Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Briquettes won't Light

Cant seem to get the briquettes to light in my Q.

I have to use loads of lighter fluid before I get a decent temperature and
they burn hot.

Should I buy a chimney thang?

Al

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Patch wrote:
> Cant seem to get the briquettes to light in my Q.
>
> I have to use loads of lighter fluid before I get a decent temperature and
> they burn hot.
>
> Should I buy a chimney thang?
>
> Al

Probably old/moisture? Keep stored inside garage or house, if in garage
keep them off floor. Try a new bag from store, use Kingsford, and yes,
get rid of starter fluid regardless and use a starter can!!!!!!!!!!

--
Regards,
piedmont

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 10, 12:16*pm, "Harry Patch" > wrote:
> Cant seem to get the briquettes to light in my Q.
>
> I have to use loads of lighter fluid before I get a decent temperature and
> they burn hot.
>
> Should I buy a chimney thang?
>
> Al

Try storing the charcoal somewhere not so damp, like Morocco.

If that's not possible, then somewhere dryer than you're currently
using anyway.

If that's not possible, find some fuel with a little more oomph than
lighter fluid. JP4 mixed with liquidized wax might do a trick.

Seriously though, how you start it has little to nothing to do with
the resulting heat. You simply have soggy coals I expect.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Sky Sky is offline

Harry Patch wrote:

> Cant seem to get the briquettes to light in my Q.
>
> I have to use loads of lighter fluid before I get a decent temperature and
> they burn hot.
>
> Should I buy a chimney thang?
>
> Al

Ditch ANY starter fluid and use the "chimney thang"!!! Use crumpled-up
old newspapers (not magazines!) and add a wee bit of veggie oil (not
much more than 2 Tbs, if even that much) soaked (sort of) into the
crumpled-up paper to put in that bottom part of that 'chimney thang'
<G>.

Sky, who's far from expert!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:02:53 -0600, Sky >
wrote:

>Harry Patch wrote:
>>
>> Cant seem to get the briquettes to light in my Q.
>>
>> I have to use loads of lighter fluid before I get a decent temperature and
>> they burn hot.
>>
>> Should I buy a chimney thang?
>>
>> Al

>Ditch ANY starter fluid and use the "chimney thang"!!! Use crumpled-up
>old newspapers (not magazines!) and add a wee bit of veggie oil (not
>much more than 2 Tbs, if even that much) soaked (sort of) into the
>crumpled-up paper to put in that bottom part of that 'chimney thang'
><G>.
>
>Sky, who's far from expert!

I like the solution someone here had, of using scraps from the lump
bag to start the chimney. I've never had it fail, and paper towels and
newspaper have both failed for me.

The other that doesn't fail is using the paper towel that I used for
greasing the hibachi, saved from the previous time I used it.

Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Harry Patch" > wrote in message
> Cant seem to get the briquettes to light in my Q.
>
> I have to use loads of lighter fluid before I get a decent
> temperature and
> they burn hot.
>
> Should I buy a chimney thang?
>
> Al

Al, I would seriously like to suggest another approach. That is,
quit using
briquettes all together. I read how they make them, using coal
dust, sawdust,
a small amount of ground up charcoal, and glue. If this is what you
want to
cook with, then so be it.

I suggest instead, use real wood that is available in your area for
little of nothing;
using a chimney to start a few small pieces as a starter for the
rest. In lieu of
that, get some real charcoal (often called, chunk). It isn't
pretty like briquettes but it works much better and is easier to
use.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Use the chimney thing. For years, we've used one which was simply a very
large coffee can with both ends removed. Its free if you already have
one and in time you can still recycle it.

Cheers! -- Rik

--
Rik Brown

Share your experiences in the forums, blogs, videos, and online
community at 'TRAVEL.com' (http://forums.TRAVEL.com).
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, Rik Brown says...

>Use the chimney thing. For years, we've used one which was simply a very
>large coffee can with both ends removed. Its free if you already have
>one and in time you can still recycle it.

My dad used the coffee can chimney back in the 1960s. I used them for years
until I couldn't find metal coffee cans anymore with coffee in them I like to
drink.

So I bought a chimney and light the charcoal with crumpled newspaper sprayed
with PAM.

I was grilling at a RV Park a couple of weeks ago. I set up the chimney, lit it
and then went to prepare my evening beverage. The guy across from me kept
pouring lighter fluid on his charcoal over and over again.

I would bet my chicken tasted better than whatever he was trying to grill.

Mark