Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default need advice smoking deer shoulder

A friend of mine asked if I would smoke a deer shoulder later this fall when
he gets one. Any suggestions or tips on rubs, cooking temps and finished
temp.
Thanks, Mike

--

JESUS IS LORD!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mike" > wrote in message
t...
>A friend of mine asked if I would smoke a deer shoulder later this fall
>when he gets one. Any suggestions or tips on rubs, cooking temps and
>finished temp.
> Thanks, Mike

Given that deer meat is much more lean than pig meat, I'd lard it with bacon
before cooking. IMO, all game should be cooked to at least 160.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Unless it's one of those Kobe Elk, there really isn't any part of
> a domestic deer that stands up well to smoking unless you want to
> make jerky - which I do a lot.

steve's right (sound of joe burning his tounge for ever saying that)
cook it quick or stew it. wild is a very lean animal. don't do the
farm stuff.

joe
petersburg (who has venison standing in his garden) alaska

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mike" > wrote in message
t...
>A friend of mine asked if I would smoke a deer shoulder later this fall
>when he gets one. Any suggestions or tips on rubs, cooking temps and
>finished temp.
> Thanks, Mike

Thanks for all the imput, I told him this morning I wouldn't be able to do
it.
Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 01:26:17 GMT, "Mike" > wrote:

>A friend of mine asked if I would smoke a deer shoulder later this fall when
>he gets one. Any suggestions or tips on rubs, cooking temps and finished
>temp.
>Thanks, Mike

Mike
Other than jerky you can make a small ham from the hind quarter.
in the core of the quarter there is a small football shaped piece of
meat. take of all the fat you may need to split the larger ones to
remove veins.
I wrap mine in cheese cloth and soak in curing salt brown sugar and
cloves for about 5 days then but in smoker and hot smoke it to 160.

grogzap