Chuck

Default Dallas to Phoenix BBQ

Just a few highlights from our recent trip from Dallas and then back home to
Phoenix.

First stop was Sonny Bryans in Grapevine, TX. Nice people working behind the
counter, but marginal bbq. Wife had the brisket sandwich.Looked good but she
was unimpressed, said my Q is better.
I had the 3 meat sampler, brisket, pork ribs, and link sausage. Brisket was
dry and not much flavor, ribs were tasty, but the sausage tasted like
Hillshire Farms Smoked Sausage. The meal was good enough but kind of weak,
you know like a friend invites you over for his version of "BBQ". Not at all
what I was hoping for.

Spent the night in Waco, had Mexican, pretty good.
Next was Cooper's in LLano, very cool, very good. Ordered 1 lb of brisket
( I think the guy said it was sirloin), some ribs, a huge pork chop and
sausage. Good all around. Awesome place.

The last Q spot we tried was Stateline in El Paso. Had not heard of it
before, but the motel guy said it was good and the guy behind me in line
said so too so that was dinner.Wife and I split the 5 meat plate one beef
rib,3 spare ribs,sausage link, turkey breast and brisket. all of it was very
good huge portions good sides and we had room for their bread pudding. All
in all a really good meal. and I can recommend Stateline as a great place to
eat.

Thanks to all who post in this newsgroup, I have learned allot.

Jack Sloan

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> Just a few highlights from our recent trip from Dallas and then back home

> Phoenix.
>
> First stop was Sonny Bryans in Grapevine, TX. Nice people working behind

the
> counter, but marginal bbq. Wife had the brisket sandwich.Looked good but

she
> was unimpressed, said my Q is better.
> I had the 3 meat sampler, brisket, pork ribs, and link sausage. Brisket

was
> dry and not much flavor, ribs were tasty, but the sausage tasted like
> Hillshire Farms Smoked Sausage. The meal was good enough but kind of weak,
> you know like a friend invites you over for his version of "BBQ". Not at

all
> what I was hoping for.
>

> Spent the night in Waco, had Mexican, pretty good.
> Next was Cooper's in LLano, very cool, very good. Ordered 1 lb of brisket
> ( I think the guy said it was sirloin), some ribs, a huge pork chop and
> sausage. Good all around. Awesome place.

Are ya sure it wasn't a sirloin steak?. I like it way better than the
brisket.
Jack

Chuck

Might have been a sirloin roast? It was cut from a large piece of meat,
whatever it was it was beef and it was good .

Chuck

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> "Chuck" > wrote in message
> > Just a few highlights from our recent trip from Dallas and then back

home
> > Phoenix.
> >
> > First stop was Sonny Bryans in Grapevine, TX. Nice people working behind

> the
> > counter, but marginal bbq. Wife had the brisket sandwich.Looked good but

> she
> > was unimpressed, said my Q is better.
> > I had the 3 meat sampler, brisket, pork ribs, and link sausage. Brisket

> was
> > dry and not much flavor, ribs were tasty, but the sausage tasted like
> > Hillshire Farms Smoked Sausage. The meal was good enough but kind of

weak,
> > you know like a friend invites you over for his version of "BBQ". Not at

> all
> > what I was hoping for.
> >

> > Spent the night in Waco, had Mexican, pretty good.
> > Next was Cooper's in LLano, very cool, very good. Ordered 1 lb of

brisket
> > ( I think the guy said it was sirloin), some ribs, a huge pork chop and
> > sausage. Good all around. Awesome place.
> >

> Are ya sure it wasn't a sirloin steak?. I like it way better than the
> brisket.
> Jack

Herb Levy

In article >, Jack Sloan
> wrote:

> "Chuck" > wrote in message

> > Spent the night in Waco, had Mexican, pretty good.
> > Next was Cooper's in LLano, very cool, very good. Ordered 1 lb of brisket
> > ( I think the guy said it was sirloin), some ribs, a huge pork chop and
> > sausage. Good all around. Awesome place.
> >

> Are ya sure it wasn't a sirloin steak?. I like it way better than the
> brisket.
> Jack

Cooper's does sirloin and brisket. If the guy working the pit told you
it was sirloin, then that's what you got.

FWIW, Cooper's is apparently George W Bush's favorite BBQ place.
Lee Sebel

Chuck wrote:

> Just a few highlights from our recent trip from Dallas and then back home to
> Phoenix.
>
> First stop was Sonny Bryans in Grapevine, TX. Nice people working behind the
> counter, but marginal bbq. Wife had the brisket sandwich.Looked good but she
> was unimpressed, said my Q is better.
> I had the 3 meat sampler, brisket, pork ribs, and link sausage. Brisket was
> dry and not much flavor, ribs were tasty, but the sausage tasted like
> Hillshire Farms Smoked Sausage. The meal was good enough but kind of weak,
> you know like a friend invites you over for his version of "BBQ". Not at all
> what I was hoping for.
>
> Spent the night in Waco, had Mexican, pretty good.
> Next was Cooper's in LLano, very cool, very good. Ordered 1 lb of brisket
> ( I think the guy said it was sirloin), some ribs, a huge pork chop and
> sausage. Good all around. Awesome place.
>
> The last Q spot we tried was Stateline in El Paso. Had not heard of it
> before, but the motel guy said it was good and the guy behind me in line
> said so too so that was dinner.Wife and I split the 5 meat plate one beef
> rib,3 spare ribs,sausage link, turkey breast and brisket. all of it was very
> good huge portions good sides and we had room for their bread pudding. All
> in all a really good meal. and I can recommend Stateline as a great place to
> eat.
>
> Thanks to all who post in this newsgroup, I have learned allot.

Except that the only Sonny Bryan's worth visiting is the original!

--
Tonefully yours...

Lee Sebel • Cool Music Gear / Mountain Audio Group • 888-487-2166
Representing Manufacturers of Distinction Since 1983

Want your Email Inbox to be SPAM FREE like mine? Check out SpamArrest:
http://spamarrest.com/affl?401005

WTF Is A [Tor] Phoenix? ah Historic 0 06-07-2012 01:59 AM
Phoenix ? ? ? Lynn from Fargo General Cooking 41 19-04-2010 03:09 PM
Dallas Car Finance Loan – Offers Car Loans for the People living in Dallas CarDollarForall General Cooking 0 15-08-2008 07:56 AM
Phoenix, AZ TechMyst Beer 1 13-11-2006 04:31 PM
ATTN: Phoenix & AZ RFC'ers, Phoenix Cook-In Wayne General Cooking 11 17-08-2004 01:39 AM