Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Offset smoker question

I have an offset smoker. So far I have controlling the
temperature like I do my wood stove. If I want a higher temperature,
I open the draft on the firebox and close down the damper on the
chimney. Somewhere on the NET I read that the damper should be wide
open when cooking. True?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 29, 11:32 am, Ken Slimmer > wrote:
> I have an offset smoker. So far I have controlling the
> temperature like I do my wood stove. If I want a higher temperature,
> I open the draft on the firebox and close down the damper on the
> chimney. Somewhere on the NET I read that the damper should be wide
> open when cooking. True?

That's the common wisdon. One reason is that you don't want the smoke
to build up and dwell. Cooling smoke will build up on the meat and
give an off flavor, or simply too much of a build up.
Of course the exhaust stack size and placement makes a difference too.
If your stack's oversized, well all's well and good. Most are sized
right. Main thing is to not hold smoke in the main chamber.

Good news is that it is easy enough to learn to use the intake only.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 29-Mar-2007, Ken Slimmer >
wrote:

> I have an offset smoker. So far I have
> controlling the
> temperature like I do my wood stove. If I want
> a higher temperature,
> I open the draft on the firebox and close down
> the damper on the
> chimney. Somewhere on the NET I read that the
> damper should be wide
> open when cooking. True?

Pretty much true Ken. It's just way too easy to
make
creosote instead of pleasing smoke when you start
messing with the damper. It isn't the same as
heating
your house where the objective is to keep the
maximum
amount of heat in the house. I'm into my fifth
year with
an offset (NB Silver Smoker), so I've had a little
practice
with it. I haven't even experimented with the
damper in
more then three years.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 29 Mar 2007 12:10:20 -0700, "Tutall" > wrote:

>On Mar 29, 11:32 am, Ken Slimmer > wrote:
>> I have an offset smoker. So far I have controlling the
>> temperature like I do my wood stove. If I want a higher temperature,
>> I open the draft on the firebox and close down the damper on the
>> chimney. Somewhere on the NET I read that the damper should be wide
>> open when cooking. True?

>That's the common wisdon. One reason is that you don't want the smoke
>to build up and dwell. Cooling smoke will build up on the meat and
>give an off flavor, or simply too much of a build up.
>Of course the exhaust stack size and placement makes a difference too.
>If your stack's oversized, well all's well and good. Most are sized
>right. Main thing is to not hold smoke in the main chamber.
>
>Good news is that it is easy enough to learn to use the intake only.

Thanks, I have a brisket planned for this weekend, sounds like a
learning weekend.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 02:44:04 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 29-Mar-2007, Ken Slimmer >
>wrote:
>
>> I have an offset smoker. So far I have
>> controlling the
>> temperature like I do my wood stove. If I want
>> a higher temperature,
>> I open the draft on the firebox and close down
>> the damper on the
>> chimney. Somewhere on the NET I read that the
>> damper should be wide
>> open when cooking. True?

>Pretty much true Ken. It's just way too easy to
>make
>creosote instead of pleasing smoke when you start
>messing with the damper. It isn't the same as
>heating
>your house where the objective is to keep the
>maximum
>amount of heat in the house. I'm into my fifth
>year with
>an offset (NB Silver Smoker), so I've had a little
>practice
>with it. I haven't even experimented with the
>damper in
>more then three years.

Thanks, I'll try it. I have 2 to digital thermometers, one for the
chamber temp, one for the meat.. I found out that I could drive the
chamber temp up by closing the damper. The last Butt that I smoked
for 10 hours didn't have the nice "wood" smell. Guess thats why.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:16:33 GMT, Ken Slimmer >
wrote:

>On 29 Mar 2007 12:10:20 -0700, "Tutall" > wrote:
>
>>On Mar 29, 11:32 am, Ken Slimmer > wrote:
>>> I have an offset smoker. So far I have controlling the
>>> temperature like I do my wood stove. If I want a higher temperature,
>>> I open the draft on the firebox and close down the damper on the
>>> chimney. Somewhere on the NET I read that the damper should be wide
>>> open when cooking. True?

>>That's the common wisdon. One reason is that you don't want the smoke
>>to build up and dwell. Cooling smoke will build up on the meat and
>>give an off flavor, or simply too much of a build up.
>>Of course the exhaust stack size and placement makes a difference too.
>>If your stack's oversized, well all's well and good. Most are sized
>>right. Main thing is to not hold smoke in the main chamber.
>>
>>Good news is that it is easy enough to learn to use the intake only.

>Thanks, I have a brisket planned for this weekend, sounds like a
>learning weekend.

I will add something that helped in my NBBD:
Use something like roof flashing metal (available at pretty much any
hardware store) and cut a piece appropriately sized to roll into a
tube and insert it into the bottom of the chinmey to bring the bottom
of the chimney down to the level of the grill the meat rests on. I
found this ti help keep the heat uniform in the smoker.
Also, a little more work, use some of the flashing to form a piece to
go in front of the opening from the firebox to force the incoming
gases from the firebox to go downward; hard to describe. It's used to
force the hot gases downward instead of directly onto the meat on the
grills.
These made made my offset much more uniform in heat temps, and also
let it use less charcoal in the process of cooking.

--
The Gallup Poll released Tuesday
said Law and Order star Fred
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 30, 8:22 am, Ken Slimmer > wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 02:44:04 GMT, "Brick" >
> wrote:
>

> >On 29-Mar-2007, Ken Slimmer >
> >wrote:

> >> I have an offset smoker. So far I have
> >> controlling the
> >> temperature like I do my wood stove. If I want
> >> a higher temperature,
> >> I open the draft on the firebox and close down
> >> the damper on the
> >> chimney. Somewhere on the NET I read that the
> >> damper should be wide
> >> open when cooking. True?

> >Pretty much true Ken. It's just way too easy to
> >make
> >creosote instead of pleasing smoke when you start
> >messing with the damper. It isn't the same as
> >heating
> >your house where the objective is to keep the
> >maximum
> >amount of heat in the house. I'm into my fifth
> >year with
> >an offset (NB Silver Smoker), so I've had a little
> >practice
> >with it. I haven't even experimented with the
> >damper in
> >more then three years.

> Thanks, I'll try it. I have 2 to digital thermometers, one for the
> chamber temp, one for the meat.. I found out that I could drive the
> chamber temp up by closing the damper. The last Butt that I smoked
> for 10 hours didn't have the nice "wood" smell. Guess thats why.

Ken-
You're on the right track. As usual Brick to the aid of someone still
getting acquainted with being a "rust head". It wasn't that long ago
that I asked many of the same questions and was graciously guided by
those still here (like Brick) and sadly a few who have followed the
smoke into the heavens.

Rob
Q for all

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8 Apr 2007 16:20:04 -0700, "
> wrote:

>Ken-
>You're on the right track. As usual Brick to the aid of someone still
>getting acquainted with being a "rust head". It wasn't that long ago
>that I asked many of the same questions and was graciously guided by
>those still here (like Brick) and sadly a few who have followed the
>smoke into the heavens.
>
>Rob
>Q for all

Rob;
Thanks, I followed Tutalls/Bricks advice. Smoked a brisket last
weekend. Marinaded with Walter Jettons recipe, found that somewhere
here in the group, (peidmont?). Got the internal temp to 195, another
suggestion from the group. Turned out perfect, the best brisket I
have ever made. Good enough that my wife liked it.

Ken
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:48:56 -0700, Bill Funk >
wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:16:33 GMT, Ken Slimmer >
>wrote:

>>>That's the common wisdon. One reason is that you don't want the smoke
>>>to build up and dwell. Cooling smoke will build up on the meat and
>>>give an off flavor, or simply too much of a build up.
>>>Of course the exhaust stack size and placement makes a difference too.
>>>If your stack's oversized, well all's well and good. Most are sized
>>>right. Main thing is to not hold smoke in the main chamber.
>>>
>>>Good news is that it is easy enough to learn to use the intake only.

>>Thanks, I have a brisket planned for this weekend, sounds like a
>>learning weekend.

>I will add something that helped in my NBBD:
>Use something like roof flashing metal (available at pretty much any
>hardware store) and cut a piece appropriately sized to roll into a
>tube and insert it into the bottom of the chinmey to bring the bottom
>of the chimney down to the level of the grill the meat rests on. I
>found this ti help keep the heat uniform in the smoker.
>Also, a little more work, use some of the flashing to form a piece to
>go in front of the opening from the firebox to force the incoming
>gases from the firebox to go downward; hard to describe. It's used to
>force the hot gases downward instead of directly onto the meat on the
>grills.
>These made made my offset much more uniform in heat temps, and also
>let it use less charcoal in the process of cooking.

Bill;
I found a WEB page that described the flashing on the opening on
the firebox. The extension on the chimney would be very easy to try.
I'll let you know next time I fire it up. Too cold here in Texas this
weekend to cook out.

Where to buy offset smoker in Ottawa Mario Stargard Barbecue 4 14-06-2012 01:22 PM
Suggestion for building offset smoker Bigbiggy Barbecue 1 01-05-2011 10:00 PM
Looking for offset smoker on Left Coast Michael Barbecue 6 08-06-2004 04:59 PM
Offset Smoker/Grills Ted Barbecue 18 23-11-2003 11:46 PM
Question about offset smoker... [email protected] Barbecue 4 02-10-2003 02:50 PM