Brunello di Montalcino

Default gas grill cleaning

Just got an LP grill and the manual says to
turn the burners on full and close the lid for
5 minutes to burn off oils before using and
optionally after using. Has anyone tried this
after cooking fatty meats and found their grill
easier or tougher to clean from doing this?

Replies from news:austin.general so far
have mentioned:

* cleaning only before cooking for rust
prevention depending on kind of grates.

* burning everything to ashes for 15-20min
which seems to be deteriorating his
procelain coating.

The grill (Coleman 2000 Series) has
porcelain-coated cast iron grids, what
looks to me like a stainless steel tent
for burning up drippings, stainless steel
burners, and iron walls.

Thanks for any more inputs.

Matthew L. Martin

Brunello di Montalcino wrote:

> Just got an LP grill and the manual says to
> turn the burners on full and close the lid for
> 5 minutes to burn off oils before using and
> optionally after using. Has anyone tried this
> after cooking fatty meats and found their grill
> easier or tougher to clean from doing this?
>
> Replies from news:austin.general so far
> have mentioned:
>
> * cleaning only before cooking for rust
> prevention depending on kind of grates.

This is the technique I use. I heat it up and brush the grill off just
before use. Of course I use my grill 3 to 5 times a week.

Matthew (it works for me)

--
<http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
You can't break even.
You can't get out of the game.

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 15:15:23 GMT, "Brunello di Montalcino"
> wrote:

>Just got an LP grill and the manual says to
>turn the burners on full and close the lid for
>5 minutes to burn off oils before using and
>optionally after using. Has anyone tried this
>after cooking fatty meats and found their grill
>easier or tougher to clean from doing this?
>
>Replies from news:austin.general so far
>have mentioned:
>
>* cleaning only before cooking for rust
> prevention depending on kind of grates.
>
>* burning everything to ashes for 15-20min
> which seems to be deteriorating his
> procelain coating.
>
>The grill (Coleman 2000 Series) has
>porcelain-coated cast iron grids, what
>looks to me like a stainless steel tent
>for burning up drippings, stainless steel
>burners, and iron walls.
>
>Thanks for any more inputs.

Clean the grill???
I rub the grill with some aluminum foil before cooking on it.
My grill's getting old, though, and won't heat up like it used to.
It's an old Sears unit (probably over 20 years old). It won't even do
steaks right anymore; won't get hot enough. It still does chicken the
way we like it, though, because that doesn't need as much heat.
Used to be, I could set it to 'clean', and it would get hot enough to
burn off all the grease & ants, but it just won't do it anymore.
(Well, it does kill the ants.)
Before the Spring, I'll be getting a new one, but I'm not sure what,
yet. I was ready to buy the $900 SS unit Costco had (with rotisserie),
but didn't quite have the money. Of course, they don't have it
anymore.
Tomorrow I'll be Q'ing 2 pork shoulders, and some beef ribs. I bought
some pecan wood to try in the Black diamond. I think the rub will be
simple: sea salt, black pepper, and some garlic powder. Seems to work
for us.

--
Bill
Replace "g" with "a"