Wayne Boatwright

Default Cleaning Stainless Steel Grill

We have a Brinkman gas grill with stainless steel hood, doors, and parts of
the frame. We'd like to give this a good cleaning, de-greasing, remove
some burnt on "varnish" areas, etc. However, we do _not_ want to scour the
finish or use any abrasives that would leave marks on the finish.

Any suggestions for a successful job?

TIA
Wayne
Vox Humana

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> We have a Brinkman gas grill with stainless steel hood, doors, and parts

of
> the frame. We'd like to give this a good cleaning, de-greasing, remove
> some burnt on "varnish" areas, etc. However, we do _not_ want to scour

the
> finish or use any abrasives that would leave marks on the finish.
>
> Any suggestions for a successful job?

I use heavy duty oven cleaner on stainless. It works fine on my stainless
cookware and range top. The issue with the grill may be keeping the cleaner
in place. I generally take large objects and put them in garbage bags,
spray them, and then close the bag for several hours. The old vanish rinses
right off.

Bill484923

Go to your local auto body supply store and buy some gold scuff pads . I use
them all the time willnot scratch stainless
Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 03:58:56 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>We have a Brinkman gas grill with stainless steel hood, doors, and parts of
>the frame. We'd like to give this a good cleaning, de-greasing, remove
>some burnt on "varnish" areas, etc. However, we do _not_ want to scour the
>finish or use any abrasives that would leave marks on the finish.
>
>Any suggestions for a successful job?

Others in alt.food.barbecue have suggested a product called
"Bartender's Friend." Someone else has suggested oven cleaner. One
caution about oven cleaner: It is a very effective paint remover.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Rob

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message >...
> We have a Brinkman gas grill with stainless steel hood, doors, and parts of
> the frame. We'd like to give this a good cleaning, de-greasing, remove
> some burnt on "varnish" areas, etc. However, we do _not_ want to scour the
> finish or use any abrasives that would leave marks on the finish.
>
> Any suggestions for a successful job?
>
> TIA
> Wayne

"Greased Lighning"! Best damn de-greaser I've ever used.
Should be able to buy it at a grocery or discount store.
Just be sure to flush real well with water.

Rob (who isn't an employee of A&M Cleaning Products)

Spud

> Others in alt.food.barbecue have suggested a product called
> "Bartender's Friend." Someone else has suggested oven cleaner. One
> caution about oven cleaner: It is a very effective paint remover.
>
> --

I use Bartender's Friend on my stainless steel pots and pans. It won't
scratch, but it sure won't cut a bunch of baked on bbq crud. I use a
pressure washer on the outside of my stainless grill and it works fine. I
don't clean the inside, just burn it off at high heat once in a while.

Spud

Wayne Boatwright

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> We have a Brinkman gas grill with stainless steel hood, doors, and
> parts of the frame. We'd like to give this a good cleaning,

Following up to my own post...

Thanks, all, for the great suggestions. I would probably go for the oven
cleaner, but quite a few areas of the stainless steel are adjacent to
enameled surfaces (not porcelain enamel), and I'm afraid it might ruin the
finish on these areas.

I already have Barkeeper's Friend, so that will be my first try. Also like
the ideas of the buffing pad and the degreaser mentioned.

I've already tried Dawn and it wasn't quite as effective as I had hoped.

Thanks again!

Wayne

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> We have a Brinkman gas grill with stainless steel hood, doors, and parts of
> the frame. We'd like to give this a good cleaning, de-greasing, remove
> some burnt on "varnish" areas, etc. However, we do _not_ want to scour the
> finish or use any abrasives that would leave marks on the finish.
>
> Any suggestions for a successful job?
>
> TIA
> Wayne

Go to a restaurant supply shop and buy some SF-77. Spray that stuff on
with a spray bottle and all grease and stuff will melt right off. You
may want to dump some in hot water in a bucket and use a sponge type
scrubber for dishes to scrub if it doesn't dissolve fast enough for you.
just make sure you hose it off real good after scrubbing it down.