Buck

Default Wood chunks or charcoal?

I picked up a big bag of mesquite from the local Home Depot. The bag
says I can use this instead of charcoal. Will it work? Won't that
lead to too much smoke flavor? If I plan on smoking my ribs with
apple won't the two wood flavors combine? Sorry if this looks like a
newbie question - it is. I'm still learning.

Thanks for your help!
AG

Go for it! The idea of too much or too little smoke flavor is an individual
preference but mixing apple and mesquite should IMHO produce a very good
taste. You will find that the wood chunks are a bit more of a challenge to
learn to use and control but the results will be well worth it.Just don't
soak the chunks or use lighter fluid. Start your fire and get it stabilized
and the cook on it. Add chunks as needed to maintain your prefered temp.

I have used chunks or lump for years and was always pleased. The only thing
better is burning firewood down to coals.
have fun
ag

Edwin Pawlowski

"Buck" > wrote in message
om...
> I picked up a big bag of mesquite from the local Home Depot. The bag
> says I can use this instead of charcoal. Will it work? Won't that
> lead to too much smoke flavor? If I plan on smoking my ribs with
> apple won't the two wood flavors combine? Sorry if this looks like a
> newbie question - it is. I'm still learning.
>
> Thanks for your help!

What you need is a small but hot fire, versus a large, but cooler burning
fire. The difference is in the amount of smoke, creosote and other
by-products of the fire you get. I use wood chunks a lot (but not mesquite
as there is none around here) and with some care get very good results.

Be sure the chunks are burning well before adding the meat and if youhave to
build the fire more, just add a chunk or two at a time. You may even want
to try a 50 - 50 mix the first time out.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Glenn

If mesquite is within dri8ving distance you don't use anything else.
Apple is for pie not BBQ. Lay a small bed of charcoal. Then soak the
mesquite in water and place them on top of the burning charcoal. You
want smoke, not flame. WATCH THE TEMPERATURE. 250 is good. What do you
mean "too much smoke flavor". You're kidding, right? Glenn

Buck wrote:
> I picked up a big bag of mesquite from the local Home Depot. The bag
> says I can use this instead of charcoal. Will it work? Won't that
> lead to too much smoke flavor? If I plan on smoking my ribs with
> apple won't the two wood flavors combine? Sorry if this looks like a
> newbie question - it is. I'm still learning.
>
> Thanks for your help!

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 14 May 2004 15:01:24 GMT, Glenn > wrote:

>If mesquite is within dri8ving distance you don't use anything else.
>Apple is for pie not BBQ. Lay a small bed of charcoal. Then soak the
>mesquite in water and place them on top of the burning charcoal. You
>want smoke, not flame. WATCH THE TEMPERATURE. 250 is good. What do you
>mean "too much smoke flavor". You're kidding, right? Glenn

Beginning with the fact that it's top-posted, there is so much wrong
about that post that I hardly know where to begin. In fact, you are
standing in a large vat of wrong, which is being rapidly
filled by a tanker truck pumping out more wrong--unless, of course,
you meant to post a recipe for making creosote.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho

Dave Bugg

Glenn wrote:

> Apple is for pie not BBQ.

And crap belongs in the toilet, not in this NG.

Jack Curry

"Glenn" > wrote in message
. com...
> If mesquite is within dri8ving distance you don't use anything else.
> Apple is for pie not BBQ. Lay a small bed of charcoal. Then soak the
> mesquite in water and place them on top of the burning charcoal. You
> want smoke, not flame. WATCH THE TEMPERATURE. 250 is good. What do you
> mean "too much smoke flavor". You're kidding, right? Glenn

So Glenn...
Exactly how many Angels can dance on the top of your head?

Jack Curry

Harry Demidavicius

On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:48:57 GMT, "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis
@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>"Glenn" > wrote in message
.com...
>> If mesquite is within dri8ving distance you don't use anything else.
>> Apple is for pie not BBQ. Lay a small bed of charcoal. Then soak the
>> mesquite in water and place them on top of the burning charcoal. You
>> want smoke, not flame. WATCH THE TEMPERATURE. 250 is good. What do you
>> mean "too much smoke flavor". You're kidding, right? Glenn
>>

>So Glenn...
>Exactly how many Angels can dance on the top of your head?
>
>Jack Curry

Daintilly put, Jack.
Harry
bbq

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Glenn wrote:
>

>>Apple is for pie not BBQ.

> And crap belongs in the toilet, not in this NG.

LMAO

Thanks,

BBQ

pilgrim13

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message >...
> Glenn wrote:
>
> > Apple is for pie not BBQ.

> And crap belongs in the toilet, not in this NG.

Ya know, there are times where ya just want to turn the tv off and
bring up a bowl of something to snack on along with a cold beer and
read through some of the posts. This beats the hell out of a good
comedy show, and this would be one of them. Laughed for about a good
minute over the last 2 post.

Poor Glenn...After the part of soaking the wood, all I could picture
was a nice dry chunk of wood being placed on, say about a 800 deg. bed
of white ash embers. Betcha got a case or two of lighter fluid on
hand.

Stan

Should wood chunks be soaked Barry Barbecue 18 15-07-2009 05:12 AM
Wood Chunks - Smoking vs. Burning OC Barbecue 13 04-06-2007 04:59 AM
BBQ wood chunks in BC? Skookum Barbecue 12 28-09-2006 06:58 PM
Wrangler wood chunks Bill Barbecue 3 13-12-2003 05:26 AM
bge and wood chunks beermeister Barbecue 5 06-11-2003 06:10 AM