Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default As promised, the evaluation of this weekends spare ribs experiment.

As promised, the evaluation of this weekends spare ribs experiment.

Photo’s on my home server, so it might be a bit slow
http://creativeimpulse.xs4all.nl/photo/
username bbq_user
password bbq_user
I will keep the photo’s there for about a week

saturday,
Picked up the spare ribs from the local butcher. He did not cut them
yet because he did not know how much meat I wanted on the ribs. The
ribs he had where whiteout the loin part, al the way down to the
sternum (sternum itself was not there, but still a tine bit cartilage
connected tot the end of the ribs. I took the whole part, which he cut
in two pieces (length of the ribs, about 10 to 15 cm). total weight, 2
kg.

sunday
at home, I cut of some fat so I had 1700 gr left.
I carefully read all your advise from my last post. Since I used fresh
garlic, a dry rub seemed difficult. Some suggested mustard as some
kind of glue. I decided to ad olive oil to make a paste out of the
ingredients.
Paste:
1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons paprika powder
6 pieces of garlic (picture showing only 5)
olive oil to make a paste

put the paste on the ribs, and left it for one hour in plastic foil.
Did not put it back in the fridge to let the meat come to room
temperature

my smoker uses wood only. Target temperature in the cooker 100 to 120
C.
for the meat temperature, I had no Idea. I went for the wiggle and
pull rib to check if the meat is done. I started at 13:00 expecting a
smoking time of 4 to 6 hours I did stick a digital thermometer in the
meat to check the readings without opening the lid (remembering your
warnings about peeking)
cooker temp
13:00 100
13:15 100
13:30 110
13:45 110
14:00 110
14:15 120
14:30 100
14:45 140
15:00 125
15:15 110
15:30 100
15:45 110
16:00 120
16:15 100
16:30 130
16:45 120
17:00 140
17:15 140
17:30 130
17:45 120
18:00 100
18:15 100
18:30 100

Time Meat int.
13:00 15
13:15 20
13:30 42
13:45 50
14:00 57
14:15 61
14:30 65
14:45 66
15:00 71
15:15 72
15:30 70
15:45 68
16:00 71
16:15 71
16:30 73
16:45 79
17:00 81
17:15 85
17:30 87
17:45 86
18:00 84
18:15 80
18:30 80

looking at those reading, there where some ups and downs but is seems
that around the 70 C. it had trouble getting hotter

I got a bit worried, because I did not see the meat pull back but
decided after 5 hour to feed the family. Since I had two pieces, I
decided to put a glaze on one of theme.

Glaze
˝ cup of brown sugar
˝ cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Worchester sauce
1 tablespoon dion mustard
2 tablespoons of honey

took the ribs out after 51/2 hours.

The ribs part 1 (closed to the loin) was dark, but not burned
It had a nice shiny color due to the glaze
The ribs where moist
Although the meat did not pull back from the bone much, you did not
have to pull the meat off the bones, the almost fall of the bone.

The ribs close to the sternum where a disappointment.
The meat was done, but chewy in one of the last pictures you can see
that one of the ribs had a “joint” part and there was a lot of
cartilage. I always thought a rib is a rib. I never thought there was
so much difference between the loin part, the “middle part” and the
sternum part. I now know to stick with the middle part if I want to
smoke ribs.

Improvements for next time:
Get only the good spare ribs
There was not much garlic taste, baste with garlic and oil to keep a
garlic taste (not to keep them moist, they come out moist without
basting this time)
Easy on the glaze. It had a nice taste, but can overpower the taste of
the meat
The wood I used was dry oak, no fresh wood. No heave smoke. I will not
change this. After 5 ˝ hours they had a nice flavor. No need for lots
of smoke when you burn only wood

Questions to the group:
When you take a look at the pictures, did the butcher do a good job? I
asked for a st louis cut.
Do you have suggestions on the cartilage part. I think you refer to it
as the skirt and costal ribs. I don’t remember reading about it in the
past being chewy and lots of cartilage?

Well, it turned out to be a long post, I hope you enjoyed reading it.

Conclusion: Yes you can have good spare ribs in the Netherlands

Adriaan
the Netherlands
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"A. Kesteloo" > wrote in news:f3a64cb9-4ad7-
:

http://creativeimpulse.xs4all.nl/photo/

They looked great.

One suggestion about the glaze and missing garlic flavor. Instead of trying
to glaze them why not convert it to a sauce to be used at the table. this
will keep it from overpowering the meat (unless your my kids who think
ketchup is its own food group) and you can add garlic to the sauce to give
some more garlic flavor.

--
Tommy Lee
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
:

> A. Kesteloo wrote:
>> As promised, the evaluation of this weekends spare ribs experiment.
>>
>> Photo’s on my home server, so it might be a bit slow
>> http://creativeimpulse.xs4all.nl/photo/

> Nice server, but I can't see it.
>
> I can't get to the photos. Access is denied. There is no means to
> register for access. I only get a page saying there are no public
> albums. The links on the page either return me to the page which
> denies access, or to a login sub-window, which has no link to a site
> registration or "new user" link, or to the Synology site.
>
> MartyB in KC

try "bbq_user" for user and password

--
Tommy Lee
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 23, 7:21*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> A. Kesteloo wrote:

> If I may make a suggestion, I would eliminate the fresh garlic and olive oil
> completely, as fresh garlic in particular may have a tendency to get bitter
> whenever it is in the heat and smoke for an extended time. The same with
> olive oil, it will take on a bitter flavor from the smoke.

I actually winced when I read of these Adriaan, fresh garlic, olive
oil on BBQ, errrr no. I looove fresh garlic, but not for this
application.

Have you enjoyed these ingredients on the other cuts you've been
cooking on that contraption of yours?

From the sound of it your ribs needed about another 90 minutes of
cooking time. You learned lesson #2 of BBQ, don't cook to a schedule.
If you're planning to eat at 7PM, try to BBQ so the meat's done
between 5:30-6:00PM. BBQ meat holds a lot better than it tastes when
underdone and rushed.

Marty gave you good meat cut observations, to which I'll just add one
thing, why go for St Louis style, when a full slab (from which the St.
Louis is cut) will be easier for your butcher to do, and you'll
probably get the extra meat for almost nothing,

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Jun-2008, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> A. Kesteloo wrote:
> > As promised, the evaluation of this weekends spare ribs
> > experiment.
> >
> > Photo’s on my home server, so it might be a bit slow
> > http://creativeimpulse.xs4all.nl/photo/

> Nice server, but I can't see it.
>
> I can't get to the photos. Access is denied. There is no means to
> register
> for access. I only get a page saying there are no public albums.
> The links
> on the page either return me to the page which denies access, or
> to a login
> sub-window, which has no link to a site registration or "new user"
> link, or
> to the Synology site.
>
> MartyB in KC

That's strange Marty. I clicked the link and it took me right to the

web page. I signed in and there was a slide show identified there.
I clicked the button to start slideshow and away it went. Something
like 20 - 30 pictures there. I didn't count them.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

How lbs of spare ribs? notbob General Cooking 25 18-02-2012 10:07 PM
Spare ribs biig General Cooking 20 25-03-2007 08:42 PM
Spare Ribs Mom2SamTiny Recipes (moderated) 0 18-12-2006 12:38 PM
Back Ribs vs Spare Ribs - Cooking/Smoking/Grilling Bob Hayden Barbecue 6 05-01-2004 06:46 PM
dry spare ribs No1 Uwoodknow General Cooking 0 24-12-2003 05:40 PM