Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Buy your booze early!

Boy!! for a country that declares itself the mother of democracy (excluding of course every country in the world that had democracy hundreds of years before you were discovered) you have some stupid laws.

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

pipsqueek wrote:
> Boy!! for a country that declares itself the mother of democracy
> (excluding of course every country in the world that had democracy
> hundreds of years before you were discovered) you have some stupid
> laws.

Actually, the U.S. is a Capitalistic Society, not a true Democracy.
We don't even vote for our president. Google Electoral College.
In that light, Australia is more a Democracy then we are when it
comes to voting.

I figure any resident of any country has at least one thing to gripe
about, or they aren't really trying.

And speaking of booze, my gripe is that we don't get any of the good
single malt Scotches here. I want something with enough peat in it,
it tastes like getting hit across the tongue with a burnt log.

Time to start the brisket.

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

pipsqueek wrote:
> Boy!! for a country that declares itself the mother of democracy (excluding of course every country in the world that had democracy hundreds of years before you were discovered) you have some stupid laws.

The state and local laws regulate sales of liquor. With 50 states and
countless counties, the laws vary widely depending upon what the local
people want. Some counties remain alcohol-free, and in some places the
bars never close and you can walk around the city with a drink and take
your bar drinks with you when you leave...New Orleans comes to
mind...but I'm fairly certain you can't get away with that anywhere
else.

And FWIW, stupid local laws is what democracy is all about. :-)

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> "DougW" wrote:
>
>> And speaking of booze, my gripe is that we don't get any of the good
>> single malt Scotches here. I want something with enough peat in it,
>> it tastes like getting hit across the tongue with a burnt log.

> Laphroiag
> And it's available in the US.

I'll have to hunt that down. Particular age?

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"DougW" > wrote:
> Denny Wheeler wrote:
> > "DougW" wrote:
> >
> >> And speaking of booze, my gripe is that we don't get any of the good
> >> single malt Scotches here. I want something with enough peat in it,
> >> it tastes like getting hit across the tongue with a burnt log.

> > Laphroiag
> > And it's available in the US.

> I'll have to hunt that down. Particular age?

I have the 10 yo and like it. I also have, and like the Bowmore 17 and the
Ardbeg 10, as wll as the Aberlour a'bunadh and Lagavulin 16, any of which
will be a more than pleasant dram!

~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2-Jan-2007, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On 29 Dec 2006 06:06:32 -0800, JohnO wrote:
>
> > and in some places the
> > bars never close and you can walk around the city with a
> > drink and take
> > your bar drinks with you when you leave...New Orleans
> > comes to
> > mind...but I'm fairly certain you can't get away with
> > that anywhere
> > else.

> I think Nevada is like that statewide; 24-hour sales and
> drinking
> in public is acceptable. Or at least Vegas and Reno.
>
> -sw

I just thought of a law that cracks me up. In South Bend,
Indiana
you can't carry a drink from the bar to a table legally. You
have
to get a waitress to do it for you.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"DougW" > wrote

> And speaking of booze, my gripe is that we don't get any of the good
> single malt Scotches here. I want something with enough peat in it,
> it tastes like getting hit across the tongue with a burnt log.

You would be looking for Ardbeg in that case. Or more generally, any single
malt from Islay.

I've seen Ardbeg offered online, but not once in a liquor store.

--
TFM®
Zephyrhills (A fellow peat lover) Florida

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"DougW" > wrote

> And speaking of booze, my gripe is that we don't get any of the good
> single malt Scotches here. I want something with enough peat in it,
> it tastes like getting hit across the tongue with a burnt log.

BTW, Ardbeg (It is, perhaps, the most peaty malt whisky in the world -
certainly of all the Islay malts. Not to mention beautifully balanced,
complex and deep.) is available here;
http://thecellaronline.com/ar10yeoldis.html

--
TFM®

Have you ever had an orgasm so violent, so powerful,
your legs buckled and you hit your head on the back
of the tub and no one found you for hours?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® wrote:
> "DougW" > wrote
>
>> And speaking of booze, my gripe is that we don't get any of the good
>> single malt Scotches here. I want something with enough peat in it,
>> it tastes like getting hit across the tongue with a burnt log.

> BTW, Ardbeg (It is, perhaps, the most peaty malt whisky in the world -
> certainly of all the Islay malts. Not to mention beautifully balanced,
> complex and deep.) is available here;
> http://thecellaronline.com/ar10yeoldis.html

mmmmm

Much thanks! I will have to order a bottle.

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

DougW wrote:
> TFM® wrote:
>> "DougW" wrote
>>
>>> And speaking of booze, my gripe is that we don't get any of the good
>>> single malt Scotches here. I want something with enough peat in it,
>>> it tastes like getting hit across the tongue with a burnt log.

>> BTW, Ardbeg (It is, perhaps, the most peaty malt whisky in the world
>> - certainly of all the Islay malts. Not to mention beautifully
>> balanced, complex and deep.) is available here;
>> http://thecellaronline.com/ar10yeoldis.html

> mmmmm
>
> Much thanks! I will have to order a bottle.

Follow up..

Got a bottle of Ardbeg 10 and got to say it's one of the
more interesting peaty scotches that I've ever had. Comes
on mildly sweet (honey, chocolate) little salt, but no real
nose of any type to give it away as being 46%. It then
slowly morphs to a deep peat smoke flavor. Actually it
continues to build for quite some time till it approaches
sucking on a piece of burning peat.

And I mean that in a good way.

Very good suggestion!

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:04:51 -0600, DougW wrote:
>
>> Actually it continues to build for quite some time till it approaches
>> sucking on a piece of burning peat.

> Don't let Peat's wife found out about this affair.

mum's the word.

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:04:51 -0600, DougW wrote:
>>
>>> Actually it continues to build for quite some time till it approaches
>>> sucking on a piece of burning peat.

>> Don't let Peat's wife found out about this affair.

> mum's the word.

Not to mention, Mumm makes pretty good champagne