might be a better idea so that we can allow the
>> rush hour traffic to thin out before we venture into the city.
>>
>> Any suggestions will be welcome.

> There are 2 places I would recommend;
>
> Mid-aftrenoon have a sour dough bread bowl full of soup at the Boudin
> bakery on the Warf.
>
> http://www.boudinbakery.com/
>
> At dinner time have the Cioppino at Scoma's (either location) It is a bit
> of a tourist trap and the wait is intolerable but my goodness the cioppino
> is sensational: Their Alfredo makes a nice split appetizer.
>
> Recipe he http://www.scomas.com/recipes/cioppino.htm
>
> Finally an Irish coffee at the Buena Vista is a SF must.
>
> http://www.thebuenavista.com/irishcoffee.html
>
> Dimitri

The above places must be doing something right, I frequented these places in
the 70's and 80's. I second these recommendations, if that's worth
anything. Oops -- another trip down memory lane; I sat at a table beside
Gena Rowlands and the troop in one of her movies at Scoma's. At that time
the price was not out of line for the quality of the food.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Ranger

Andy <q> wrote in message
.. .
> The Cliffhouse, if it's still there.

The Cliffhouse isn't near SFO, though, I suppose it's relative.
Californians love to drive everywhere.

> In Berkeley, Spengers is one of the best fish restaurants
> in the Bay Area, imho.

I'd not heard of Spenger's until you mentioned it. Tadich's, though, is
one that is consistently mentioned as both GREAT and ENJOYABLE as well
as AFFORDABLE. Get the sanddabs and you'll see why. Unfortunately, I've
never been when there's not a wait...

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Dee Randall wrote:

>> Finally an Irish coffee at the Buena Vista is a SF must.

There was a tiny corner bar on Geary on the SW corner, somewhere abouts
10th St (??) that made the "PRIMO" Irish coffee. It was a "speak easy" of a
sort.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 06:43:59 -0800, The Ranger wrote:

> Get the sanddabs and you'll see why

Get there early for sanddabs! The run begins at lunch (Tadich is in
the heart of the financial district) and if any are left, they usually
run out at the beginning of the "dinner hour".
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 03:40:02 -0600, Andy wrote:

> The only mention of the Cliffhouse was about their brunch and though it
> wasn't sterling it wasn't overly negative. It's an awesome location and so
> what if it ain't four stars.

I haven't set foot in the place since it was torn down and rebuilt
http://www.cliffhouse.com/ so my comments are based on past
experience.

The Cliff House can be enjoyed over coctails or just walking through,
but eating there isn't a "must" (even for brunch). IMO: a better
"experience" would be at the Beach Chalet/Park Chalet further down.
Beach Chalet has a microbrewery, live entertainment and ocean views.
Park Chalet has a big fireplace, opens onto a lawn looking into Golden
Gate Park, has more hours of live entertainment and they share the
same kitchen.... the food is pretty darn good, but I wouldn't call it
inexpensive. Somehow a reasonable meal turns into a pricey one
because you're ordering all the extras. Families with kids can eat
cheap and enjoy music on the back lawn on weekend days by order
hotdogs/sausages made on an outdoor grill. They could limit their
liquid intake to beer or sodas, but a full bar is just a few feet
away....

http://www.beachchalet.com/

> I couldn't find any post about Spengers. I was there in Dec. 2003 and it
> was as good as ever.

http://www.themenupage.com/spengers.html

In 2003, the interior hadn't changed much (in fact many of the waiters
were the same as before the "change") and I didn't think the food was
a lot different either.... but it *was* different and I think that's
what was the problem is with diehard Spenger's fans. We used to go
there regularly, but not since the change in management.

> It's easy being a critic ain't it???

If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, being a food critic is
second nature.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:37:51 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:

> I can't see any advantage of the Cliffhouse at night - -unless there's a
> boat or two to view. I only ate there once decades ago and it was NOT VERY
> GOOD!

There is also a place south of Pacifica called the Moonraker, which is
a Cliff House type restaurant/bar place. Many moons ago when I was in
college, they had floodlights on the surf, so it was an awesome view
at night. I don't know why they stopped the practice... probably
ecological or economical reasons - but when I returned and the lights
weren't there, so I had no reason to go back again.

I see the Cliff House has floodlights on the ocean now..... and
that's a good enough reason to visit (go to the bar area) because the
view will be awesome! http://www.cliffhouse.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 00:33:55 GMT, Dimitri wrote:

> Mid-aftrenoon have a sour dough bread bowl full of soup at the Boudin bakery on
> the Warf.
>
> http://www.boudinbakery.com/
>
> At dinner time have the Cioppino at Scoma's (either location) It is a bit of a
> tourist trap and the wait is intolerable but my goodness the cioppino is
> sensational: Their Alfredo makes a nice split appetizer.
>
> Recipe he http://www.scomas.com/recipes/cioppino.htm

Thanks for that link! While the recipes look awesome, I think Scoma's
is over priced and the food is barely mediocre, but I'm a native SF
food critic! I'd never think of roasting a crab in the manner they
suggest... have you ever tried this?
http://www.scomas.com/recipes/roastedcrab.htm

> Finally an Irish coffee at the Buena Vista is a SF must.
>
> http://www.thebuenavista.com/irishcoffee.html

Ahhh, the BV! It's stored in my memory files under "fond" and I drop
by every so often to have brunch there. Did you discover the No Name
Bar in Sausalito when you were here?
http://www.decklinsdomain.com/Music/NoName.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

<snip>

>> http://www.thebuenavista.com/irishcoffee.html

> Ahhh, the BV! It's stored in my memory files under "fond" and I drop
> by every so often to have brunch there. Did you discover the No Name
> Bar in Sausalito when you were here?
> http://www.decklinsdomain.com/Music/NoName.htm

Nope - Never been - AMAF Sausalito is a little too touristy for my taste now.
That is a place to stay away from in the season. There is just something about
shorts and Wingtips........ Oh yes and a motor home.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> "Spengers?" Where are they located and what style restaurant is that?

I'm astounded. How could anybody live here and not have heard of this
place? It's one of the most famous seafood places in the BA, located in
Berkeley. It's not famous for being great, and there is a lot of debate
about it getting better and worse. Anyway:

http://www.themenupage.com/spengersmenu.html

I've never eaten there, but I think my wife has. If I was in Berkeley,
and hungry for seafood, I might try it. Since it has nothing to do with
either SFO or Union Square, I really can't recommend it for Stan.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:47:47 GMT, Dimitri wrote:

> <snip>
>
> >> http://www.thebuenavista.com/irishcoffee.html

> > Ahhh, the BV! It's stored in my memory files under "fond" and I drop
> > by every so often to have brunch there. Did you discover the No Name
> > Bar in Sausalito when you were here?
> > http://www.decklinsdomain.com/Music/NoName.htm

> Nope - Never been - AMAF Sausalito is a little too touristy for my taste now.
> That is a place to stay away from in the season. There is just something about
> shorts and Wingtips........

LOL... if you're talking about *you* in shorts and wingtips - I won't
comment on that fashion statement. However, we definatley have a
problem with tourists who wear white belts and white shoes. I must
say that most tourists, these days, fit in rather nicely. The only
way you can spot them is by their blue skin (not enough layers of
clothing for our cold weather) and fanny/backpacks.

> Oh yes and a motor home.

I don't think many tourists try navigating one on the narrow streets
of Sausalito.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "The Ranger" > wrote:
>

>> "Spengers?" Where are they located and what style restaurant is that?

> I'm astounded. How could anybody live here and not have heard of this
> place? It's one of the most famous seafood places in the BA, located in
> Berkeley. It's not famous for being great, and there is a lot of debate
> about it getting better and worse. Anyway:
>
> http://www.themenupage.com/spengersmenu.html
>

> I've never eaten there, but I think my wife has. If I was in Berkeley,
> and hungry for seafood, I might try it. Since it has nothing to do with
> either SFO or Union Square, I really can't recommend it for Stan.
>
> --
> Dan Abel

I'd agree that it is too far away from the airport. Particularly after
someone had driven so far already. Years ago I made a trip to Spengers from
Marin County -- really, just across the San Rafael bridge. If it's still
the same as it was then -- I suspect it might be -- it was just another fish
house on the west coast. After eating at a few fish houses on the east
coast, I don't look back on it as anything really special. Basically
another well-known restaurant crossed off the list.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:47:47 GMT, Dimitri wrote:
>
>> <snip>

>> > Ahhh, the BV! It's stored in my memory files under "fond" and I drop
>> > by every so often to have brunch there. Did you discover the No Name
>> > Bar in Sausalito when you were here?
>> > http://www.decklinsdomain.com/Music/NoName.htm

>> Nope - Never been - AMAF Sausalito is a little too touristy for my taste
>> now.
>> That is a place to stay away from in the season. There is just
>> something about
>> shorts and Wingtips........
>>

> LOL... if you're talking about *you* in shorts and wingtips - I won't
> comment on that fashion statement. However, we definatley have a
> problem with tourists who wear white belts and white shoes. I must
> say that most tourists, these days, fit in rather nicely. The only
> way you can spot them is by their blue skin (not enough layers of
> clothing for our cold weather) and fanny/backpacks.
>
>> Oh yes and a motor home.
>>

> I don't think many tourists try navigating one on the narrow streets
> of Sausalito.

Living in Hawaii and walking the beach almost everyday I was there, I know
that I must've looked like a local because there was a grassy postage-stamp
of an area where tourists (limit 5) would sit. I would walk by and
invariably they would make fun of me. I remember well a couple of tourists
getting a lot of make-fun-of mileage over another tourist standing in line.
The only thing unusual about him was he had long black socks on with this
white shoes and shorts. But they hee-hawed over this for at least 10
minutes.
I think there are certain people that just like to make fun of others'
looks, tourists-or-no.

I remember the no-name bar. I don't know what the attraction was.
Loser-looking people playing chess, reminded me sort of City Lights in SF --
another place they say not to be missed. It still HAS to be there!

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Ranger

Dan Abel > wrote in message
> In article >, "The Ranger"

> wrote:
> > "Spengers?" Where are they located and what style
> > restaurant is that?
> >

> I'm astounded. How could anybody live here and not
> have heard of this place? It's one of the most famous
> seafood places in the BA, located in Berkeley. It's not
> famous for being great, and there is a lot of debate
> about it getting better and worse. Anyway:
>
> http://www.themenupage.com/spengersmenu.html

It's easy. I never heard anyone of acquaintance or relationship mention
it; it's not made my local fish-wrap since it's not located in SF. If
it's as bad as those few that have recently mentioned it being, then I
would have definitely made sure to ignore any press releases to the
contrary. <shrug> Sorry to have disappointed you. Just another tic on my
list.

ObTopic: Burlingame has a whole group of restaurants near SFO. Park
along Broadway and give the few blocks a walkabout and something will
click.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> LOL... if you're talking about *you* in shorts and wingtips - I won't
> comment on that fashion statement. However, we definatley have a
> problem with tourists who wear white belts and white shoes. I must

Are you dissin' Navy folks on Veterans's Day? Our summer whites
have white shoes and white belts (and white trousers and blouses
and covers). ;-)

Is there some other group characterized by white belts and white shoes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On 11 Nov 2005 08:51:30 -0700, J wrote:

> sf > wrote:
> > LOL... if you're talking about *you* in shorts and wingtips - I won't
> > comment on that fashion statement. However, we definatley have a
> > problem with tourists who wear white belts and white shoes. I must

> Are you dissin' Navy folks on Veterans's Day? Our summer whites
> have white shoes and white belts (and white trousers and blouses
> and covers). ;-)

LOL! They are the only people who are officially allowed to dress
that way in SF. Happy Veteran's Day, btw.

> Is there some other group characterized by white belts and white shoes?

Absolutely, but I'd be stirring a regional differences pot about
differences that were obvious 25-30 years ago. They didn't even need
to open their mouths to know what part of the country they came from.
As I said previously, though, most tourists are pretty much generic
looking these days and blend in rather well. Of course, there really
aren't very many true native San Franciscans compared to the number of
people who came here from somewhere else.... so that's another factor
to consider.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlotte L. Blackmer

In article >,
Dan Abel > wrote:
>In article >,
> "The Ranger" > wrote:
>
>> "Spengers?" Where are they located and what style restaurant is that?

>I'm astounded. How could anybody live here and not have heard of this
>place? It's one of the most famous seafood places in the BA, located in
>Berkeley. It's not famous for being great,

That is definitely the case. Definitely a "Parents are in town so let's
go out someplace relatively nice" place. It could also do banquets,
unlike a lot of places in town.

>and there is a lot of debate
>about it getting better and worse.

It was pretty foul before the change of ownership. one of the few times
I've gotten ill from restaurant food.

>Anyway:
>
>http://www.themenupage.com/spengersmenu.html
>

>I've never eaten there, but I think my wife has. If I was in Berkeley,
>and hungry for seafood, I might try it.

If fish-and-chips at the Seabreeze Deli (University at I-80) won't do it,
consider going to Sea Salt instead. It's good!

<http://www.seasaltrestaurant.com>

>Since it has nothing to do with
>either SFO or Union Square, I really can't recommend it for Stan.

Indeed. Tadich's or Swan's Oyster Depot are a little less of a trip
from Moscone or Union Square and will provide tasty fish.

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:

> In article >,
> Dan Abel > wrote:
>>In article >,
>> "The Ranger" > wrote:
>>
>>> "Spengers?" Where are they located and what style restaurant is
>>> that?

>>I'm astounded. How could anybody live here and not have heard of this
>>place? It's one of the most famous seafood places in the BA, located
>>in Berkeley. It's not famous for being great,

> That is definitely the case. Definitely a "Parents are in town so
> let's go out someplace relatively nice" place. It could also do
> banquets, unlike a lot of places in town.
>
>>and there is a lot of debate
>>about it getting better and worse.

> It was pretty foul before the change of ownership. one of the few
> times I've gotten ill from restaurant food.
>
>>Anyway:
>>
>>http://www.themenupage.com/spengersmenu.html
>>

>>I've never eaten there, but I think my wife has. If I was in
>>Berkeley, and hungry for seafood, I might try it.

> If fish-and-chips at the Seabreeze Deli (University at I-80) won't do
> it, consider going to Sea Salt instead. It's good!
>
> <http://www.seasaltrestaurant.com>
>
>>Since it has nothing to do with
>>either SFO or Union Square, I really can't recommend it for Stan.

> Indeed. Tadich's or Swan's Oyster Depot are a little less of a trip
> from Moscone or Union Square and will provide tasty fish.
>
> Charlotte

While we're on the subject... on Geary or Van Ness in S.F., there was an
English Pub that had a nice bar and served up excellent fish and chips on
newspaper. The bar had a wood surface covered with large copper coins
nicely arranged across the whole length with a glass top.

Maybe it was an Irish Pub. I forget.

Ring a bell?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Spitzmaus

Andy wrote:

> While we're on the subject... on Geary or Van Ness in S.F., there was an
> English Pub that had a nice bar and served up excellent fish and chips on
> newspaper. The bar had a wood surface covered with large copper coins
> nicely arranged across the whole length with a glass top.
>
> Maybe it was an Irish Pub. I forget.
>
> Ring a bell?
>
> Andy

Hey, Andy, it's a Scottish pub, Edinburgh Castle. And it's still there, as
far as I know. Ah, those fish and chips were (are?) something, just like I
used to get at Greasy Pete's in Dundee, Scotland!

Terrific single malt, too . . .

Spitz
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Spitzmaus wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>
>> While we're on the subject... on Geary or Van Ness in S.F., there was
>> an English Pub that had a nice bar and served up excellent fish and
>> chips on newspaper. The bar had a wood surface covered with large
>> copper coins nicely arranged across the whole length with a glass
>> top.
>>
>> Maybe it was an Irish Pub. I forget.
>>
>> Ring a bell?
>>
>> Andy

> Hey, Andy, it's a Scottish pub, Edinburgh Castle. And it's still
> there, as far as I know. Ah, those fish and chips were (are?)
> something, just like I used to get at Greasy Pete's in Dundee,
> Scotland!
>
> Terrific single malt, too . . .
>
> Spitz

Spitz,

That's great! It's only been 25+ years, but it made a lasting impression
for me to remember it so well.

Nice to know some things never change!

Thanks,

Andy