Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default funny butt

I have a friend that loves to grill but never really bbq/smokes
anything, basically because he didn't have a smoker. I recently finished
a pit I've been working on for a few years and gave him my interim pit.
I love to make pulled pork, I'll make one and take it to parties pulled.

He loves the pork butt, his wife was always trying to get me to make
them one, she would throw out comments like, "oh if your not too busy
maybe you...", I don't have a lot of time as it is, so when I do smoke,
I do a few things for myself or a party.

Anyways, I gave him this smoker one morning. He called me at about 4:00
p.m. on a Sunday. He had a fire, said it was sitting around 275-300, and
he bought a pork butt and asked, "what do I do next". I kind of gave
him the quick version on smoking the butt, rubs and temmps, he was using
mesquite and oak. talked about basting if your planning on it, I always
do it towards the end, last few hours. But that part is up to you,
nothing with lots of sugar or it will burn, black to the crust. lastly
get the internal temp up to 185-190 if you can.

I've told him in the past it can take 7-10 hours depending on how much
you butt weighs and the temp you cook at.

Like I said it was a really quick over the phone conversation. At the
end of the conversation he asks, "whatya think it'll take about 3
hours". I had a little laugh and replied, "No, it will take a bit
longer, just keep and eye on your pit temp and internal temp".

I was at his bar the next day, and brought it up, I asked how much the
butt weighed, 10 pounds. OUCH. He said, "you could've told me I was
gonna be up til midnight. I never did get that damn thing up to 190".
He said he pulled it off, wrapped it in foil and threw it in an ice
chest, went to work and told his wife to put it in the oven for 3 or 4
more hours.

He asked if i wanted to try it, I can't say I wasn't hesitant. he
brought it out, still pretty much whole, I pulled a piece of the crust
off and some inner meat, He gets an "A". it was awesome. Just a very
small section in the center didn't pull. Damn he was proud, I told him,
"my wife wants you to..."

mk

First butt Bill Riel Barbecue 17 08-02-2008 06:13 AM
Wet butt The Truthful Assh0le General Cooking 23 16-08-2007 03:20 AM
first butt going at 4am Barbecue 1 04-07-2005 04:47 AM
BIG BUTT Gama Kido General Cooking 1 16-02-2005 02:57 AM
Butt frohe Barbecue 4 05-07-2004 10:52 AM