Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Good, mild rub for a shoulder roast?

All,

I am planning to make pulled pork for the 4th. One of my guests can't
stand for spicy food, so rubs with chili powder or cayenne pepper is
out. I considered a sweeter rub, like with brown sugar, but I don't
want to burn the crust.

I plan to make two sauces to add to the pulled pork, a sweet BBQ
sauce, and a spicy vinegar sauce... so guests can choose.

What type of rub would you use?

Thanks,

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bilz wrote:
> All,
>
> I am planning to make pulled pork for the 4th. One of my guests can't
> stand for spicy food, so rubs with chili powder or cayenne pepper is
> out. I considered a sweeter rub, like with brown sugar, but I don't
> want to burn the crust.
>
> I plan to make two sauces to add to the pulled pork, a sweet BBQ
> sauce, and a spicy vinegar sauce... so guests can choose.
>
> What type of rub would you use?
>
> Thanks,

Simple garlic powder with salt and pepper works for us.

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bilz" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I am planning to make pulled pork for the 4th. One of my guests can't
> stand for spicy food, so rubs with chili powder or cayenne pepper is
> out. I considered a sweeter rub, like with brown sugar, but I don't
> want to burn the crust.

> What type of rub would you use?

I would use the rub you would normally use. When you pull the pork, you'll
easily be able to set aside a considerable portion that will not have any
rub flavor on it for your mild-paletted guest. A shoulder roast is a big
hunk of meat. There are large portions that will not have any of the flavor
of the rub until you mix all of the pulled meat together.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bilz wrote:
> All,
>
> I am planning to make pulled pork for the 4th. One of my guests can't
> stand for spicy food, so rubs with chili powder or cayenne pepper is
> out. I considered a sweeter rub, like with brown sugar, but I don't
> want to burn the crust.
>
> I plan to make two sauces to add to the pulled pork, a sweet BBQ
> sauce, and a spicy vinegar sauce... so guests can choose.
>
> What type of rub would you use?

It might be a bit too simple, but how about a heavy does of bacon fat on
the meat, followed by salt, pepper and garlic powder? If it's just one
guest with a spice problem, consider also doing your pulled pork as
usual, then reserving some of the inside, near the bone, for the special
guest. (S)he might miss out on some of the good crust, but the inside
is almost as good all by itself.

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bilz wrote:
> I am planning to make pulled pork for the 4th. One of my guests can't
> stand for spicy food, so rubs with chili powder or cayenne pepper is
> out. I considered a sweeter rub, like with brown sugar, but I don't
> want to burn the crust.
> What type of rub would you use?

My favorite rub is simply S&P and garlic powder. Ya can't go wrong with it.

-frohe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bilz" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> What type of rub would you use?

In addition to my previous response...

....here's a rub I've tried and enjoyed that should meet your requirements.
The rub is from "Smoke and Spice" and is called Sweet Sensation. The recipe
is quoted in the following message:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...003e464d9b2a49

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bilz wrote:
> All,
>
> I am planning to make pulled pork for the 4th. One of my guests can't
> stand for spicy food, so rubs with chili powder or cayenne pepper is
> out. I considered a sweeter rub, like with brown sugar, but I don't
> want to burn the crust.
>
> I plan to make two sauces to add to the pulled pork, a sweet BBQ
> sauce, and a spicy vinegar sauce... so guests can choose.
>
> What type of rub would you use?
>
> Thanks,

Try Santa Cruz Red Chili Powder for color and flavor. There is
absolutely no mouth burn. It comes packaged in a great paper cup, sort
of like a fishing worm box that keeps it fresh for months.
I searched the web and found a link here where you can purchase it. Its
not expensive like some smaller bottled powders.
http://www.pecanstore.com/products.aspx?ITEMS=C08

I use equal amounts of kosher salt, brown or raw Mexican sugar and Santa
Cruz Powder along with smaller amounts of garlic and spices.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"frohe" wrote
> Bilz wrote:
> > I am planning to make pulled pork for the 4th. One of my guests
> > can't stand for spicy food, so rubs with chili powder or cayenne
> > pepper is out. I considered a sweeter rub, like with brown sugar,
> > but I don't want to burn the crust.
> > What type of rub would you use?

> My favorite rub is simply S&P and garlic powder. Ya can't go wrong
> with it.
> -frohe

Well, with frohe, kili, TFM®, and now my vote, it sounds like:
Salt
Pepper
garlic powder

might be worth a try. Really, sometimes simple is better.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"kilikini" > wrote in message

> Simple garlic powder with salt and pepper works for us.
>
> kili

That's all I ever use on it. Then I add a cider vinegar sauce with just a
hint of red pepper, but not enough to bite.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 28, 9:00 am, Bilz > wrote:
> All,
>
> I am planning to make pulled pork for the 4th. One of my guests can't
> stand for spicy food, so rubs with chili powder or cayenne pepper is
> out. I considered a sweeter rub, like with brown sugar, but I don't
> want to burn the crust.
>
> I plan to make two sauces to add to the pulled pork, a sweet BBQ
> sauce, and a spicy vinegar sauce... so guests can choose.
>
> What type of rub would you use?
>
> Thanks,

I posted this about 5 hours ago, and it never showed up, so I'll try
again. For pulled pork, I like Penzey's Bicentennial Rub: Here's the
link:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...entennial.html

For a sauce, I like this mustard-based sauce:

3/4 cup yellow mustard
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 ½ tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
In a medium saucepan, combine ingredients, stirring to blend.
Over low heat, simmer 30 minutes. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour
before using.

Good luck with the pulled pork!

JimnGin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I would go ahead and just use whatever rub YOU like on the butt. But
instead of pulling/chopping all the bark into the pulled pork, just remove
the bark and chop it and leave it on the side. If your guests like their
pulled pork a bit spicier, then they can just add some chopped bark to
theirs. For those that don't like it hot/spicy, don't have to have any of
the spicier bark.

good luck,

Matt

"Bilz" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> All,
>
> I am planning to make pulled pork for the 4th. One of my guests can't
> stand for spicy food, so rubs with chili powder or cayenne pepper is
> out. I considered a sweeter rub, like with brown sugar, but I don't
> want to burn the crust.
>
> I plan to make two sauces to add to the pulled pork, a sweet BBQ
> sauce, and a spicy vinegar sauce... so guests can choose.
>
> What type of rub would you use?
>
> Thanks,

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 30-Jun-2007, Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:00:37 -0000, Bilz >
> wrote:
>
> >I am planning to make pulled pork for the 4th. One of my guests can't
> >stand for spicy food, so rubs with chili powder or cayenne pepper is
> >out. I considered a sweeter rub, like with brown sugar, but I don't
> >want to burn the crust.

> I'm very fond of Danny Gaulden's rib rub on ribs and pork shoulder.
> The recipe as posted he http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp?rid=57
> has 1 tablespoon of cayenne; I'm a wimp and never use that much. If
> you make the rub with 1 teaspoon (that's 1/3 of a tablespoon,
> dontchaknow) of cayenne, nobody'll notice it, esp. after you pull &
> mix up the pork. (you could leave the cayenne out completely and it'd
> be good, still) Yes, this has brown sugar, and no, I've not seen the
> crust burnt. Well, except for once when I totally botched and ran the
> pit way too high for way too long. But that wasn't the brown sugar.
>
> -denny-

The premise that the inclusion of chili powder or cayenne powder make
a product "spicy" is questionable in my mind. I use Emeril's Bayou
Blast with reduced salt on all of my pork. Pork seems to be able to
soak up an awful lot of seasoning before it becomes objectionable in
the final product. I use Emeril's Bayou Blast on (almost) all of my
pork and beef products. To date not one person has ever mentioned the
presence of garlic or pepper in my pulled pork, brisket, chuck or
pork ribs. I personally don't perceive my 'Q' as being the least bit
"spicy". TFM® has had a taste or two of my 'Q'. Perhaps he'll make
a comment about the rub.

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Brick(Enforce the law first; change it later if necessary)