Barbecue (alt.food.barbecue) Discuss barbecue and grilling--southern style "low and slow" smoking of ribs, shoulders and briskets, as well as direct heat grilling of everything from burgers to salmon to vegetables.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-07-2009, 10:31 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 51
Default Pulling, pork butt -vs- picnic

Hello,

I just took a pork butt of my WSM. It's delicious!

However, it didn't pull like I expected. As a matter of fact the one I
did a couple weeks ago didn't pull as I expected either! They were both
tender, but not "falling apart" like I prefer.

I'm wondering if it's because I'm smoking a butt, rather than a picnic?

Do butts and picnics differ in their "pull-ability"?

(In all cases, I smoke till 190F or higher, internal temp.)

Thanks!

--
Better living through smoking.

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 30-07-2009, 03:20 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,851
Default Pulling, pork butt -vs- picnic


"Heavy_Smoker" wrote in message
However, it didn't pull like I expected. As a matter of fact the one I
did a couple weeks ago didn't pull as I expected either! They were both
tender, but not "falling apart" like I prefer.

I'm wondering if it's because I'm smoking a butt, rather than a picnic?

Do butts and picnics differ in their "pull-ability"?

(In all cases, I smoke till 190F or higher, internal temp.)


Usually about 190 they are falling apart. Go a little longer. Done
properly, you can't pick them up in one piece and the bone slides right out.
In fact, I know when mine are done by pulling on the bone. If it comes out,
I take the meat off with gloves and two hands. Be patient; cool longer (or
a little higher temperature)


  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 30-07-2009, 04:24 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 224
Default Pulling, pork butt -vs- picnic


On 29-Jul-2009, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Heavy_Smoker" wrote in message
However, it didn't pull like I expected. As a matter of fact the one I
did a couple weeks ago didn't pull as I expected either! They were
both
tender, but not "falling apart" like I prefer.

I'm wondering if it's because I'm smoking a butt, rather than a picnic?

Do butts and picnics differ in their "pull-ability"?

(In all cases, I smoke till 190F or higher, internal temp.)


Usually about 190 they are falling apart. Go a little longer. Done
properly, you can't pick them up in one piece and the bone slides right
out.
In fact, I know when mine are done by pulling on the bone. If it comes
out,
I take the meat off with gloves and two hands. Be patient; cool longer
(or
a little higher temperature)


What Ed said. I can't imagine a butt or a picnic for that matter not
pulling
easily at 190F. My first guess is that your therm is lying to you. A
properly
cooked butt should practically fall apart while you're getting it out of
the pit.
Something is real wrong with your estimate of when it's done.

--
Brick (Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess.
They always run out of other people's money.
Magaret Thatcher, 5 Feb 1976)
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 30-07-2009, 07:46 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 516
Default Pulling, pork butt -vs- picnic


"Brick" wrote in message
ster.com...

On 29-Jul-2009, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Heavy_Smoker" wrote in message
However, it didn't pull like I expected. As a matter of fact the one I
did a couple weeks ago didn't pull as I expected either! They were
both
tender, but not "falling apart" like I prefer.

I'm wondering if it's because I'm smoking a butt, rather than a picnic?

Do butts and picnics differ in their "pull-ability"?

(In all cases, I smoke till 190F or higher, internal temp.)


Usually about 190 they are falling apart. Go a little longer. Done
properly, you can't pick them up in one piece and the bone slides right
out.
In fact, I know when mine are done by pulling on the bone. If it comes
out,
I take the meat off with gloves and two hands. Be patient; cool longer
(or
a little higher temperature)


What Ed said. I can't imagine a butt or a picnic for that matter not
pulling
easily at 190F. My first guess is that your therm is lying to you. A
properly
cooked butt should practically fall apart while you're getting it out of
the pit.
Something is real wrong with your estimate of when it's done.

--
Brick

When the butt hits 175-80F or so have you ever wrapped the butt in foil and
then continued to 190-95F. I do this with ribs now and then. I've thought
of the same with butt or shoulder.

Ed



  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 30-07-2009, 05:10 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 260
Default Pulling, pork butt -vs- picnic

On Jul 29, 11:46*pm, "Theron" wrote:

When the butt hits 175-80F or so have you ever wrapped the butt in foil and
then continued to 190-95F. I do this with *ribs now and then. I've thought
of the same with butt or shoulder.


Why would anyone do this? What's the point?




  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-07-2009, 05:53 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 516
Default Pulling, pork butt -vs- picnic


"Duwop" wrote in message
...
On Jul 29, 11:46 pm, "Theron" wrote:

When the butt hits 175-80F or so have you ever wrapped the butt in foil
and
then continued to 190-95F. I do this with ribs now and then. I've thought
of the same with butt or shoulder.


Why would anyone do this? What's the point?


To keep the meat from drying out.





  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-07-2009, 07:20 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 48
Default Pulling, pork butt -vs- picnic

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:53:16 -0700, "Theron"
wrote:


"Duwop" wrote in message
...
On Jul 29, 11:46 pm, "Theron" wrote:

When the butt hits 175-80F or so have you ever wrapped the butt in foil
and
then continued to 190-95F. I do this with ribs now and then. I've thought
of the same with butt or shoulder.


Why would anyone do this? What's the point?


To keep the meat from drying out.

I have been doing smoked butts for years, pulling at 170 and served
sliced. Couple of weeks ago did a 17-hr low and slow to 190 and had
pulled pork. Now, it's pulled pork forever! Everybody ecstatic in
the difference.
Pulled pork rules!
Eddie




  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-07-2009, 06:02 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 260
Default Pulling, pork butt -vs- picnic

On Jul 30, 9:53*pm, "Theron" wrote:
"Duwop" wrote in message

...
On Jul 29, 11:46 pm, "Theron" wrote:

When the butt hits 175-80F or so have you ever wrapped the butt in foil
and
then continued to 190-95F. I do this with ribs now and then. I've thought
of the same with butt or shoulder.


Why would anyone do this? What's the point?

To keep the meat from drying out.


Which would be kinda pointless to do to a butt. Part of the reason
you're cooking it to 195 is to "dry" it out by rendering the fat out.
Never heard anyone complaining of a dry butt around here.

Lots of chapped ones, but no dry ones.





  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-07-2009, 09:08 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,622
Default Pulling, pork butt -vs- picnic

Theron wrote:
"Duwop" wrote in message
...
On Jul 29, 11:46 pm, "Theron" wrote:

When the butt hits 175-80F or so have you ever wrapped the butt in
foil and
then continued to 190-95F. I do this with ribs now and then. I've
thought of the same with butt or shoulder.


Why would anyone do this? What's the point?


To keep the meat from drying out.


Huh? A butt or shoulder would have to be cooked to near oblivion to make it
dry out. And while foil may trap the moisture that has escaped from meat
that is cooking, it will not keep moisture from escaping from the meat. The
foil will capture the escaped juices which will allow the meat to steam..

--
Dave
What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan


  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-07-2009, 09:16 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 260
Default Pulling, pork butt -vs- picnic

On Jul 31, 1:08*pm, "Dave Bugg" wrote:
Theron wrote:
"Duwop" wrote in message
....
On Jul 29, 11:46 pm, "Theron" wrote:


When the butt hits 175-80F or so have you ever wrapped the butt in
foil and
then continued to 190-95F. I do this with ribs now and then. I've
thought of the same with butt or shoulder.


Why would anyone do this? What's the point?


To keep the meat from drying out.


Huh? A butt or shoulder would have to be cooked to near oblivion to make it
dry out. And while foil may trap the moisture that has escaped from meat
that is cooking, it will not keep moisture from escaping from the meat. The
foil will capture the escaped juices which will allow the meat to steam..


Mmmmm, steamed butt.

Steamed and chapped butt, even better, bigger and angrier.





  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-07-2009, 10:41 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 224
Default Pulling, pork butt -vs- picnic


On 31-Jul-2009, Eddie wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:53:16 -0700, "Theron"
wrote:


"Duwop" wrote in message


...

On Jul 29, 11:46 pm, "Theron" wrote:

When the butt hits 175-80F or so have you ever wrapped the butt in
foil
and
then continued to 190-95F. I do this with ribs now and then. I've
thought
of the same with butt or shoulder.


Why would anyone do this? What's the point?


To keep the meat from drying out.

I have been doing smoked butts for years, pulling at 170 and served
sliced. Couple of weeks ago did a 17-hr low and slow to 190 and had
pulled pork. Now, it's pulled pork forever! Everybody ecstatic in
the difference.
Pulled pork rules!
Eddie


Not that I disagree Eddie, but why did it take you years to try a low and
slow pulled pork version? I wouldn't go so far as to say that pulled pork
is better, but it certainly is different. I keep pullable pork on hand most
of
the time, but I do like a thin sliced lean pork sandwich with lots of
horse-
radish now and then as well.

As to Theron wrapping butts and or ribs in foil at 170 to keep them
moist, I have to state that I've never seen a need to do that. I often foil
them and keep in a holding box after they are completely done though.

--
Brick (Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess.
They always run out of other people's money.
Magaret Thatcher, 5 Feb 1976)
  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 01-08-2009, 07:33 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 51
Default Pulling, pork butt -vs- picnic

Duwop said

On Jul 29, 11:46*pm, "Theron" wrote:

When the butt hits 175-80F or so have you ever wrapped the butt in
foil a

nd
then continued to 190-95F. I do this with *ribs now and then. I've
thou

ght
of the same with butt or shoulder.


Why would anyone do this? What's the point?



Thanks for all the help!

I'm starting to think my Polder is not providing the proper temperature.
I think I'll try a couple thermometers and see if they agree.

Smoke on!

--
Better living through smoking.
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 01-08-2009, 11:13 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 21
Default Pulling, pork butt -vs- picnic

Heavy_Smoker wrote:

Thanks for all the help!

I'm starting to think my Polder is not providing the proper temperature.
I think I'll try a couple thermometers and see if they agree.

Smoke on!



I found that if I move my probe from one place to another, the temp will
vary as much as 7 degrees! Therefore, if I don't like what my Polder is
telling me, I just move the probe 'til I get the number I want. Works
every time.

Dave T
(Nick, you're too salty for me... I'm only 2059867)
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 01-08-2009, 11:48 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,296
Default Pulling, pork butt -vs- picnic

"Dave T." wrote:
Heavy_Smoker wrote:

Thanks for all the help!

I'm starting to think my Polder is not providing the proper
temperature. I think I'll try a couple thermometers and see if they
agree.

Smoke on!


I found that if I move my probe from one place to another, the temp will
vary as much as 7 degrees! Therefore, if I don't like what my Polder is
telling me, I just move the probe 'til I get the number I want. Works
every time.

Dave T
(Nick, you're too salty for me... I'm only 2059867)


Dave, you precede the date (whenever it was) where they started using SSN
as s/n. ;-)

Thanks for your service, Jarhead!

--
Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 02-08-2009, 12:15 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 51
Default Pulling, pork butt -vs- picnic

Dave T. said

Heavy_Smoker wrote:

I'm starting to think my Polder is not providing the proper
temperature. I think I'll try a couple thermometers and see if they
agree.


I found that if I move my probe from one place to another, the temp
will vary as much as 7 degrees! Therefore, if I don't like what my
Polder is telling me, I just move the probe 'til I get the number I
want. Works every time.


My wife suggested I "just cook it till it falls apart". It's difficult
to argue with that logic.

Reminds me of another A.F.B poster who always said:
"It's done when it's done".

BTW, we are still eating the hell of of the pork - and lovin it!

--
Better living through smoking.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boston Butt vs Picnic Barry Barbecue 22 07-02-2010 09:37 PM
How can you tell a picnic from a butt? Paulbill Barbecue 26 25-10-2005 09:52 PM
butt vs picnic bc Barbecue 3 22-08-2005 02:18 AM
Claws for Pulling Pork Rick B Barbecue 6 16-08-2004 12:31 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017