Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Lean Butt

I was in a hurry today, and came across a 9# butt that appeared to be
marbled, but had no fat cap. I've always had the good fortune to get
butts that had been responsibly trimmed with a 1/4" or so cap. What the
heck!

I had a big cup of bacon fat in the refrigerator. I partially melted it
and slathered the butt with it. The cold but and less-than-tepid bacon
fat reacted to give me a decent coating of fat. The butt was then
seasoned with my home made and stuck in my Bradley tonight. The hood
temp was set at 225f and internal target at 180f.

I'm optimistic. I have a big bowl of sweet slaw in the refrigerator.
My blasted neighbor borrowed my jar of apple cider vinegar/pepper for
his own cookout, but I'll recover it tomorrow. I have 12 pucks of Apple
in the smoke tower. On the counter is a whole package of white Wonder
Bread hamburger buns.

Wish me luck. Tomorrow, I might be eating like a king (North Carolinian
style pulled pig) or grazing on garbage. I've never tried the bacon fat
as a cap for butt, so I'll report in after a sandwich or two.

Nonny- wondering if I can sleep tonight
--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by

lean chicken RichD General Cooking 7 04-02-2016 06:32 PM
Streak O'Lean? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 4 25-10-2014 09:34 AM
Lean esto y no se arrepentiran [email protected] General Cooking 0 15-01-2008 05:58 PM
A lean and hungry look Opinicus Historic 1 17-12-2007 03:34 PM
Mean lean green sherdwen Tea 0 01-09-2005 01:15 PM