Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Wood Chunks - Smoking vs. Burning

With interest I read the articles about Wood Chunks - Smoking vs. Burning.
In my smoker I use wood only, and try to get a nice clean burn because a
smouldering dying fire would be bad. I haven't tried it, but have bad
experience with a rotten piece of wood.
But........
Here in the Netherlands the smoke eel over a smothering fire. The throw
sawdust over it and a blanket over the barrel to maintain draft, but keep
the smoke in. I have been reading this newsgroup for a long time now, and
the above method should be a no no for smoking. Yet the smoked eel it
produces is the best there is. One thing the never do. No green or wet wood.
Maybe a smouldering fire of dry wood is not so bad?

Adriaan

The Netherlands

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

A. Kesteloo wrote:
> I have been reading this newsgroup for a long time now, and
> the above method should be a no no for smoking. Yet the smoked eel it
> produces is the best there is. One thing the never do. No green or wet wood.
> Maybe a smouldering fire of dry wood is not so bad?

I haven't had eel in many moons.... it brings back memories.

Anyway, there are always a dozen ways to do something, and when someone
says, "that won't work" that probably means, "It didn't work for me."

Some pertinent variables - length of exposure to the smoke, the kind of
wood and how the object being smoked responds to the smoke.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
Wagner's music is better than it sounds. -- Mark Twain
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

A. Kesteloo wrote:
> With interest I read the articles about Wood Chunks - Smoking vs.
> Burning. In my smoker I use wood only, and try to get a nice clean
> burn because a smouldering dying fire would be bad. I haven't tried
> it, but have bad experience with a rotten piece of wood.
> But........
> Here in the Netherlands the smoke eel over a smothering fire. The
> throw sawdust over it and a blanket over the barrel to maintain
> draft, but keep the smoke in. I have been reading this newsgroup for
> a long time now, and the above method should be a no no for smoking.
> Yet the smoked eel it produces is the best there is. One thing the
> never do. No green or wet wood. Maybe a smouldering fire of dry wood
> is not so bad?
>
> Adriaan
>
> The Netherlands

What you're describing is the difference between cold-smoking and what we
call smoking on this NG.

What we call smoking is 250 f and above. Cold smoking is at 100 f and
below. Sawdust and smoldering are exceptional for such purposes.

Cold smoking is actually a curing process. The meat can remain
unrefrigerated indefinitely. Hot smoking is just a method of cooking.

Blutarsky© - Google Country Ham for cold smoking.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks for your answer, but I think this way of smoking eel is done at 170 /
180 F. for about 45 minutes. the eel is "done" by that time.

Adriaan

"Bluto" > schreef in bericht