Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Pulling, pork butt -vs- picnic

"Heavy_Smoker" > wrote in message >
> However, it didn't pull like I expected. As a matter of fact the one I
> did a couple weeks ago didn't pull as I expected either! They were both
> tender, but not "falling apart" like I prefer.
>
> I'm wondering if it's because I'm smoking a butt, rather than a picnic?
>
> Do butts and picnics differ in their "pull-ability"?
>
> (In all cases, I smoke till 190F or higher, internal temp.)

Usually about 190 they are falling apart. Go a little longer. Done
properly, you can't pick them up in one piece and the bone slides right out.
In fact, I know when mine are done by pulling on the bone. If it comes out,
I take the meat off with gloves and two hands. Be patient; cool longer (or
a little higher temperature)