Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Carne/Pollo Asada Rubs and Marinades Recipe Ideas?

Being a newcomer to North San Diego, I decided to get with the program
on Southwestern grilling. A branch of Kennedy's Karne butcher shop(based in
Imperial Valley) opened up in town and their marinated Pollo Asada was
delicious, but pricey. I asked if they sold their marinade, and they just
laughed at me. I tried to duplicate it, but juicing all the oranges and
limes and grinding the cilantro and some of the spices with mortal and
pestil was more trouble than I want to deal with on a regular basis,
although it was very good on both beef and chicken.
Instead of the traditional flap meat, I used flat iron steaks which I
can get at Ralph's for 3.99 a pound. They are very lean and tender. If you
can find this cut, give it a try.
Any hints on good rubs or marinades for carne/pollo asada would be
appreciated.

Jim

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Jim Johansen wrote:
> Any hints on good rubs or marinades for carne/pollo asada would be
> appreciated.

asada marinade
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne
4 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup strong coffee
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup worcestershire
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sugar
Combine all ingredients in small saucepan and heat until flavors combine.
Marinade 6-8 hrs.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 22, 10:57 am, "Jim Johansen" > wrote:
> Being a newcomer to North San Diego, I decided to get with the program
> on Southwestern grilling. A branch of Kennedy's Karne butcher shop(based in
> Imperial Valley) opened up in town and their marinated Pollo Asada was
> delicious, but pricey. I asked if they sold their marinade, and they just
> laughed at me. I tried to duplicate it, but juicing all the oranges and
> limes and grinding the cilantro and some of the spices with mortal and
> pestil was more trouble than I want to deal with on a regular basis,
> although it was very good on both beef and chicken.
> Instead of the traditional flap meat, I used flat iron steaks which I
> can get at Ralph's for 3.99 a pound. They are very lean and tender. If you
> can find this cut, give it a try.
> Any hints on good rubs or marinades for carne/pollo asada would be
> appreciated.
>
> Jim

Jim,

Depending on where in North County you're located, i may be able to
recommend some other local places to give a try at. Feel free to drop
a line.

Jason
O'side

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In this part of Texas, the carne asada is usually prepared with a rub
only, and the marinates are used more for fajitas. Like everywhere
else, everyone has their traditional recipes for these dishes.

But this rub is about right for a (locally recognized here in San
Antonio) carne asada rub. Let this rub sit on the meat overnight.

http://tinyurl.com/yu9qdb

Good stuff.

Don't forget the tortillas!

Robert

I use carne asada meat [email protected] General Cooking 0 21-01-2016 11:30 PM
Carne Asada Qbert General Cooking 1 11-10-2015 01:17 AM
Carne Asada Recipe camrodri General Cooking 10 08-04-2009 04:52 AM
Carne Asada Recipe camrodri Recipes 0 06-04-2009 03:29 PM
Charlie's Carne Asada Charles Gifford Mexican Cooking 10 01-03-2005 10:29 PM