Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Should wood chunks be soaked

Be grilling and smoking meats for about 5 years now. I don't think I
ever soaked chunks. I noticed on Bobby Flay that NC guy was soaking
his wood chunks prior to use.
Any thoughts on this?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Barry wrote:
> Be grilling and smoking meats for about 5 years now. I don't think I
> ever soaked chunks. I noticed on Bobby Flay that NC guy was soaking
> his wood chunks prior to use.
> Any thoughts on this?

I use to soak chips, but don't even do that any more. Chunks I would not even
consider soaking. I did not see any difference when I stopped soaking chips either.

Chris
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Barry wrote:
> Be grilling and smoking meats for about 5 years now. I don't think I
> ever soaked chunks. I noticed on Bobby Flay that NC guy was soaking
> his wood chunks prior to use.
> Any thoughts on this?

IMHO, If your intent is to add smoke and not add flame, you should soak
in water or cover in foil punch tiny hole in top which is what I do,I
don't like soaking in water because I feel I get a more controlled smoke
and if you wrap it right, you end up with a chunk of lump charcoal to
use next time you cook.
michael (piedmont)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"piedmont" > wrote in message
> Barry wrote:
>> Be grilling and smoking meats for about 5 years now. I don't think I
>> ever soaked chunks. I noticed on Bobby Flay that NC guy was soaking
>> his wood chunks prior to use.
>> Any thoughts on this?

> IMHO, If your intent is to add smoke and not add flame, you should soak in
> water or cover in foil punch tiny hole in top which is what I do,I don't
> like soaking in water because I feel I get a more controlled smoke and if
> you wrap it right, you end up with a chunk of lump charcoal to use next
> time you cook.
> michael (piedmont)

It also depends on your supply of wood. I'd never soak it, but I have lots
of hardwood readily available in any size from sawdust to log. If I had to
buy chips at the equivalent of $50,000 a cord, I'd soak it to get the most
smoke out of it. Cast iron wood boxes are good, a tuna can with foil top
and a few holes works too.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Barry,

you want the chunks to smoke, but not burn. soaking does not help much
because water does not penatrate the wood well. better to wrap them
foil

Adriaan
the Netherlands

On 14 jun, 20:20, Barry > wrote:
> Be grilling and smoking meats for about 5 *years now. I don't think I
> ever soaked chunks. I noticed on Bobby Flay that NC guy was soaking
> his wood chunks prior to use.
> Any thoughts on this?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

A. Kesteloo wrote:
> Barry,
>
> you want the chunks to smoke, but not burn. soaking does not help much
> because water does not penatrate the wood well. better to wrap them
> foil
>
> Adriaan
> the Netherlands

snip

My man..,
piedmont
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

piedmont wrote:
> Barry wrote:
>> Be grilling and smoking meats for about 5 years now. I don't think I
>> ever soaked chunks. I noticed on Bobby Flay that NC guy was soaking
>> his wood chunks prior to use.
>> Any thoughts on this?

> IMHO, If your intent is to add smoke and not add flame, you should soak
> in water or cover in foil punch tiny hole in top which is what I do,I
> don't like soaking in water because I feel I get a more controlled smoke
> and if you wrap it right, you end up with a chunk of lump charcoal to
> use next time you cook.
> michael (piedmont)

I've found as long as I keep the chunks far enough from the inlet valve
(in an offset, of course), they never catch fire. No need to wrap 'em
then, either.

db
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 16-Jun-2009, Donald Bones > wrote:

> piedmont wrote:
> > Barry wrote:
> >> Be grilling and smoking meats for about 5 years now. I don't think I
> >> ever soaked chunks. I noticed on Bobby Flay that NC guy was soaking
> >> his wood chunks prior to use.
> >> Any thoughts on this?

> > IMHO, If your intent is to add smoke and not add flame, you should soak
> >
> > in water or cover in foil punch tiny hole in top which is what I do,I
> > don't like soaking in water because I feel I get a more controlled
> > smoke
> > and if you wrap it right, you end up with a chunk of lump charcoal to
> > use next time you cook.
> > michael (piedmont)

> I've found as long as I keep the chunks far enough from the inlet valve
> (in an offset, of course), they never catch fire. No need to wrap 'em
> then, either.
>

> db

I just throw fist sized chunks on top of the coals in my offset. They make
smoke for an hour or so. I don't soak or wrap. Don't fix what ain't broke.
I've only been doing this for six years, so I have a lot to learn yet.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Barry" > wrote in message
> Be grilling and smoking meats for about 5 years now. I don't think I
> ever soaked chunks. I noticed on Bobby Flay that NC guy was soaking
> his wood chunks prior to use.
> Any thoughts on this?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Barry" > wrote in message
> Be grilling and smoking meats for about 5 years now. I don't think I
> ever soaked chunks. I noticed on Bobby Flay that NC guy was soaking
> his wood chunks prior to use.
> Any thoughts on this?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Barry" > wrote in message
> Be grilling and smoking meats for about 5 years now. I don't think I
> ever soaked chunks. I noticed on Bobby Flay that NC guy was soaking
> his wood chunks prior to use.
> Any thoughts on this?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Barry" > wrote in message
> Be grilling and smoking meats for about 5 years now. I don't think I
> ever soaked chunks. I noticed on Bobby Flay that NC guy was soaking
> his wood chunks prior to use.
> Any thoughts on this?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Barry" > wrote in message
> Be grilling and smoking meats for about 5 years now. I don't think I
> ever soaked chunks. I noticed on Bobby Flay that NC guy was soaking
> his wood chunks prior to use.
> Any thoughts on this?

How upset would you guys, and gals, get if I said the best thing Bobby Flay
could was soak his head in water until the bubbles stopped. There are few
people I can't stand and hi is at the top of the list.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Granby" > wrote:
> "Barry" > wrote in message

> > Be grilling and smoking meats for about 5 years now. I don't think I
> > ever soaked chunks. I noticed on Bobby Flay that NC guy was soaking
> > his wood chunks prior to use.
> > Any thoughts on this?

From my experiments and experience, I recommend against soaking.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Granby wrote:
> "Barry" > wrote in message
>> Be grilling and smoking meats for about 5 years now. I don't think I
>> ever soaked chunks. I noticed on Bobby Flay that NC guy was soaking
>> his wood chunks prior to use.
>> Any thoughts on this?

> How upset would you guys, and gals, get if I said the best thing Bobby Flay
> could was soak his head in water until the bubbles stopped. There are few
> people I can't stand and hi is at the top of the list.

I wouldn't be upset at all. I think he's a phony. He uses hot peppers on
everything to mask the fact that he really can't cook.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 16, 7:19*am, "A. Kesteloo" >
wrote:
> Barry,
>
> you want the chunks to smoke, but not burn. soaking does not help much
> because water does not penatrate the wood well.

Adriaan makes the most succinct point: soaking chunks just doesn't
work.

When I first started I read some dude who wrote how he kept a bucket
full of water and wood with a little mineral oil to keep the skeeters
off. Well, I had the goods to do that and it sounded good so I did
that for a year or two.

But then some spoilsport, probably Kesterloo here, threw a wet blanket
on my party and I started splitting those chunks to check the facts of
the matter.

Water just didn't soak in, not enough to matter. And I'm talking
about chunks in water for weeks, not just hours or days. Hardwood,
like what's useful for smoke and what tastes good is too dense to get
waterlogged without major effort.

BBQ wood chunks in BC? Skookum Barbecue 12 28-09-2006 06:58 PM
hickory wood chunks questions M&M Barbecue 9 20-05-2004 05:38 PM
Wood chunks or charcoal? Buck Barbecue 10 15-05-2004 02:30 AM
Wrangler wood chunks Bill Barbecue 3 13-12-2003 05:26 AM
bge and wood chunks beermeister Barbecue 5 06-11-2003 06:10 AM