Cooking Equipment (rec.food.equipment) Discussion of food-related equipment. Includes items used in food preparation and storage, including major and minor appliances, gadgets and utensils, infrastructure, and food- and recipe-related software.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-10-2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3
Default Cleaning Viking Rangetop Grill?

How do you clean your Viking rangetop grill? We have a Viking rangetop
grill but have only used it a few times because cleaning it takes
something like 2 hours, gets you close to the gas feed line, and, with
all the sharp edges, just seems dangerous.

Do other customers actually clean their grills thoroughly, inside and
out, after each use or do they just empty the drip tray? If you were
to only empty the drip tray, will the unit start to smell & attract
bugs?

Also, to do a thorough cleaning, can you take it apart and put the
components into a self-cleaning oven or will they deform?

We'd love to use the grill but, with the current issues, it's just not
worth the effort. Can anyone help here?

Thanks!
-- Ben


  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 07-10-2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 50
Default Cleaning Viking Rangetop Grill?

On 10/5/06 4:30 PM, in article
, "Ben"
wrote:

How do you clean your Viking rangetop grill? We have a Viking rangetop
grill but have only used it a few times because cleaning it takes
something like 2 hours, gets you close to the gas feed line, and, with
all the sharp edges, just seems dangerous.

Do other customers actually clean their grills thoroughly, inside and
out, after each use or do they just empty the drip tray? If you were
to only empty the drip tray, will the unit start to smell & attract
bugs?

Also, to do a thorough cleaning, can you take it apart and put the
components into a self-cleaning oven or will they deform?

We'd love to use the grill but, with the current issues, it's just not
worth the effort. Can anyone help here?

Thanks!
-- Ben

2 hours to clean the grille? What are you doing to that poor thing that you
spend so much time cleaning it? You don't see anybody spending that amount
of time cleaning any other type of grille, particularly the outdoor variety.
Get your self a good brass bristle grille brush; some also have a scraper
edge/notch on them. Turn the flame off and grab a moist heavy towel with a
pair of tongs and wipe the surface down. Then scrape off the hard stuff and
give it a good brushing. When done wipe off the grille with some vegetable
oil or olive oil and be done with it. Shouldn't take more than 5 to 10
minutes, certainly not almost 2 hours.

If you are attracting bugs inside, then you've got other problems to worry
about that are more serious than a dirty grille.
--
de N2MPU Jack
Modeling the NYC/NYNH&H in HO and CP Rail/D&H in N
Proud NRA Life Member

  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 09-10-2006, 12:08 PM posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3
Default Cleaning Viking Rangetop Grill?

Thanks, Jack. The problem is that the grill is designed such that
grease drips through it, off various components on teh inside and into
a drip pan underneath. Even the instruction manual has cleaning
instructions that show taking the whole unit apart the way that I do.

-- Ben



Jack wrote:
On 10/5/06 4:30 PM, in article
, "Ben"
wrote:

How do you clean your Viking rangetop grill? We have a Viking rangetop
grill but have only used it a few times because cleaning it takes
something like 2 hours, gets you close to the gas feed line, and, with
all the sharp edges, just seems dangerous.

Do other customers actually clean their grills thoroughly, inside and
out, after each use or do they just empty the drip tray? If you were
to only empty the drip tray, will the unit start to smell & attract
bugs?

Also, to do a thorough cleaning, can you take it apart and put the
components into a self-cleaning oven or will they deform?

We'd love to use the grill but, with the current issues, it's just not
worth the effort. Can anyone help here?

Thanks!
-- Ben

2 hours to clean the grille? What are you doing to that poor thing that you
spend so much time cleaning it? You don't see anybody spending that amount
of time cleaning any other type of grille, particularly the outdoor variety.
Get your self a good brass bristle grille brush; some also have a scraper
edge/notch on them. Turn the flame off and grab a moist heavy towel with a
pair of tongs and wipe the surface down. Then scrape off the hard stuff and
give it a good brushing. When done wipe off the grille with some vegetable
oil or olive oil and be done with it. Shouldn't take more than 5 to 10
minutes, certainly not almost 2 hours.

If you are attracting bugs inside, then you've got other problems to worry
about that are more serious than a dirty grille.
--
de N2MPU Jack
Modeling the NYC/NYNH&H in HO and CP Rail/D&H in N
Proud NRA Life Member


  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 09-10-2006, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.equipment
jes jes is offline
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17
Default Cleaning Viking Rangetop Grill?

Ben, I agree. After a couple of those marathon cleaning sessions I put
a warning to my husband of: "out of order" on the thing. He followed
the mfr's directions of keeping the flame on and swiping with wet
cloth. That simply made a horrendous mess dripping through and burning
on to all the underneath parts.

Now I make do with the broiler and the griddle which covers 2 burners.
That thing is really wonderful, as I can cook an entire meal on it.
Keep the back burner on low to keep something warm, and the front on
high.

It cleans up fairly easily and, being black, I don't know if it's
showroom clean or not -- nor do I care.

Joan

  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-10-2006, 01:59 PM posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3
Default Cleaning Viking Rangetop Grill?

Joan, doesn't the fat from normal grilling also drip through to the
drip tray? If not, then I'm wondering if I've got the thing set up
correctly. Thanks!
-- Ben

jes wrote:
Ben, I agree. After a couple of those marathon cleaning sessions I put
a warning to my husband of: "out of order" on the thing. He followed
the mfr's directions of keeping the flame on and swiping with wet
cloth. That simply made a horrendous mess dripping through and burning
on to all the underneath parts.

Now I make do with the broiler and the griddle which covers 2 burners.
That thing is really wonderful, as I can cook an entire meal on it.
Keep the back burner on low to keep something warm, and the front on
high.

It cleans up fairly easily and, being black, I don't know if it's
showroom clean or not -- nor do I care.

Joan




  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 13-10-2006, 07:38 PM posted to rec.food.equipment
jes jes is offline
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17
Default Cleaning Viking Rangetop Grill?


Ben wrote:
Joan, doesn't the fat from normal grilling also drip through to the
drip tray? If not, then I'm wondering if I've got the thing set up
correctly. Thanks!
-- Ben


Eventually, yes, but there are several parts to get their share of
grease on the way to the drip tray. We only used ours a few times for
some fairly greaseless steak, so I'm just not too experienced. (But
still had an awful mess to clean up.)

You might want to check with the Viking manual for set-up. If you
don't have one, maybe there's one on-line.

A cleaning tip someone passed on to me: spray the parts with oven
cleaner and put them in a big plastic bag and seal and leave overnight.


Joan



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Viking range grill option EZ General Cooking 7 14-05-2007 09:01 PM
Viking range grill option? EZ Barbecue 0 10-05-2007 04:29 PM
Best rangetop grill? Larry Lewis Cooking Equipment 1 07-12-2004 02:05 AM
cleaning grill - before or after cooking? [email protected] Barbecue 11 10-08-2004 03:15 PM
gas grill cleaning Brunello di Montalcino Barbecue 2 05-10-2003 02:43 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017