Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Where to buy offset smoker in Ottawa

I have a buddy with a Big Green Egg that would like to try an offset smoker.. I bought one around 2005 at Canadian Tire (Charbroil silver smoker), but haven't seen one for sale anywhere since. Canadian Tire only sells this dinky little Charbroil offset. http://tinyurl.com/84ocr5u

If we buy one in the States and get it shipped then we pay heavy shipping fees and get nailed at the border for duty. Something that's $200 quickly becomes $500 on arrival. It's better to find a dealer up here.

Thanks,
Mario
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/8/2012 10:59 AM, Mario Stargard wrote:
> I have a buddy with a Big Green Egg that would like to try an offset smoker. I bought one around 2005 at Canadian Tire (Charbroil silver smoker), but haven't seen one for sale anywhere since. Canadian Tire only sells this dinky little Charbroil offset. http://tinyurl.com/84ocr5u
>
> If we buy one in the States and get it shipped then we pay heavy shipping fees and get nailed at the border for duty. Something that's $200 quickly becomes $500 on arrival. It's better to find a dealer up here.
>
> Thanks,
> Mario

That is not a "dinky little Charbroil offset". That's a very common
size for the backyard barbecuer. It may not have the cooking capacity of
a large BGE, but it's not a BGE either!!!

With proper monitoring, you might be able to cook a full brisket, butt,
chicken and a rack or 2 of ribs.

Brick uses one. When he cooks, he loads it up. I've never heard him
complain that it was too small !!!!

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 6/8/2012 6:52 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 17:19:53 -0500, bbq wrote:
>
>> On 6/8/2012 10:59 AM, Mario Stargard wrote:
>>> I have a buddy with a Big Green Egg that would like to try an offset smoker. I bought one around 2005 at Canadian Tire (Charbroil silver smoker), but haven't seen one for sale anywhere since. Canadian Tire only sells this dinky little Charbroil offset. http://tinyurl.com/84ocr5u
>>>
>>> If we buy one in the States and get it shipped then we pay heavy shipping fees and get nailed at the border for duty. Something that's $200 quickly becomes $500 on arrival. It's better to find a dealer up here.

>> That is not a "dinky little Charbroil offset".

> That's a 12" x 20" cooking surface. That fits my definition of dinky
> in an offset. It barely fits a 12lb brisket, and would have severe
> hot spots and circulations problems with one on there.
>
>> With proper monitoring, you might be able to cook a full brisket, butt,
>> chicken and a rack or 2 of ribs.

> I don't know where you're getting that idea. You need glasses and a
> calculator!
>
> It's 1/3rd the size of a Char Broil Silver Smoker.
>
> -sw

I didn't look at the specs. Yea, a 20 inch length cooking surface can't
Q'ue up that much meat in one cook. I was thinking it was 36 inch length
cooking surface.

I got glasses. I need to find them ;-)

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10-Jun-2012, bbq > wrote:

> On 6/8/2012 6:52 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> >> That is not a "dinky little Charbroil offset".

> > That's a 12" x 20" cooking surface. That fits my definition of dinky
> > in an offset. It barely fits a 12lb brisket, and would have severe
> > hot spots and circulations problems with one on there.
> >
> >> With proper monitoring, you might be able to cook a full brisket, butt,
> >> chicken and a rack or 2 of ribs.

> > I don't know where you're getting that idea. You need glasses and a
> > calculator!
> >
> > It's 1/3rd the size of a Char Broil Silver Smoker.
> >
> > -sw

> I didn't look at the specs. Yea, a 20 inch length cooking surface can't
> Q'ue up that much meat in one cook. I was thinking it was 36 inch length
> cooking surface.
>
> I got glasses. I need to find them ;-)
>
> BBQ

For sure 12 X 20 would cramp my style severely. My New Braunfels Silver
Smoker is 16 X 32 cooking surface. It readily accomodates two butts and
two racks of spares all lying flat. I typically do two butts and four racks
of
spares by stacking the spares and shoffling them during cooking. I don't
even use rib racks. I thought that Charbroil had retained the original
dimensions, but they cheapened everything else so size might well have
gone the way of the bean counter. My '03 model 'Silver' is still going
strong albeit looking pretty ugly these days.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Suggestion for building offset smoker Bigbiggy Barbecue 1 01-05-2011 10:00 PM
Offset smoker question Ken Slimmer Barbecue 8 09-04-2007 12:46 AM
Looking for offset smoker on Left Coast Michael Barbecue 6 08-06-2004 04:59 PM
Offset Smoker/Grills Ted Barbecue 18 24-11-2003 12:46 AM
Question about offset smoker... [email protected] Barbecue 4 02-10-2003 02:50 PM