Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default More on Brisket Technique...

Did up a 10.5 pounder over the 4th. I know, not all that big, but it's
about the best I can find around here. Walmart's the only place that
carries full packer cuts! The rest are just the flats.

Anyway, did something a bit different this time, instead of slathering on
mustard, then coating with my rub, I made a mixture of mayo and mustard,
heavy on the mayo, then mixed the spices into that, making a paste. Then
slathered it all on at one time.

Put it in the smoker at about 1:30am on Wed. morning, took it out around
noon Wed. Point was actually a touch high in temp, 'bout 202, flat right at
190. Foil, then towel wrapped, into a cooler til around 4pm when it was
taken out and cut.

Crust was awesome! As was the brisket according to everyone else. I wasn't
satisfied. *g*

Great flavor, crust was awesome as said above, light smoke ring(used wild
cherry wood, very mild smoke flavor), point end was very very juicy and very
tender. But the flat end was very tender, but also very dry IMO.

So, when everyone says pull it at 190... where are you checking? Am I
letting it in too long letting the flat itself get to 190? Is that why its
so dry?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

43fan wrote:

> So, when everyone says pull it at 190... where are you checking? Am I
> letting it in too long letting the flat itself get to 190? Is that
> why its so dry?

That's why I pull at 180. It's just as tender, but is not 'crumbly', and the
moisture is much better.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

43fan wrote:
> So, when everyone says pull it at 190... where are you checking? Am I
> letting it in too long letting the flat itself get to 190? Is that
> why its so dry?

Take the temp in the flat only.

I'm like Dave Bugg and pull mine at 180-185°F.

-frohe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> 43fan wrote:
>
>> So, when everyone says pull it at 190... where are you checking? Am I
>> letting it in too long letting the flat itself get to 190? Is that
>> why its so dry?

> That's why I pull at 180. It's just as tender, but is not 'crumbly', and
> the moisture is much better.
> --

Using the "feel" of the probe on the thermometer, it felt very tender, and
was probably a lot more moist, at about 175... probably should've just
pulled it then, since the point was already at 190.

And Dave, apologies for sending this direct, musta hit the wrong button.

> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

43fan wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> 43fan wrote:
>>
>>> So, when everyone says pull it at 190... where are you checking? Am I
>>> letting it in too long letting the flat itself get to 190? Is
>>> that why its so dry?

>> That's why I pull at 180. It's just as tender, but is not 'crumbly',
>> and the moisture is much better.
>> --

> Using the "feel" of the probe on the thermometer, it felt very
> tender, and was probably a lot more moist, at about 175... probably
> should've just pulled it then, since the point was already at 190.
>
> And Dave, apologies for sending this direct, musta hit the wrong
> button.

No worries, mate.

--
Dave