Old 15-04-2010, 06:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Phoenix ? ? ?

I find I will be in Phoenix May 12 thru the 16th. I'll be there for
an ABA Equal Justice Conference. The conference itself will be at the
Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs (11111 N 7th Street) bit I will be at
the overflow hotel Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort (7687 N 16th
Street).

Breakfasts and lunches I will have to have in the hotel. A couple of
the lunches and a dinner have speeches etc and will be at the hotel
but I will have at least two dinners on my own.

I'm looking for restaurant/foodie suggestions. Phoenix "special" or
local food and places to eat it. I'll try to talk some brave soul
from the conference into going with me.

Suggestions are welcome and my thanks are great.

Lynn from Fargo

Old 15-04-2010, 08:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 22:18:56 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
wrote:

I'm looking for restaurant/foodie suggestions. Phoenix "special" or
local food and places to eat it. I'll try to talk some brave soul
from the conference into going with me.

Pizzeria Bianco. It's a long wait though..but considered one of the
best pizzas in the US. If you can get 5 more people to go with you,
you can get a reservation. They do have a wine bar where you can
wait.
http://www.pizzeriabianco.com/

I ate there on a Wednesday, and was lucky to be with some other
RFC'ers and we were pretty close to being first in line... The pizzas
are simple, in the Neapolitan style... I think the owner, Chris
Bianco, has won a James Beard award.

Christine

Old 16-04-2010, 10:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo" wrote in message
I find I will be in Phoenix May 12 thru the 16th. I'll be there for
an ABA Equal Justice Conference. The conference itself will be at the
Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs (11111 N 7th Street) bit I will be at
the overflow hotel Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort (7687 N 16th
Street).

Breakfasts and lunches I will have to have in the hotel. A couple of
the lunches and a dinner have speeches etc and will be at the hotel
but I will have at least two dinners on my own.

I'm looking for restaurant/foodie suggestions. Phoenix "special" or
local food and places to eat it. I'll try to talk some brave soul
from the conference into going with me.

Suggestions are welcome and my thanks are great.

Lynn from Fargo

The Phoenix (area) Mexican food is very different - ask at the hotel desk
"if you were going out for Mexican food where would you go"?

Go there.

Asking the front desk clerk has always worked for me.

Dimitri

Old 16-04-2010, 10:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I'm looking for restaurant/foodie suggestions. Phoenix "special" or
local food and places to eat it. I'll try to talk some brave soul
from the conference into going with me.

Pizzeria Bianco. It's a long wait though..but considered one of the
best pizzas in the US. If you can get 5 more people to go with you,
you can get a reservation. They do have a wine bar where you can
wait.
http://www.pizzeriabianco.com/

BTDT; hated it and "The Experience." Gave the place two tries and will
_never_ give them another dime of my money.

The Ranger

Old 16-04-2010, 11:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote in message
I find I will be in Phoenix May 12 thru the 16th. I'll be there for
an ABA Equal Justice Conference. The conference itself will be at the
Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs (11111 N 7th Street) bit I will be at
the overflow hotel Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort (7687 N 16th
Street).

[snip]
Suggestions are welcome and my thanks are great.

Do you have transportation available or must everything be within walking
distance of the hotels?

If you have transportation, Kinfolk's BBQ was a very good find. Waldo's BBQ
was another enjoyable meal for most of Clan Ranger (Daughter-unit Alpha
found the brisket to be too tough and gamy.)

The Ranger

Old 16-04-2010, 11:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Apr 14, 10:18 pm, Lynn from Fargo wrote:
[snip]
I'm looking for restaurant/foodie suggestions. Phoenix "special" or
local food and places to eat it. I'll try to talk some brave soul
from the conference into going with me.

Suggestions are welcome and my thanks are great.

If you're in the mood for beef, Pinnacle Peak's Patio in Scottsdale.
The good quality (but not outrageously expensive) steaks are grilled
over mesquite wood fire. Standard accompaniments are simple green
salad and what they call 'cowboy beans' (pintos). So it's a downhome
kind of steakhouse, tasty, substantial food that won't break the
budget. If your accompanying brave soul is male, warn him not to wear
a tie or they'll (loudly) cut it off and tack it on the wall.

Other than that place (and it was some years ago) we've not found
foodie destinations in Phoenix. -aem

Old 17-04-2010, 12:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
aem wrote:

On Apr 14, 10:18 pm, Lynn from Fargo wrote:
[snip]
I'm looking for restaurant/foodie suggestions. Phoenix "special" or
local food and places to eat it. I'll try to talk some brave soul
from the conference into going with me.

Suggestions are welcome and my thanks are great.

If you're in the mood for beef, Pinnacle Peak's Patio in Scottsdale.
The good quality (but not outrageously expensive) steaks are grilled
over mesquite wood fire. Standard accompaniments are simple green
salad and what they call 'cowboy beans' (pintos). So it's a downhome
kind of steakhouse, tasty, substantial food that won't break the
budget. If your accompanying brave soul is male, warn him not to wear
a tie or they'll (loudly) cut it off and tack it on the wall.

http://www.pppatio.com/home/default.asp

Looks good!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 17-04-2010, 02:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Christine Dabney wrote:
Pizzeria Bianco. It's a long wait though..but considered one of the
best pizzas in the US. If you can get 5 more people to go with you,
you can get a reservation. They do have a wine bar where you can
wait.
http://www.pizzeriabianco.com/

I ate there on a Wednesday, and was lucky to be with some other
RFC'ers

Christine

Well, c'mon!! Who'd you have pizza with?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Old 17-04-2010, 02:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
Lynn from wrote in message

I find I will be in Phoenix May 12 thru the 16th. I'll be there for
an ABA Equal Justice Conference. The conference itself will be at the
Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs (11111 N 7th Street) bit I will be at
the overflow hotel Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort (7687 N 16th
Street).

[snip]

Suggestions are welcome and my thanks are great.

Do you have transportation available or must everything be within walking
distance of the hotels?

If you have transportation, Kinfolk's BBQ was a very good find. Waldo's BBQ
was another enjoyable meal for most of Clan Ranger (Daughter-unit Alpha
found the brisket to be too tough and gamy.)

The Ranger

Daughter-unit Alpha? Is that some lame Star Trek reference or are you
just a moron?
Old 17-04-2010, 03:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 20:17:58 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

Christine Dabney wrote:

I ate there on a Wednesday, and was lucky to be with some other
RFC'ers

Christine

Well, c'mon!! Who'd you have pizza with?

Blair Houghton, and Readah...remember them?
We all loved it. I think we got every single pizza on the menu...and
they were all fantastic.
This was back in 1994.

And don't pay attention to that Ranger person... Our pizzas were
fantastic, and the service was great. We sat at the bar. Chris
Bianco, who was there making pizzas, smiled at us.

I would go back there in a heartbeat.

Christine

Old 17-04-2010, 03:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" wrote

The Phoenix (area) Mexican food is very different - ask at the hotel desk
"if you were going out for Mexican food where would you go"?

Go there.

Bonus points if he say he'd go to his mother's house. Double bonus points
if he sends you there.

Old 17-04-2010, 06:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 21:42:34 -0400, Larry
wrote:

Daughter-unit Alpha? Is that some lame Star Trek reference or are you
just a moron?

You haven't followed this newsgroup for long, have you. I knew
perfectly well what he meant.

--
Zilbandy
Old 17-04-2010, 09:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Thank you - ALL of ypu! I appreciated the specific suggestions and
really liked being told Arizona Mexican was different. I will post or
baring home reviews.
Lynn in Fargo
Old 17-04-2010, 03:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

I ate there on a Wednesday, and was lucky to be with some other
RFC'ers

Christine

Well, c'mon!! Who'd you have pizza with?

Blair Houghton, and Readah...remember them?
We all loved it. I think we got every single pizza on the menu...and
they were all fantastic.
This was back in 1994.

And don't pay attention to that Ranger person... Our pizzas were
fantastic, and the service was great. We sat at the bar. Chris
Bianco, who was there making pizzas, smiled at us.

I would go back there in a heartbeat.

Christine

I remember Readah.

Old 17-04-2010, 03:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Lynn from Fargo wrote:

I find I will be in Phoenix May 12 thru the 16th. I'll be there for
an ABA Equal Justice Conference. The conference itself will be at the
Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs (11111 N 7th Street) bit I will be at
the overflow hotel Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort (7687 N 16th
Street).

Breakfasts and lunches I will have to have in the hotel. A couple of
the lunches and a dinner have speeches etc and will be at the hotel
but I will have at least two dinners on my own.

I'm looking for restaurant/foodie suggestions. Phoenix "special" or
local food and places to eat it. I'll try to talk some brave soul
from the conference into going with me.

Suggestions are welcome and my thanks are great.

Lynn from Fargo

Best food I ever had in the area was at Il Pescatore in Scottsdale.
http://www.nileguide.com/destination...-pescatore/395
524

When we ate there they were located in a strip mall on Scottsdale Road
and Thunderbird, I think. I do NOT know if the info in the link above
is still valid.

WTF Is A [Tor] Phoenix? ah Historic 0 06-07-2012 01:59 AM
Phoenix SUPREME magicleaf Tea 12 27-03-2007 11:14 AM
Phoenix, AZ TechMyst Beer 1 13-11-2006 04:31 PM
Phoenix Cook-in Christine Dabney General Cooking 3 13-09-2004 04:29 AM
ATTN: Phoenix & AZ RFC'ers, Phoenix Cook-In Wayne General Cooking 11 17-08-2004 01:39 AM