Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Pork shoulder advice

Greetings,

Well, I got my feet wet so to speak last week with pork hocks and loin
roasts in my new Masterbuilt Electric smoker. For my first attempt,
they were delicious. It's time to move on. I've had pulled pork at
several "rib fests" in the past few years and found it quite tasty.
When I stopped in to my favourite butcher this afternoon they had pork
shoulder on sale for 89 cents a pound so I figured there's no time
like the present. I picked up one that weighs 8.8 lbs. with a nice
layer of fat over the top.
Now I'm looking for advice on the proper rub technique. Both my wife
and I love rosemary and garlic with a roast leg of lamb so I'm
wondering if they'd also be suitable for pulled pork?
Can someone also point me in the direction of instructions for using
yellow mustard in smoking pork.
We also have many fruit trees as well as other hardwoods here on the
property and I have more seasoned wood than I know what to do with
such as hickory, oak, hard maple, apple, cherry, pear, apricot, plum,
mulberry, etc. Of course, I have to turn these into chips for the
Masterbuilt. Any pointer on which might be best for pork shoulder?
I have a remote reading probe type thermometer and, from luring here I
assume 185ºF in the center of the lean is the best time to quit?

Many thanks,

Ross
Southern Ontario, Canada.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

> Now I'm looking for advice on the proper rub technique. Both my wife
> and I love rosemary and garlic with a roast leg of lamb so I'm
> wondering if they'd also be suitable for pulled pork?

There's no mystery. Just use a few spices that taste good to you. Or just
salt, pepper and granulated garlic.

> Can someone also point me in the direction of instructions for using
> yellow mustard in smoking pork.

It's not necessary, and in my opinion doesn't really add anything except for
something that will hold more rub than on dry meat alone. I prefer to use a
bit of vegetable oil, then add the rub.

To use the mustard, open the top, squeeze a goodly amount onto the meat,
smooth it evenly over the meat. It doesn't need an opaque coating.

> We also have many fruit trees as well as other hardwoods here on the
> property and I have more seasoned wood than I know what to do with
> such as hickory, oak, hard maple, apple, cherry, pear, apricot, plum,
> mulberry, etc. Of course, I have to turn these into chips for the
> Masterbuilt. Any pointer on which might be best for pork shoulder?

Any of them will work fine. I like fruit woods myself.

> I have a remote reading probe type thermometer and, from luring here I
> assume 185ºF in the center of the lean is the best time to quit?

No. The best time to quit is when it's done. For pulled pork, that will be
when it is pullable. It might be at 185F measured in the center of the
roast, or it might be higher. Regardless, it is done when it is pullable.

Here's the BBQ FAQ:
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

Good BBQ to you :-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 12, 4:52 pm, wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Well, I got my feet wet so to speak last week with pork hocks and loin
> roasts in my new Masterbuilt Electric smoker. For my first attempt,
> they were delicious. It's time to move on. I've had pulled pork at
> several "rib fests" in the past few years and found it quite tasty.
> When I stopped in to my favourite butcher this afternoon they had pork
> shoulder on sale for 89 cents a pound so I figured there's no time
> like the present. I picked up one that weighs 8.8 lbs. with a nice
> layer of fat over the top.
> Now I'm looking for advice on the proper rub technique. Both my wife
> and I love rosemary and garlic with a roast leg of lamb so I'm
> wondering if they'd also be suitable for pulled pork?
> Can someone also point me in the direction of instructions for using
> yellow mustard in smoking pork.
> We also have many fruit trees as well as other hardwoods here on the
> property and I have more seasoned wood than I know what to do with
> such as hickory, oak, hard maple, apple, cherry, pear, apricot, plum,
> mulberry, etc. Of course, I have to turn these into chips for the
> Masterbuilt. Any pointer on which might be best for pork shoulder?
> I have a remote reading probe type thermometer and, from luring here I
> assume 185ºF in the center of the lean is the best time to quit?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Ross
> Southern Ontario, Canada.

Hi Ross, we go to 190 and consistantly have 'to die for' pulled pork.
We have not had a bad one since going to 190 - apparently ours is done
at that temp, and pulls, practically pulls itself, very easily. Rub?
like Dave said, pick out your fav spices or combos and have at it. I
made up our rub recipe after looking over a bunch of recipes, and
decided you can't do it wrong with a little cooking experience and a
decent palate.
Good Luck from Delaware!!
Nan & Rich

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:54:07 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

Lots of good advice for this noobie and ended with

>Good BBQ to you :-)

Thanks, Dave.

On Saturday, I followed your suggestion, lightly coated the shoulder
with olive oil and rubbed with a mixture of salt, freshly ground black
pepper, paprika and granulated garlic.
I then ventured out on my own a bit and slathered it with a generous
amount of a condiment we use a lot of here, Tuong ot Toi (Vietnamese
garlic chile), put it in a plastic bag and placed it in the fridge
overnight.
Sunday morning early, it came out of the fridge while I got the smoker
ready. About 45 minutes later, it went into the smoker, temperature
set. at 225ºF, and time at 12 hours. I used a combination of hickory,
maple and mulberry chips for about 9 hours worth of smoke.
Took it out after a little more than 11 hours, it pulled easily and it
tastes GREAT! The outside by itself was a bit on the "warm" side with
the garlic chili but blended all together it's excellent.
Thanks again.

Ross.

need advice smoking deer shoulder Mike[_27_] Barbecue 6 25-09-2007 01:10 AM
Shoulder advice Stan (the Man) Barbecue 11 19-10-2005 12:40 AM
Pork shoulder Kurt Barbecue 3 26-12-2004 06:16 PM
BBQ a whole shoulder - advice? Bo Hica Barbecue 29 15-12-2004 03:02 AM
Newbie needs pork shoulder spice advice Anthony Ewell General Cooking 17 26-07-2004 02:49 PM