Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default burner shields

I'm about to buy a new gas bbq (as new as I am to this method of
cooking), and I noticed that on the model Consumer Reports recommends,
there are shields over the three tube burners. I can see how this
would cut down on flareups, but isn't it desirable to expose the meats
being cooked to naked flame? TIA.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

XX,
If you are cooking over charcoal or wood, the coal/wood gives the meat a
flavor (oak, mesquite, alder, etc.). Cooking over a gas flame does not
give the food any particular flavor, except maybe the stink they put in
gas so you know there is a leak. The purpose of the shield over the
burner is to make the drippings from the meat vaporize and slap the meat
to have some sort of taste.

Ray
===

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 27, 9:25*pm, xxffxx > wrote:
> I'm about to buy a new gas bbq (as new as I am to this method of
> cooking), and I noticed that on the model Consumer Reports recommends,
> there are shields over the three tube burners. *I can see how this
> would cut down on flareups, but isn't it desirable to expose the meats
> being cooked to naked flame? *TIA.

If you want to do this for real and not just take your indoor stovetop
outside to grill, take a harder look at charcoal grills.

If you want to BBQ, then you'll need to buy something else that's NOT
a gas/propane grill and not even a charcoal grill, cuz you don't grill
BBQ.

HTH
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 28, 4:05*pm, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 10:18:50 -0700 (PDT), Tutall >
> wrote:
>
> >On Jun 27, 9:25*pm, xxffxx > wrote:

> >If you want to do this for real and not just take your indoor stovetop
> >outside to grill, take a harder look at charcoal grills.

> >If you want to BBQ, then you'll need to buy something else that's NOT
> >a gas/propane grill and not even a charcoal grill, cuz you don't grill
> >BBQ.

> And if he wants to both grill and cook barbecue, he might look at the
> Char-Griller Duo.

Good point, a good price point, a great grill and decent for BBQ.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 28, 8:33*pm, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:52:13 -0700 (PDT), Tutall >
> wrote:
>

> >On Jun 28, 4:05*pm, Denny Wheeler
> > wrote:

> >> And if he wants to both grill and cook barbecue, he might look at the
> >> Char-Griller Duo.

> >Good point, a good price point, a great grill and decent for BBQ.

> I've been kinda thinking about getting me one. *I suspect that the Q
> side might benefit from some mods of the same general type as often
> done on the low-end offsets.

Yep, what it really needs is more mass, if you're willing to load the
bricks in for Q only that could work, otherwise the bricks would
impede it's use as a grill. It was the best grill I'd ever owned up to
that point, I'll never own a grill that's not that style again.

> I know I've seen this model around here, but can't find it on any
> helpful website. *(helpful meaning someplace I'd go to do hands-on
> look)

Home Depot used to carry them. Don't know about now.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 29, 4:11*pm, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

> So presumably you didn't use the gas side?

Oh, there's a gas one now? I presumed it was the same Chargriller I
had, I knew they'd updated it some, firebox mods mostly, but didn't
know about a gas one.

How's that saying about assuming go again....................?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in
message ...
> On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:33:47 -0700 (PDT), Tutall
> >
> wrote:
>
>>On Jun 29, 4:11 pm, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:
>>
>>> So presumably you didn't use the gas side?
>>>

>>Oh, there's a gas one now? I presumed it was the same Chargriller
>>had, I knew they'd updated it some, firebox mods mostly, but
>>didn't
>>know about a gas one.
>>
>>How's that saying about assuming go again....................?

> <g> Yeah, I know that one.
>
> Yes, the current Duo is 1/2 gas grill, 1/2 offset (offset firebox
> is
> optional) charcoal smoker/grill.

Here is a video of the Chargriller Mods..

http://bigironbarbecue.wordpress.com...as-grill-mods/

if that one wraps...

http://tinyurl.com/497dfc

and the Duo PDF

http://www.chargriller.com/pdf/duo_manual.pdf

and the Side fire box for smoking!

http://www.chargriller.com/pdf/side-fire-box-manual.pdf

I think I saw someone ask about it in this thread. 3 months of
grilling and smoking and still very pleased with the performance and
versatility of the Duo. The mods did improve its performance
though.

Joseph

> --
>
> "Every single religion that has a monotheistic god
> winds up persecuting someone else."
> -Philip Pullman
>
> -denny-
> (not as curmudgeonly as I useta be)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> And if he wants to both grill and cook barbecue, he might look at the
> Char-Griller Duo.
>
> --
>
> "Every single religion that has a monotheistic god
> winds up persecuting someone else."
> -Philip Pullman
>
> -denny-
> (not as curmudgeonly as I useta be)

I recommended one of them to a friend a couple of months ago and he is real
proud of it. if i did not already liver in webber land i would probably
pick one of them up.

--
Tommy Lee

Which is better Beefeater Discovery 4 burner or Vermont Castings Sig.Series 4 burner? sudburymom Barbecue 0 20-04-2008 09:40 PM
Pie Shields Scott O Baking 12 10-08-2006 07:38 AM
4 burner vs. 5 burner range? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 7 13-08-2005 04:07 PM
Gas burner. Bill Wright Barbecue 5 08-06-2005 05:49 PM
48" DCS Range: 5 burner/26K BTU gridlle or 6 burner/18K BTU griddle Doug Ventura Cooking Equipment 1 13-09-2004 08:01 PM