Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Hey guys...two questions... portioning and thermometers

Hi Alll,

Looking for a little help in two areas, pulled pork portioning and
Thermometers..

For the Pulled Pork -

A friend asked me to smoke some pulled Pork for her kids welcome back
party for 60 people and I'm trying to gauge the number of boston butts
it will take to accomodate. The butts are running about 7-1/2 to 8
pounds each.

Any suggestions? Right now I am guesstimating about 7 butts after
shrinkage but wanted others opinions

Next, looking for suggestions on wireless (and maybe not wireless)
thermometers. I have an Oregon Scientific that works to a point,
except it has those annoying PRESET target temps for Chicken, Turkey,
Pork and Beef, using their idea of Rare, Medium and Well done.

What I am loking for is one that I can set the specific temp, NOT one
limited by their food guidline (I want my target temp to be 193,
dangit, not the higest this one will let me set at `180).

As always, any help with either of both of the above would be greatly
appreciated

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> Hi Alll,
>
> Looking for a little help in two areas, pulled pork portioning and
> Thermometers..
>
> For the Pulled Pork -
>
> A friend asked me to smoke some pulled Pork for her kids welcome back
> party for 60 people and I'm trying to gauge the number of boston butts
> it will take to accomodate. The butts are running about 7-1/2 to 8
> pounds each.
>
> Any suggestions? Right now I am guesstimating about 7 butts after
> shrinkage but wanted others opinions

I'd figure about 1/3lb cooked weight per person so I'd cook about
40lbs--should give ya leftovers too--can't help with thermos though!

Buzz

> Next, looking for suggestions on wireless (and maybe not wireless)
> thermometers. I have an Oregon Scientific that works to a point,
> except it has those annoying PRESET target temps for Chicken, Turkey,
> Pork and Beef, using their idea of Rare, Medium and Well done.
>
> What I am loking for is one that I can set the specific temp, NOT one
> limited by their food guidline (I want my target temp to be 193,
> dangit, not the higest this one will let me set at `180).
>
> As always, any help with either of both of the above would be greatly
> appreciated
>
> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
> www.chefjuke.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 11-Aug-2007, Chef Juke > wrote:

> Hi Alll,
>
> Looking for a little help in two areas, pulled pork portioning and
> Thermometers..
>
> For the Pulled Pork -
>
> A friend asked me to smoke some pulled Pork for her kids welcome back
> party for 60 people and I'm trying to gauge the number of boston butts
> it will take to accomodate. The butts are running about 7-1/2 to 8
> pounds each.
>
> Any suggestions? Right now I am guesstimating about 7 butts after
> shrinkage but wanted others opinions

I think you're damn close with your estimate. I figure 1/2lb for each male
and about 1/4lb for each female of plated meat. Figure to lose 50% in the
cooking process and if you're really lucky, you'll only lose 40%. I came up
with 7 to 8 butts myself.

> Next, looking for suggestions on wireless (and maybe not wireless)
> thermometers. I have an Oregon Scientific that works to a point,
> except it has those annoying PRESET target temps for Chicken, Turkey,
> Pork and Beef, using their idea of Rare, Medium and Well done.

Now about that Oregon Scientific thermometer with the alleged preset
temps for various meats. Check and see if that guy has a memory button
flanked by plus and minus buttons. Perhaps it also has a meat selection
button and a taste button. I have two machines like that although neither
claims to be from Oregon Scientific. Here goes.

1. choose your meat
2. choose your doneness.
3. press and hold the memory button. After a few seconds the alert temp
should flash.
4. Use plus(+) and minus(-) buttons to reset your alert temp.
5. press the memory button again to set your new alert temp. (Temp will
stop flashing.)
6. enjoy.

> What I am loking for is one that I can set the specific temp, NOT one
> limited by their food guidline (I want my target temp to be 193,
> dangit, not the higest this one will let me set at `180).
>
> As always, any help with either of both of the above would be greatly
> appreciated
>
> -Chef Juke

I have two meters set up like that and I discovered how to use them
just before I threw both of them away.

--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

A key to selecting a digital thermometer is the max temp. The Weber
and a few others will only go up to about 200 (I forget the exact
temp) because it is for measuring meat temp. You want something that
will get up to 400 or so for measuring oven temp. I like the Maverick
ET-73 best, with some minor complaints. My full review is at

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_gu...cessories.html

meathead

On Aug 15, 4:23 pm, "Brick" > wrote:
> On 11-Aug-2007, Chef Juke > wrote:
>
> > Hi Alll,

> > Looking for a little help in two areas, pulled pork portioning and
> > Thermometers..

> > For the Pulled Pork -

> > A friend asked me to smoke some pulled Pork for her kids welcome back
> > party for 60 people and I'm trying to gauge the number of boston butts
> > it will take to accomodate. The butts are running about 7-1/2 to 8
> > pounds each.

> > Any suggestions? Right now I am guesstimating about 7 butts after
> > shrinkage but wanted others opinions

> I think you're damn close with your estimate. I figure 1/2lb for each male
> and about 1/4lb for each female of plated meat. Figure to lose 50% in the
> cooking process and if you're really lucky, you'll only lose 40%. I came up
> with 7 to 8 butts myself.
>

> > Next, looking for suggestions on wireless (and maybe not wireless)
> > thermometers. I have an Oregon Scientific that works to a point,
> > except it has those annoying PRESET target temps for Chicken, Turkey,
> > Pork and Beef, using their idea of Rare, Medium and Well done.

> Now about that Oregon Scientific thermometer with the alleged preset
> temps for various meats. Check and see if that guy has a memory button
> flanked by plus and minus buttons. Perhaps it also has a meat selection
> button and a taste button. I have two machines like that although neither
> claims to be from Oregon Scientific. Here goes.
>
> 1. choose your meat
> 2. choose your doneness.
> 3. press and hold the memory button. After a few seconds the alert temp
> should flash.
> 4. Use plus(+) and minus(-) buttons to reset your alert temp.
> 5. press the memory button again to set your new alert temp. (Temp will
> stop flashing.)
> 6. enjoy.
>
> > What I am loking for is one that I can set the specific temp, NOT one
> > limited by their food guidline (I want my target temp to be 193,
> > dangit, not the higest this one will let me set at `180).

> > As always, any help with either of both of the above would be greatly
> > appreciated

> > -Chef Juke

> I have two meters set up like that and I discovered how to use them
> just before I threw both of them away.
>
> --
> Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 04:45:03 -0700, Meathead >
wrote:

>A key to selecting a digital thermometer is the max temp. The Weber
>and a few others will only go up to about 200 (I forget the exact
>temp) because it is for measuring meat temp. You want something that
>will get up to 400 or so for measuring oven temp. I like the Maverick
>ET-73 best, with some minor complaints. My full review is at
>
>http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_gu...cessories.html
>
>meathead

Meathead,

Thanks much...This was the kind of info I was looking for