Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Smokin parts

Was gonna make chicken fried steak today. I really don't feel like
cooking.

So I decided to Q some chicken leg quarters I got yesterday for .79
cents a pound. In the smoker at 220 right now. No brine, no sauce.
just mesquie and heat.

I will prob. crisp up the skin on the grill along with some grilled
potato wedges.

Felling lazy today.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 14-Sep-2009, Gene > wrote:

> Was gonna make chicken fried steak today. I really don't feel like
> cooking.
>
> So I decided to Q some chicken leg quarters I got yesterday for .79
> cents a pound. In the smoker at 220 right now. No brine, no sauce.
> just mesquie and heat.
>
> I will prob. crisp up the skin on the grill along with some grilled
> potato wedges.
>
> Felling lazy today.

Chick legs are a poor candidate for low and slow. Grill or roast
at 350F or higher. There is no colagen to break down. Slow
doesn't help.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 04:16:44 GMT, "Brick"
> wrote:

>On 14-Sep-2009, Gene > wrote:
>
>> Was gonna make chicken fried steak today. I really don't feel like
>> cooking.
>>
>> So I decided to Q some chicken leg quarters I got yesterday for .79
>> cents a pound. In the smoker at 220 right now. No brine, no sauce.
>> just mesquie and heat.
>>
>> I will prob. crisp up the skin on the grill along with some grilled
>> potato wedges.
>>
>> Felling lazy today.

>Chick legs are a poor candidate for low and slow. Grill or roast
>at 350F or higher. There is no colagen to break down. Slow
>doesn't help.

Leg Quarters. Q for flavor, not for tenderizing.

But they were real tender and juicy

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gene wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 04:16:44 GMT, "Brick"
> > wrote:
>

>>Chick legs are a poor candidate for low and slow. Grill or roast
>>at 350F or higher. There is no colagen to break down. Slow
>>doesn't help.

> Leg Quarters. Q for flavor, not for tenderizing.
>
> But they were real tender and juicy

Now I know you're a fellow smokehead.

It's all about the smoke!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
>>Chick legs are a poor candidate for low and slow. Grill or roast
>>at 350F or higher. There is no colagen to break down. Slow
>>doesn't help.

> Leg Quarters. Q for flavor, not for tenderizing.
>
> But they were real tender and juicy

If you want crispy skin, just raise the temperature for the best of both.
You need about 350 or so.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 06:54:20 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Gene" > wrote in message
>>>Chick legs are a poor candidate for low and slow. Grill or roast
>>>at 350F or higher. There is no colagen to break down. Slow
>>>doesn't help.

>> Leg Quarters. Q for flavor, not for tenderizing.
>>
>> But they were real tender and juicy
>>

>If you want crispy skin, just raise the temperature for the best of both.
>You need about 350 or so.

Good point. I think at the end I will next time. I'm kinda concerned
that if I do 350 the entire time, they might dry out.

What do you think?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gene wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 06:54:20 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> wrote:

>>> Leg Quarters. Q for flavor, not for tenderizing.
>>>
>>> But they were real tender and juicy
>>>

>> If you want crispy skin, just raise the temperature for the best of
>> both. You need about 350 or so.
>>

> Good point. I think at the end I will next time. I'm kinda concerned
> that if I do 350 the entire time, they might dry out.
>
> What do you think?

Nope. They are more likely to dry out with a lower temp and longer cook
time. How do you think jerky is made :-)

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Speaking of legs (and wings, thighs and breasts etc.) one of our
old-time favorites is to grill them with a baste of Carolina hot
vinegar. There's a commercial variety called Scott's that's sold
in the Carolinas, but it's just as easy to make your own with
apple cider vinegar, Texas Pete and (perhaps) some garlic. I
grill the chicken with the hood open, increasing the temp as it
cooks through to get a bit more crisp on the outside. I baste it
3-5 times, using a paint brush before and after flipping.

FWIW, you can play around with apple juice as a replacement for
the apple cider vinegar. It'll impart a slightly sweeter flavor
to the chicken. Actually, it's not that bad all by itself, but be
careful about any flare-up because it'll burn due to the natural
sugar content.

When doing chicken, I've also had some fun cold smoking the pieces
for about 40 minutes or so to get a bit more flavor. However, I
do that with COLD chicken, right from the refrigerator. It's
probably overkill, but I feel better about it.

--
Nonny

Government is the great fiction
through which everybody endeavors
to live at the expense of everybody else.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:26:49 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Gene wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 06:54:20 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
>> wrote:

>>> If you want crispy skin, just raise the temperature for the best of
>>> both. You need about 350 or so.
>>>

>> Good point. I think at the end I will next time. I'm kinda concerned
>> that if I do 350 the entire time, they might dry out.
>>
>> What do you think?

>Nope. They are more likely to dry out with a lower temp and longer cook
>time. How do you think jerky is made :-)

Good point!

Thanks!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gene wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 06:54:20 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> wrote:

>>> Leg Quarters. Q for flavor, not for tenderizing.
>>>
>>> But they were real tender and juicy
>>>

>> If you want crispy skin, just raise the temperature for the best of both.
>> You need about 350 or so.
>>

> Good point. I think at the end I will next time. I'm kinda concerned
> that if I do 350 the entire time, they might dry out.
>
> What do you think?

I don't smoke birds (my pref) I cook indirect in the kettle at about
425-450°F. The skin seals it up and it is moist and delicious.

Dave T.

Was smokin parts. Now Done. Gene Barbecue 0 15-09-2009 01:19 AM
salvege used body parts auto body parts used used corestrev General Cooking 0 26-09-2008 10:27 AM
smokin a whole pig [email protected] Barbecue 4 10-08-2007 07:11 AM
Smokin Tex Wayne Barbecue 7 08-04-2005 12:00 PM
Smokin Tex Wayne Barbecue 0 05-04-2005 10:18 PM