Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default pecan

no pecan wood for smoking but i do have lots of pecan hulls. good idea? idea
only a drunk would have? i should do it for a reference point for others?

joe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 19, 6:50*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> Seriously. I don't like mesquite for smoke, but do you save a little for
> grilling steaks? (I mix it with hickory or cherry for wood fired steaks)
> Tastes pretty good to me, and makes a nice hot fire for us charred rare
> fans.

I know Steve doesn't care for mesquite in any forms, but I like it for
steaks, chicken, sausage, etc., anything that doesn't spend too much
time on the pit. And even then, never all mesquite. It's too strong
in my opinion for most meats to use alone.

I use mesquite with brisket, say one small chunk mixed in with the
oak. I have been to a couple of barbecue (Texas only, so no pork
except baby backs for the spouses) cookoffs, and the pitmasters have
their own mixes of oak, pecan, mesquite, cherry, etc., but I didn't
see any of them using >all< mesquite. They cooked brisket, beef ribs,
sausage and chicken.

A little goes a long way with that stuff. I grew up with that flavor,
so I miss on beef it when it isn't around. And sure enough, to my
palate, it is dandy for steaks. 4 -5 minutes a side for a 1 1/2 to 2"
ribeye or strip over mesquite coals is wonderful.

Robert

Pecan pie notbob[_5_] General Cooking 63 27-03-2011 08:27 AM
Pecan pie ImStillMags General Cooking 33 25-03-2011 08:29 PM
Pecan pie ImStillMags General Cooking 0 24-03-2011 08:13 PM
Best Pecan Pie Nancy Inman Recipes (moderated) 0 25-11-2007 02:57 PM
Pecan Pie [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 08-02-2005 03:51 AM