Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Pie Shields

Does anyone know where I can find pie shields for smaller pie pans? I have
the adjustable kind, but I can't seem to find any small enough for the pot
pie sized pans.

Thanks.

Scott

Posted to rec.food.baking

If you can't find any, you could just wrap strips of aluminum foil around
the edge of the crust.

"Scott O" > wrote in message
.net...
> Does anyone know where I can find pie shields for smaller pie pans? I

have
> the adjustable kind, but I can't seem to find any small enough for the pot
> pie sized pans.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

Posted to rec.food.baking

make them out of foil. simple.. cheap..

Scott O wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can find pie shields for smaller pie pans? I have
> the adjustable kind, but I can't seem to find any small enough for the pot
> pie sized pans.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

Posted to rec.food.baking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 29 Jul 2006 04:26:35p, Scott O meant to say...

> Does anyone know where I can find pie shields for smaller pie pans? I
> have the adjustable kind, but I can't seem to find any small enough for
> the pot pie sized pans.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

I don't think they exist. I really like using pie shields, but you'll
probably have to use foil for the small ones.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Don't stop posting, a good laugh breaks up my day
nicely

Posted to rec.food.baking

In article <Lqbzg.6487$c11.4082@trnddc08>, dizzi > wrote:
= If you can't find any, you could just wrap strips of aluminum foil around
= the edge of the crust.
=
=
= "Scott O" > wrote in message
= .net...
= > Does anyone know where I can find pie shields for smaller pie pans? I
= > have the adjustable kind, but I can't seem to find any small enough
= > for the pot pie sized pans.

I once improvised a pie shield by placing a sheet of foil over a
cake pan slightly larger than my pie pan and then using a second
cake pan to form the foil to the other. I.e. sandwich the foil
between the two cake pans and press hard enough to nest the two
cake pans with the foil between. Then trim off the excess foil
before you remove the cake pans. Once the foil impression of the
cake pan(s) has been separated from the pans, cut out the center
to the size opening that's appropriate. ("Heavy duty" foil works
best.)

I had previously tried to improvise using strips of foil but that
arrangement was pretty flimsy and hard to work with. The approach
with the cake pans (any kind of pans that are the right size and
have near vertical sides will work) was much sturdier and a better
fit. Indeed, I still have one of them.

Another possibility if you have time for a run to the supermarket
is to see if they have one of those disposable aluminum foil baking
pans that is slightly larger than the pan you're using for your pot
pies. They're made of quite heavy foil and should work nicely.
Just trim the height to slightly less than that of your pot-pie
pan, cut out the center, and there you are...

--
Charlie Sorsby

Edgewood, NM 87015
USA

Posted to rec.food.baking

Another easy way to make a foil shield is to take a square of foil about 2
inches larger than your pie pan diameter and cut a circle in the middle
slightly smaller than the pie pan perimeter. Place the square of foil (now
with a large circle cut into the middle) over your pie and loosely crumple
the edges to secure. I find this method much easier than wrapping foil
around the edges, plus it keeps the pie crust crimps nice and neat. Good
luck.

"Scott O" > wrote in message
.net...
> Does anyone know where I can find pie shields for smaller pie pans? I
> have the adjustable kind, but I can't seem to find any small enough for
> the pot pie sized pans.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

Posted to rec.food.baking
Jke Jke is offline

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> schreef in bericht
28.19...
> Oh pshaw, on Sat 29 Jul 2006 04:26:35p, Scott O meant to say...
>
>> Does anyone know where I can find pie shields for smaller pie pans? I
>> have the adjustable kind, but I can't seem to find any small enough for
>> the pot pie sized pans.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Scott

> I don't think they exist. I really like using pie shields, but you'll
> probably have to use foil for the small ones.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> Don't stop posting, a good laugh breaks up my day
> nicely

I don't have the original post, so I'll tag on here. I looked up what a pie
shield was (had never heard of them) and came across an adjustable one:

http://discount-household-merchandis...e.com/598.html

It says it will it pots up to 10" diameter.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Oh pshaw, On Wed 02 Aug 2006 01:24:25p, Jke was muttering about...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> 28.19...
>> Oh pshaw, on Sat 29 Jul 2006 04:26:35p, Scott O meant to say...
>>
>>> Does anyone know where I can find pie shields for smaller pie pans? I
>>> have the adjustable kind, but I can't seem to find any small enough
>>> for the pot pie sized pans.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Scott

>> I don't think they exist. I really like using pie shields, but you'll
>> probably have to use foil for the small ones.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> Don't stop posting, a good laugh breaks up my day nicely

> I don't have the original post, so I'll tag on here. I looked up what a
> pie shield was (had never heard of them) and came across an adjustable
> one:
>
> http://discount-household-merchandis...e.com/598.html
>
> It says it will it pots up to 10" diameter.

It might be worth a try, but I think these work best on 8-10" pies. Not
sure how well they would work on a pot pie that is probably only 5" across.

--

Wayne Boatwright

I often wonder ...
What do people mean when they say the computer went down on me?

Posted to rec.food.baking

I know I can make them out of foil, but it is a pain. I can't believe that
no one manufactures these.

Too crazy.

Scott

"Scott O" > wrote in message
.net...
> Does anyone know where I can find pie shields for smaller pie pans? I
> have the adjustable kind, but I can't seem to find any small enough for
> the pot pie sized pans.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

Posted to rec.food.baking

Scott O wrote:
> I know I can make them out of foil, but it is a pain. I can't believe that
> no one manufactures these.
>
> Too crazy.
>
> Scott

You can get them from bakers catalogue, http://www.bakerscatalogue.com/.
I bought a set for my Mom last year upon her request. -G

--
Information Security is a TEAM effort ... it's everyone's responsibility!

Sincerely,

Mr. G D Geen
Texas Instruments, Incorporated
IT Security
http://itsecurity.ti.com
214-567-5219

Posted to rec.food.baking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 03 Aug 2006 08:29:47a, Mr. G. D. Geen meant to say...

> Scott O wrote:
>> I know I can make them out of foil, but it is a pain. I can't believe
>> that no one manufactures these.
>>
>> Too crazy.
>>
>> Scott
>>

> You can get them from bakers catalogue, http://www.bakerscatalogue.com/.
> I bought a set for my Mom last year upon her request. -G

The problem is, this one (and all others I've seen) is for a 9" pie and he
wants one to fit an individual pot pie, probably 5-6".

--
Wayne Boatwright

Did someone say fish? I haven't been fed all day.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Scott O wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can find pie shields for smaller pie pans? I have
> the adjustable kind, but I can't seem to find any small enough for the pot
> pie sized pans.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

Hey Scott,
years ago my mother-in-law took me to Penny's and we bought Pie Tape...
looks like crepe streamers. You wet the strip, wrap around the pie
and cut off excess. It worked like a charm. When I ran out I used
paper bag cut into strips which worked just like the pie tape. I tried
to find it again and haven't found it. I'm still looking.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 09 Aug 2006 09:42:05a, chiquita meant to say...

> Scott O wrote:
>> Does anyone know where I can find pie shields for smaller pie pans? I
>> have the adjustable kind, but I can't seem to find any small enough for
>> the pot pie sized pans.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Scott

> Hey Scott,
> years ago my mother-in-law took me to Penny's and we bought Pie Tape...
> looks like crepe streamers. You wet the strip, wrap around the pie
> and cut off excess. It worked like a charm. When I ran out I used
> paper bag cut into strips which worked just like the pie tape. I tried
> to find it again and haven't found it. I'm still looking.

You can find it here...scroll down the page.

--
Wayne Boatwright

These shoes look like Frankenstein's hand-me-downs.