Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Multiple briskets

I'm cooking for a big wedding, a lot more people than I've cooked for
before. I have a New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker that I've used
many times with good results, smoking brisket for about an hour a
pound. The thing is, I've never smoked more than one brisket at a
time. If I want to do two at a time (full briskets, average weight 11
pounds and something), how should I adjust my timing? I'll know when
they're done--I'm just trying to figure out when to put them in.
I expect to move them around a couple of times during the cooking
period to make sure they heat evenly. I'd be grateful for any advice.
maj
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 17-Jan-2007, wrote:

> 'm cooking for a big wedding, a lot more people than I've
> cooked for
> before. I have a New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker that
> I've used
> many times with good results, smoking brisket for about an
> hour a
> pound. The thing is, I've never smoked more than one
> brisket at a
> time. If I want to do two at a time (full briskets,
> average weight 11
> pounds and something), how should I adjust my timing? I'll
> know when
> they're done--I'm just trying to figure out when to put
> them in.
> I expect to move them around a couple of times during the
> cooking
> period to make sure they heat evenly. I'd be grateful for
> any advice.
> maj

Maj, for openers, I use the Black Diamond's little brother,
the
Silver, so the principals are familiar. When fully loaded I
shuffle about every four hours (only) for brisket or butts.
Two
hours for ribs.

Figure 18 hours at the outside for multiple briskets. Don't
worry about getting done early. You already know that they
want to set for a couple of hours to overnight in a cooler
anyway.

Start 20 hours early. Have plenty of foil and cooler space
available
to keep anything/everything that gets done ahead of time.

Don't make a mountain out of a molehill. You're going to
make
some killer brisket and the guests are going to fall all
over
themselves ooh'ing and aah'ing about how good it is.

Make sure you have plenty of knapkins on hand.

I'm having excellent reviews about "Struttin' Sauce" from
Smoke
& Spice,but then my guests are all Puerto Ricans and they
like
spicy. Serve any sauce on the side, but you knew that. I
caught
folks dunking chunks of bread in the Struttin' Sauce.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Figure 18 hours at the outside for multiple briskets. Don't
> worry about getting done early. You already know that they
> want to set for a couple of hours to overnight in a cooler
> anyway.

I have to agree with Brick. Better early than late. But he forgot one
important question....how come we didn't get an invitation to this wedding?
ha ha

I was going to warn you about something but just had a great idea for a
smoker accessory....Anytime I have ever smoked for a large group, someone
always opens the smoker to peak while my back is turned. So how about a
smoker lid handle that integrates either a joy buzzer or mild shock unless
you open it the right way

Good luck with the dinner.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
> The thing is, I've never smoked more than one brisket at a
> time. If I want to do two at a time (full briskets, average weight 11
> pounds and something), how should I adjust my timing?

Nothing to adjust, really. An 11 pound brisket is still 11 pounds no matter
how many you cook at one time. Given the mass, it may take an extra 10
minutes to get back up to temperature when you first put them in, but if
they are already at room temperature, you won't even notice the difference.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 17-Jan-2007, "Chris" > wrote:

> > Figure 18 hours at the outside for multiple briskets.
> > Don't
> > worry about getting done early. You already know that
> > they
> > want to set for a couple of hours to overnight in a
> > cooler
> > anyway.
> >

> I have to agree with Brick. Better early than late. But
> he forgot one
> important question....how come we didn't get an invitation
> to this wedding?
> ha ha
>
> I was going to warn you about something but just had a
> great idea for a
> smoker accessory....Anytime I have ever smoked for a large
> group, someone
> always opens the smoker to peak while my back is turned.
> So how about a
> smoker lid handle that integrates either a joy buzzer or
> mild shock unless
> you open it the right way
>
> Good luck with the dinner.

I haven't had that problem yet Chris, but that would
definitely
**** me off. I go to a lot of trouble to minimize the time
my
smoker is open because It just doesn't recover very fast.
The
fact is that there is a lot of volumn inside an offset.
There's
a lot more in the Black Diamond. The metal isn't all that
thick
and it cools off fast when the ambient air gets in. As a
rule of
thumb, I try to cook only products with similar cooking
times
in a single batch. Then I don't open the cook chamber until
at least half the expected cooking time.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Bob Bob is offline

"Chris" > wrote in message
.. .
> Figure 18 hours at the outside for multiple briskets. Don't
> worry about getting done early. You already know that they
> want to set for a couple of hours to overnight in a cooler
> anyway.

I have to agree with Brick. Better early than late. But he forgot one
important question....how come we didn't get an invitation to this wedding?
ha ha

I was going to warn you about something but just had a great idea for a
smoker accessory....Anytime I have ever smoked for a large group, someone
always opens the smoker to peak while my back is turned. So how about a
smoker lid handle that integrates either a joy buzzer or mild shock unless
you open it the right way

Good luck with the dinner.

I tell the people who want a peek, "When your are looking, it's not
cooking".

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > The thing is, I've never smoked more than one brisket at a
> > time. If I want to do two at a time (full briskets, average weight 11
> > pounds and something), how should I adjust my timing?

> Nothing to adjust, really. An 11 pound brisket is still 11 pounds no matter
> how many you cook at one time. Given the mass, it may take an extra 10
> minutes to get back up to temperature when you first put them in, but if
> they are already at room temperature, you won't even notice the difference.

Aside from some extra time to possibly mop the extra meat if you're
doing that, I agree with Ed.
More meat in the BD should not appreciably affect cooking time.
Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>> 'm cooking for a big wedding, a lot more people than I've
>> cooked for
>> before. I have a New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker that
>> I've used
>> many times with good results, smoking brisket for about an
>> hour a
>> pound. The thing is, I've never smoked more than one
>> brisket at a
>> time. If I want to do two at a time (full briskets,
>> average weight 11
>> pounds and something), how should I adjust my timing? I'll
>> know when
>> they're done--I'm just trying to figure out when to put
>> them in.
>> I expect to move them around a couple of times during the
>> cooking
>> period to make sure they heat evenly. I'd be grateful for
>> any advice.
>> maj

>Maj, for openers, I use the Black Diamond's little brother,
>the
>Silver, so the principals are familiar. When fully loaded I
>shuffle about every four hours (only) for brisket or butts.
>Two
>hours for ribs.
>
>Figure 18 hours at the outside for multiple briskets. Don't
>worry about getting done early. You already know that they
>want to set for a couple of hours to overnight in a cooler
>anyway.
>
>Start 20 hours early. Have plenty of foil and cooler space
>available
>to keep anything/everything that gets done ahead of time.
>
>Don't make a mountain out of a molehill. You're going to
>make
>some killer brisket and the guests are going to fall all
>over
>themselves ooh'ing and aah'ing about how good it is.
>
>Make sure you have plenty of knapkins on hand.
>
>I'm having excellent reviews about "Struttin' Sauce" from
>Smoke
>& Spice,but then my guests are all Puerto Ricans and they
>like
>spicy. Serve any sauce on the side, but you knew that. I
>caught
>folks dunking chunks of bread in the Struttin' Sauce.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I'll be sure to start early. Of
course, that means I'll need more bourbon on hand for myself and my
friends, so this could get expensive (and we might miss the wedding).
As to why you all weren't invited--I would have asked you, but my
daughter insisted on deciding who to invite to her own wedding. And
after all I've done for her!
For my table sauce, I've been thinking of using the Smoky Barbecue
Sauce recipe from "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces." I
haven't made this one before--anyone have an opinion on it? I want
something with some character, and that definitely doesn't taste like
it came from the supermarket, but some of these guests won't be as
adventurous as I would like so I have to show a little restraint.
maj
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19-Jan-2007, wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:01:16 GMT,

> wrote:
>

> >On 17-Jan-2007,
wrote:

<snip>

> Thanks to all of you for the advice. I'll be sure to start
> early. Of
> course, that means I'll need more bourbon on hand for
> myself and my
> friends, so this could get expensive (and we might miss
> the wedding).
> As to why you all weren't invited--I would have asked you,
> but my
> daughter insisted on deciding who to invite to her own
> wedding. And
> after all I've done for her!
> For my table sauce, I've been thinking of using the Smoky
> Barbecue
> Sauce recipe from "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue
> Sauces." I
> haven't made this one before--anyone have an opinion on
> it? I want
> something with some character, and that definitely doesn't
> taste like
> it came from the supermarket, but some of these guests
> won't be as
> adventurous as I would like so I have to show a little
> restraint.
> maj

You're on the right track maj. I just cross checked Kirk's
"Smoky Barbecue Sauce with Jamison's "Struttin! Sauce".
Kirk's "Smoked Chile Barbecue Sauce" is closer to the
"Struttin! Sauce", but you have to cater to a bunch of
wimpy palates, so you have to do what you have to do. I'll
be making another batch of "Struttin! Sauce", but next time
I'll fortify it a little with some ground chipotle chili. My
Puerto
Rican guests have the palate for it. If that doesn't meet
their
needs, I'll move right on up to ground serrano.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Whole Briskets [email protected] Barbecue 28 05-09-2008 05:21 AM
Multiple infusions Square Peg Tea 10 28-08-2008 03:43 PM
12 shoulders and 6 briskets: $1500.00. Pierre Barbecue 2 17-01-2007 03:15 AM
Found briskets! Matthew L. Martin Barbecue 2 17-06-2005 06:00 AM
briskets on sale BigDog Barbecue 9 07-04-2004 07:42 PM