Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default First Time Grilling This Year

After a rough second half of winter, the temps were finally decent
enough to grill. I bought some ground chuck and an 8 oz strip steak
from a local meat market. These went on the Char-Griller over lump
with a mixture of app. 20% hickory and 80% apple wood chips. About 3.5
minutes per side for the steak, and about 4.5 minutes per side for the
burgers, and they were done. I discovered that the wife detests
hickory smoke, and I like a little for steaks, and quite a bit more-
which I used for mine- on burgers. My choice of wood chips is Jack
Daniel's oak barrels, which have been used for aging their whiskey,
chopped into chips. Unfortunately, the local Wal-Mart where I usually
buy them didn't have any- which caused me to resort to the combo of
hickory/apple wood which I used. In spite of the missing Jack Daniel's
chips, I'd have to consider my first grill this year a success! Hey-
the wife didn't like the hickory smoke on the strip steak- which left
me "having" to eat the whole steak myself, along with 2 burgers, and
an entire pound of mushrooms done in foil, on the grill. My wife has
decided that she doesn't like shrooms any more! Gee- how terrible for
her, and how convenient for me!

Here's to a great year of smoking and grilling! I'm pretty well set on
smoking pulled pork early next week, when temps are supposed to be
near 60!

JimnGin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Please don't tell me that you fired up the grill for 1/2 pound of steak
and a little hamburger. If I fire up the BBQ i'm going to put on at
least 10 pounds of something. BTW... we NEVER stoop BBQing here.
BBQ's and grills put out heat so why stoop when it gets cold (whatever
cold is).

JimnGin wrote:
> After a rough second half of winter, the temps were finally decent
> enough to grill. I bought some ground chuck and an 8 oz strip steak
> from a local meat market. These went on the Char-Griller over lump
> with a mixture of app. 20% hickory and 80% apple wood chips. About 3.5
> minutes per side for the steak, and about 4.5 minutes per side for the
> burgers, and they were done. I discovered that the wife detests
> hickory smoke, and I like a little for steaks, and quite a bit more-
> which I used for mine- on burgers. My choice of wood chips is Jack
> Daniel's oak barrels, which have been used for aging their whiskey,
> chopped into chips. Unfortunately, the local Wal-Mart where I usually
> buy them didn't have any- which caused me to resort to the combo of
> hickory/apple wood which I used. In spite of the missing Jack Daniel's
> chips, I'd have to consider my first grill this year a success! Hey-
> the wife didn't like the hickory smoke on the strip steak- which left
> me "having" to eat the whole steak myself, along with 2 burgers, and
> an entire pound of mushrooms done in foil, on the grill. My wife has
> decided that she doesn't like shrooms any more! Gee- how terrible for
> her, and how convenient for me!
>
> Here's to a great year of smoking and grilling! I'm pretty well set on
> smoking pulled pork early next week, when temps are supposed to be
> near 60!
>
> JimnGin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Just lurking because I love BBQ. Yesterday we pulled out the grill for
the 1st time.....12 Old fashioned hot dogs, 3 12oz strip steaks, and 4
half chickens. Nothing, and I mean nothing beats a good BBQ. Love
reading this group:-)

Mark

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-03-11, Glenn > wrote:
> Please don't tell me that you fired up the grill for 1/2 pound of steak
> and a little hamburger. If I fire up the BBQ i'm going to put on at
> least 10 pounds of something. BTW... we NEVER stoop BBQing here.
> BBQ's and grills put out heat so why stoop when it gets cold (whatever
> cold is).

Sounds kinda like me.. We BBQ'd some country style pork ribs (eg. cut-up
pork butts) slather with Dizzy Pig rub for 3-4 hours yesterday. Very tasty!
I've currently got 1lb piece (I'm trying my hand and didn't want to waste a
bunch of expensive fish for the first time) of wild Salmon in the fridge with
the Alton Brown Smoked Salmon rub on it with a brick sitting on it for
pressure.. Unfortunately, this won't be ready to grill until Tuesday at the
earliest since it takes a full 24 hours of dry-brining, then cleaning and
then drying in the fridge for some time.. (if anyone has comments about how
long to let it dry in the fridge --before it can be smoked, let me know)

My neighbor got me hooked on Smoked Salmon last week that he cooked on his new
offset BBQ he got at the local BBQ's Galore recently.. Anyway, the Salmon
tasted pretty much like what we used to get in South Western Oregon.. Very
tasty!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 11, 10:32 am, Glenn > wrote:
> Please don't tell me that you fired up the grill for 1/2 pound of steak
> and a little hamburger. If I fire up the BBQ i'm going to put on at
> least 10 pounds of something. BTW... we NEVER stoop BBQing here.
> BBQ's and grills put out heat so why stoop when it gets cold (whatever
> cold is).

Of course I fire up the grill for that much meat, and even less, if
the wife and I want to! It's just me and the wife- I'm not sure what
we'd do with 10 lbs or more each time! We'd have so many leftovers, or
wasted food, that I'd fire up the grill a lot less. Remember- it's not
just about the food, but also about the experience- the lighting of
the lump- fire meets newspaper (chimney starter), the smell of lump
and wood, being outside in nature, enjoying the view of God's
creation, whilst grilling or smoking another of God's creation for our
eating enjoyment! Does it really get any better than that?! Of course
not, and what difference does it make, if it's 10 ounces, or 10
pounds?!

JimnGin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 14-Mar-2007, "JimnGin" >
wrote:

> On Mar 11, 10:32 am, Glenn >
> wrote:
> > Please don't tell me that you fired up the
> > grill for 1/2 pound of steak
> > and a little hamburger. If I fire up the BBQ
> > i'm going to put on at
> > least 10 pounds of something. BTW... we NEVER
> > stoop BBQing here.
> > BBQ's and grills put out heat so why stoop
> > when it gets cold (whatever
> > cold is).

> Of course I fire up the grill for that much
> meat, and even less, if
> the wife and I want to! It's just me and the
> wife- I'm not sure what
> we'd do with 10 lbs or more each time! We'd have
> so many leftovers, or
> wasted food, that I'd fire up the grill a lot
> less. Remember- it's not
> just about the food, but also about the
> experience- the lighting of
> the lump- fire meets newspaper (chimney
> starter), the smell of lump
> and wood, being outside in nature, enjoying the
> view of God's
> creation, whilst grilling or smoking another of
> God's creation for our
> eating enjoyment! Does it really get any better
> than that?! Of course
> not, and what difference does it make, if it's
> 10 ounces, or 10
> pounds?!
>
> JimnGin

I'm with JimnGin on this one. I really enjoy
cooking
BBQ, but I just don't have enough hearty eaters to
do it justice. (I'm working on that). SWAMBO and I
do like our grilled steaks and nothing gets the
job
done like a very hot charcoal fire. If I was
smart, I'd
cook my single steaks on the (charcoal) chimney.
But, nobody has accused me of being overly smart.
So, I generally sacrifice a chimney's worth of
briquettes to cook one steak. It doesn't even make

a pimple in the budget for the month.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-03-16, Brick > wrote:

> If I was smart, I'd cook my single steaks on the (charcoal) chimney.

Well.. I had the fire for you the other night in my Kamado.. I was
doing pizza's & Calzones.. I had the thing running at somewhere between
800 and 850F.. It was reading off the thermostat's range (stops at 750)
I can tell you my grills are spanking clean now -- not a hint of grundge
remains!