Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default BBQ brisket internal temp

ok, probably going to restart some big argument here, but what internal temp
should I shoot for when smoking brisket. I will cook at about 250 degrees
for as long as it takes (12-14 hours I think was my last one). My first I
went to 160 internal, but that seemed a bit tough. My notes are not clear on
the next attempt, but I recall wanting to go to a higher internal temp, and
the result was better. I use a dry rub, and none of this wrapping or
putting into an oven or thermos stuff.

thanks.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gil Faver wrote:
> ok, probably going to restart some big argument here, but what internal temp
> should I shoot for when smoking brisket. I will cook at about 250 degrees
> for as long as it takes (12-14 hours I think was my last one). My first I
> went to 160 internal, but that seemed a bit tough. My notes are not clear on
> the next attempt, but I recall wanting to go to a higher internal temp, and
> the result was better. I use a dry rub, and none of this wrapping or
> putting into an oven or thermos stuff.

I am of the opinion that it's done when it's done, as measured by the resistance
to probe insertion, not the reading on the thermometer. When it glides right in
it's done, period.

Next time, though, I'm going to try foiling just the tip of the flat, which
tends to dry out.

GWE
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gil Faver" > wrote in message
> ok, probably going to restart some big argument here, but what internal
> temp should I shoot for when smoking brisket. I will cook at about 250
> degrees for as long as it takes (12-14 hours I think was my last one). My
> first I went to 160 internal, but that seemed a bit tough. My notes are
> not clear on the next attempt, but I recall wanting to go to a higher
> internal temp, and the result was better. I use a dry rub, and none of
> this wrapping or putting into an oven or thermos stuff.
>
> thanks.

Between 190° and 200°
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 8, 4:25*pm, "Big Jim" > wrote:
> "Gil Faver" > wrote in message
>> *I use a dry rub, and none of
> > this wrapping or putting into an oven or thermos stuff.

Good for you! I personally never even heard of foiling anything
except vegetables until I started reading about barbecue a few years
ago. If I want meat braised or steamed I usually put it in the oven
like a roast.

> * Between 190 and 200

Always my target point!

I try to pull at 195, it will creep up 5,6,7 degrees, then start to
slowly cool. It takes me about thirty to forty minutes to get out all
the sides and round up the eaters, get fresh beverages, etc. That
seems to be about the right amount of cooling time every time.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-Apr-2009, " > wrote:

> On Apr 8, 4:25*pm, "Big Jim" > wrote:
> > "Gil Faver" > wrote in message
> >> *I use a dry rub, and none of
> > > this wrapping or putting into an oven or thermos stuff.

> Good for you! I personally never even heard of foiling anything
> except vegetables until I started reading about barbecue a few years
> ago. If I want meat braised or steamed I usually put it in the oven
> like a roast.
>
> > * Between 190 and 200

> Always my target point!
>
> I try to pull at 195, it will creep up 5,6,7 degrees, then start to
> slowly cool. It takes me about thirty to forty minutes to get out all
> the sides and round up the eaters, get fresh beverages, etc. That
> seems to be about the right amount of cooling time every time.
>
> Robert

Dang me, I got off track somehow. Agreed about 190 to 200°F. I
got to thinking about smoking corned beef to make pastrami. Haven't
done that. Are the same numbers appropriate?

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gil Faver wrote:

> ok, probably going to restart some big argument here, but what internal temp
> should I shoot for when smoking brisket. I will cook at about 250 degrees
> for as long as it takes (12-14 hours I think was my last one). My first I
> went to 160 internal, but that seemed a bit tough. My notes are not clear on
> the next attempt, but I recall wanting to go to a higher internal temp, and
> the result was better. I use a dry rub, and none of this wrapping or
> putting into an oven or thermos stuff.
>
> thanks.

It's generally done when the internal temp climbs past 190. It tends to
hold at 190 for some time while the collagen breaks down, once it climbs
again it should be done.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gil Faver > wrote:

> ok, probably going to restart some big argument here, but what internal temp
> should I shoot for when smoking brisket.

268-270 in the flat, 285-290 in the point. **** whatever
everybody else says!

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message

> Dang me, I got off track somehow. Agreed about 190 to 200°F. I
> got to thinking about smoking corned beef to make pastrami. Haven't
> done that. Are the same numbers appropriate?

Yep, works for me. If you have a real deli slicer and can near shave the
meat you can go less.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> Gil Faver > wrote:
>
>> ok, probably going to restart some big argument here, but what internal temp
>> should I shoot for when smoking brisket.

> 268-270 in the flat, 285-290 in the point. **** whatever
> everybody else says!

I should have noted that I only cook one piece at a time Point + flat
part underneath it, or just the flat.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 9, 7:32*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> > Gil Faver > wrote:

> >> ok, probably going to restart some big argument here, but what internal temp
> >> should I shoot for when smoking brisket.

> > 268-270 in the flat, 285-290 in the point. ***** whatever
> > everybody else says!

> I should have noted that I only cook one piece at a time *Point + flat
> part underneath it, or just the flat.
>
> -sw

Is that mainly because of the size of your cooker, or because they
cook at different rates?

Wonder how common is it to cook them separately?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Duwop wrote:
> On Apr 9, 7:32 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>> 268-270 in the flat, 285-290 in the point. **** whatever
>>> everybody else says!

>> I should have noted that I only cook one piece at a time Point + flat
>> part underneath it, or just the flat.
>>
>> -sw

> Is that mainly because of the size of your cooker, or because they
> cook at different rates?
>
> Wonder how common is it to cook them separately?

Both. I've done both pieces at the same time on the ECB. The point goes
on the top rack, flat on bottom rack. Point cooks hotter and drips on
flat. It works out well. Sometimes I'll just do the point and make
hamburger out of large flat portion.

-sw

-zsw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 8, 5:58*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> Gil Faver > wrote:
> > ok, probably going to restart some big argument here, but what internal temp
> > should I shoot for when smoking brisket.

> 268-270 in the flat, 285-290 in the point. ***** whatever
> everybody else says!
>
> -sw

Don't you mean 168-170 / 185 - 190 ?

Aloha,

Nate Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nate Lau wrote:
> On Apr 8, 5:58 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> Gil Faver > wrote:
>>> ok, probably going to restart some big argument here, but what internal temp
>>> should I shoot for when smoking brisket.

>> 268-270 in the flat, 285-290 in the point. **** whatever
>> everybody else says!
>>
>> -sw

> Don't you mean 168-170 / 185 - 190 ?

Uhh, yeah. Duh. I guess everybody thought I was being a wiseass, but
yeah - subtract 100. from that.

-sw (The Brisket Expert!)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Nate Lau wrote:
>>> 268-270 in the flat, 285-290 in the point. **** whatever
>>> everybody else says!
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Don't you mean 168-170 / 185 - 190 ?

> Uhh, yeah. Duh. I guess everybody thought I was being a wiseass, but
> yeah - subtract 100. from that.

I never take cooking advice from a man who designs shitters.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
>> Uhh, yeah. Duh. I guess everybody thought I was being a wiseass, but
>> yeah - subtract 100. from that.

> I never take cooking advice from a man who designs shitters.

I design ADA accessible public bathrooms. Somebody else designs the
shitters; I think his name is Eljer the Elder.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> TFM® > wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Uhh, yeah. Duh. I guess everybody thought I was being a wiseass, but
>>> yeah - subtract 100. from that.

>> I never take cooking advice from a man who designs shitters.

> I design ADA accessible public bathrooms. Somebody else designs the
> shitters; I think his name is Eljer the Elder.

Ok, you're the resident expert. Why are they called bathrooms or restrooms?
I don't bathe or rest in there. I simply **** or shit.

They should be called Shitter****ers.

Water Closet is another silly one.

Looking forward to enlightenment,
TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® > wrote:

> Ok, you're the resident expert. Why are they called bathrooms or restrooms?
> I don't bathe or rest in there. I simply **** or shit.

Bathrooms are in residences and hotels. Restrooms are in public
places (but not necessarily on public property). Water Closets,
lavatories, and washrooms are just some sossy terms leftover from
the old days.

"Water Closets" and "Lavatories" are popular terms in
architecture/drafting for some reason. Not sure why. I never heard
of a "water closet" until I started this new profession. To me that
would be a shower stall <shrug>. And I never knew a lavatory was
more often referring to just the sink.

-sw (I Know My Shitters (tm))
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> TFM® > wrote:
>
>> Ok, you're the resident expert. Why are they called bathrooms or
>> restrooms?
>> I don't bathe or rest in there. I simply **** or shit.

> Bathrooms are in residences and hotels. Restrooms are in public
> places (but not necessarily on public property). Water Closets,
> lavatories, and washrooms are just some sossy terms leftover from
> the old days.
>
> "Water Closets" and "Lavatories" are popular terms in
> architecture/drafting for some reason. Not sure why. I never heard
> of a "water closet" until I started this new profession. To me that
> would be a shower stall <shrug>. And I never knew a lavatory was
> more often referring to just the sink.

The lavatory referring to the sink makes sense when you go to the Latin
origins. I don't know Latin, but I know Spanish which is a derivative.
Lavar is the verb, "to wash".
Lava is a command.

Lava sus manos means "wash your hands".

The lavatory would be a place of washing.

Now for a bit of humor. I frequently stop into a local store's lavatory
while working to use their facilities.
The sign on the mirror over the sink says, "Employees must wash your hands
before returning to work."

I've stood at the door and hollered but nobody ever came.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® > wrote:

> The sign on the mirror over the sink says, "Employees must wash your hands
> before returning to work."
>
> I've stood at the door and hollered but nobody ever came.

How about, "Employees must wipe your ass before washing your hands".

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> TFM® > wrote:
>
>> Ok, you're the resident expert. Why are they called bathrooms or restrooms?
>> I don't bathe or rest in there. I simply **** or shit.

> Bathrooms are in residences and hotels. Restrooms are in public
> places (but not necessarily on public property). Water Closets,
> lavatories, and washrooms are just some sossy terms leftover from
> the old days.
>
> "Water Closets" and "Lavatories" are popular terms in
> architecture/drafting for some reason. Not sure why. I never heard
> of a "water closet" until I started this new profession. To me that
> would be a shower stall <shrug>. And I never knew a lavatory was
> more often referring to just the sink.
>
> -sw (I Know My Shitters (tm))

"Water Closet " was (is) a brand name of commode. The original term
comes from England, and referred to any small room containing a commode,
and , possibly a lavatory.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-Apr-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:

> TFM® > wrote:
>
> > Ok, you're the resident expert. Why are they called bathrooms or
> > restrooms?
> > I don't bathe or rest in there. I simply **** or shit.

> Bathrooms are in residences and hotels. Restrooms are in public
> places (but not necessarily on public property). Water Closets,
> lavatories, and washrooms are just some sossy terms leftover from
> the old days.
>
> "Water Closets" and "Lavatories" are popular terms in
> architecture/drafting for some reason. Not sure why. I never heard
> of a "water closet" until I started this new profession. To me that
> would be a shower stall <shrug>. And I never knew a lavatory was
> more often referring to just the sink.
>
> -sw (I Know My Shitters (tm))

And that isn't the end-all. In the plumbing business, every technician
has to carry a 'Closet Auger' which is just a small sized roto-rooter
type tool to clean out toilet drains directly through the bowl. I don't
think there is a 'lavatory auger' or a 'shower auger'.

--
Brick WA7ERO (On Topic referring to food disposal)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

> And that isn't the end-all. In the plumbing business, every technician
> has to carry a 'Closet Auger' which is just a small sized roto-rooter
> type tool to clean out toilet drains directly through the bowl. I don't
> think there is a 'lavatory auger' or a 'shower auger'.

In a pinch, an electrician's fish tape works fine to snag disposed-of
underwear, feminine items and other things idiots think will just go on
down the tube. I was the building electrician at a married student
housing high rise, working my way through college, and made the
unfortunate mistake of mentioning I'd also done a lot of plumbing work.
Suddenly, I was "the man" to call upon when one of the public or
apartment toilets became plugged. It was extra money, but damn. . .
what a nasty thing to have to do. That was in the days when we didn't
use gloves and I had to use the same fish tape the next morning to pull
wire.

--
Nonny
If you think health care is expensive now,

- P.J. O'Rourke
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> TFM® > wrote:
>
>> The sign on the mirror over the sink says, "Employees must wash your hands
>> before returning to work."
>>
>> I've stood at the door and hollered but nobody ever came.

> How about, "Employees must wipe your ass before washing your hands".
>
> -sw

Reminds me of one of DH's favorite jokes.

A fellow was traveling in the Middle East and had to use the facility to
poop. He looked around for the toilet paper, but there was none. There
was, however, a sign that said: "use your hand instead of paper. When
you are finished, stick it in the slot on your right and your hand will
be licked clean by human lips." The guy figured this was something to
do with the local culture, so he wiped his behind and stuck his hand in
the little slot in the partition. Immediately something hard and heavy
whacked his hand. Wow! that hurt! He pulled his hand back and stuck it
in his mouth.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> In . com,
> TFM® > typed:
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>> TFM® > wrote:
>>>

>> Now for a bit of humor. I frequently stop into a local store's
>> lavatory while working to use their facilities.
>> The sign on the mirror over the sink says, "Employees must wash your
>> hands before returning to work."
>>
>> I've stood at the door and hollered but nobody ever came.
>>
>> TFM®

> You probably do a lot of damage to those paper hand towel roll dispensers
> with the sign that says "Pull down - Tear up."

Hey, I'm just following instructions.
The worst is when I'm on a trip and I see the signs that say, "Clean
restrooms next exit". It takes forever to get anywhere that way.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message

> On 8-Apr-2009, " > wrote:

>> Good for you! I personally never even heard of foiling anything
>> except vegetables until I started reading about barbecue a few years
>> ago. If I want meat braised or steamed I usually put it in the oven
>> like a roast.
>>
>> > Between 190 and 200

>> Always my target point!
>>
>> I try to pull at 195, it will creep up 5,6,7 degrees, then start to
>> slowly cool. It takes me about thirty to forty minutes to get out all
>> the sides and round up the eaters, get fresh beverages, etc. That
>> seems to be about the right amount of cooling time every time.
>>
>> Robert

> Dang me, I got off track somehow. Agreed about 190 to 200°F. I
> got to thinking about smoking corned beef to make pastrami. Haven't
> done that. Are the same numbers appropriate?
>
> --
> Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)

Unless you want pulled Pastrami there is no need to bring pastrami up to
those temps.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, IIRC 160 should be good

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 11-Apr-2009, =?Windows-1252?B?VEZNrg==?= >
wrote:

> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> > In . com,
> > TFM® > typed:
> >>>

> >> Now for a bit of humor. I frequently stop into a local store's
> >> lavatory while working to use their facilities.
> >> The sign on the mirror over the sink says, "Employees must wash your
> >> hands before returning to work."
> >>
> >> I've stood at the door and hollered but nobody ever came.
> >>
> >> TFM®

> > You probably do a lot of damage to those paper hand towel roll
> > dispensers
> > with the sign that says "Pull down - Tear up."

> Hey, I'm just following instructions.
> The worst is when I'm on a trip and I see the signs that say, "Clean
> restrooms next exit". It takes forever to get anywhere that way.
>
> TFM®

Enough already. I choked on my drink and stomped on the cat. She
clawed the shit out of my foot and I wasted thirty minutes trying to
find enough usable bandaids in a bunch made in 1989. While that
was going on, the asparagus I had simmering on the stove dried
up and burnt all to hell and gone. I'm going to sue TFM® for mental
anguish just as soon as I can find a lawyer that will take the case for
$20 down and $20/Mo.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 11-Apr-2009, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> In
> ,
> Duwop > typed:

> >> I should have noted that I only cook one piece at a time Point + flat
> >> part underneath it, or just the flat.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > Is that mainly because of the size of your cooker, or because they
> > cook at different rates?
> >
> > Wonder how common is it to cook them separately?

> It's not that uncommon.
>
> There's more fat and collagen in the point so it takes longer to render
> it
> out. If you let the point cook yet a little longer after it's rendered at
> higher temp to crisp it up on the outside and then cube it up you have
> classic burnt ends. Not too high, not too long, you'll know when it's
> right.
>
> MartyB in KC

Just a small adlib here. If you happen to be cooking with an offset
smoker like I am, then you can place the point end closer to the
firebox where it's hotter and you don't really have to separate the
point from the flat. I generally utilize the attributes of my offset
and cook briskets whole. I peek after about two hours into the
cook and adjust the position of the meat "if necessary". Maybe
a "Newbie" should cook them separately to stay on the safe
side. After six years, I pretty much know what my pit is going to
do.
--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 11, 5:01*pm, "Brick" > wrote:
> On 11-Apr-2009, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
>

> > In
> ,
> > Duwop > typed:

> > > Is that mainly because of the size of your cooker, or because they
> > > cook at different rates?

> > > Wonder how common is it to cook them separately?

> > It's not that uncommon.

> > There's more fat and collagen in the point so it takes longer to render
> > it
> > out. If you let the point cook yet a little longer after it's rendered at
> > higher temp to crisp it up on the outside and then cube it up you have
> > classic burnt ends. Not too high, not too long, you'll know when it's
> > right.

> > MartyB in KC

> Just a small adlib here. If you happen to be cooking with an offset
> smoker like I am, then you can place the point end closer to the
> firebox where it's hotter and you don't really have to separate the
> point from the flat. I generally utilize the attributes of my offset
> and cook briskets whole. I peek after about two hours into the
> cook and adjust the position of the meat "if necessary". Maybe
> a "Newbie" should cook them separately to stay on the safe
> side. After six years, I pretty much know what my pit is going to
> do.
> --
> Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)- Hide quoted text -

Ahh, thanks to both of youse. SWMBO was in Texas last year and got a
taste for Brisket, go figger eh? So gonna try one again. This is a
very good tip as I've found a good source for a whole brisket locally.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 12, 12:06*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> It's amazing how often I hear people referring to all sorts of other meat
> from other places as burnt ends, as if it refers to the edge of any meat
> that stayed too close to the heat for too long.

Burns your butt doesn't it?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" Sometimes if the flat seems ready I pull off the brisket and let it rest a
bit, then separate the point, (and maybe baste with Lea and Perrins and
melted butter and juice runoff from the brisket) and put it back in for a
while."

Unnecessary. Wet mopping or basting a brisket is criminal IMHO.

Use a good dry rub and keep the temp twixt 260-275 and you are golden.
Unless you are using something other than an offset smoker.

If so, why even bother with BBQ?

My two cents.

Da b

On 4/12/09 3:06 PM, in article ,
"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> Sometimes if the flat seems ready I pull off the brisket and let it rest a
> bit, then separate the point, (and maybe baste with Lea and Perrins and
> melted butter and juice runoff from the brisket) and put it back in for a
> while.

PING Chemo the Clown Internal Temp of Pork Loin nurk_fred2000 General Cooking 0 10-07-2011 09:22 PM
internal temp? suzette Baking 6 02-03-2006 01:31 AM
Internal Temperature of Brisket alan General Cooking 7 23-11-2005 10:38 PM
Smoked fish internal temp Darek Fisk Barbecue 26 07-09-2005 12:06 AM
Brisket flat not tender after 6.5 hrs, internal temp 205 TT Barbecue 8 02-07-2005 03:00 AM