Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Buy your booze early!

Steve Wertz wrote:
> For those of you who partake and live in a state with those
> archaic (and unconstitutional) blue laws, remember to buy all
> your New Years Eve booze (and even beer in some states) early
> since it's Sunday.
>
> What to they do in states like, say - South Carolina - where even
> bars aren't even allowed to be open on Sunday - and no beer sales
> either? If I was a bar owner, I'd be pretty ****ed not being
> able to open on the biggest alcohol consumption night of the
> year.
>
> -sw

I think New York works that way, too, Steve. IIRC, no liquor sales on
Sunday and I know you can't buy liquor past 7:00 pm there on a weekday, as
well. I've never considered how that affects a beer/bar proprietor before;
biggest party day of the year and you're closed? That's gotta hurt.

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

kilikini wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
> > For those of you who partake and live in a state with those
> > archaic (and unconstitutional) blue laws, remember to buy all
> > your New Years Eve booze (and even beer in some states) early
> > since it's Sunday.
> >
> > What to they do in states like, say - South Carolina - where even
> > bars aren't even allowed to be open on Sunday - and no beer sales
> > either? If I was a bar owner, I'd be pretty ****ed not being
> > able to open on the biggest alcohol consumption night of the
> > year.
> >
> > -sw

> I think New York works that way, too, Steve. IIRC, no liquor sales on
> Sunday and I know you can't buy liquor past 7:00 pm there on a weekday, as
> well. I've never considered how that affects a beer/bar proprietor before;
> biggest party day of the year and you're closed? That's gotta hurt.
>
> kili

In Michigan we can't buy booze until noon on Sundays. I suppose that
prevents anyone going to church drunk or something. In nearby Indiana
there's no alcohol sales on Sundays, nor on holidays. Makes sense, when
you consider the Indianians are still arguing about daylight savings
time.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JohnO wrote:
> In Michigan we can't buy booze until noon on Sundays. I suppose that
> prevents anyone going to church drunk or something. In nearby Indiana
> there's no alcohol sales on Sundays, nor on holidays. Makes sense, when
> you consider the Indianians are still arguing about daylight savings
> time.

I go to the F1 Grand Prix in Indianapolis every year. I was pleased to
see beer in the grocery stores and gas stations when we arrived the
first night and shocked when those displays were covered with sheets on
race day.

Cam

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"kilikini" wrote...
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> For those of you who partake and live in a state with those
>> archaic (and unconstitutional) blue laws, remember to buy all
>> your New Years Eve booze (and even beer in some states) early
>> since it's Sunday.

Good point. Thanks for the reminder.

>> What to they do in states like, say - South Carolina - where even
>> bars aren't even allowed to be open on Sunday - and no beer sales
>> either? If I was a bar owner, I'd be pretty ****ed not being
>> able to open on the biggest alcohol consumption night of the
>> year.

I'm just glad I don't live there any more.
>> -sw

> I think New York works that way, too, Steve. IIRC, no liquor sales on
> Sunday and I know you can't buy liquor past 7:00 pm there on a weekday, as
> well. I've never considered how that affects a beer/bar proprietor
> before;
> biggest party day of the year and you're closed? That's gotta hurt.

I just drive from the assBackward county or small town to Orlando or one of
the more modern counties. Usually, the drive is a block or two. Sometimes,
we just walk across the street.

> kili

This year, I'll be down in the "Progressive" municipality of Felda, Florida
celebrating New Years Eve. No booze for sale, no cash registers, just
free-flowing alcohol and on New Years Day, good BBQ to eat, and more
alcohol. I'm glad I have Tuesday off too!

kili, you take care of yourself and have a much better 2007 than you had in
2006. I'm making plans this weekend to be @ Burnt Island Jan. 1, 2008.
Tell Big Jim that he needs to get better too.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JohnO wrote:

> In Michigan we can't buy booze until noon on Sundays. I suppose that
> prevents anyone going to church drunk or something. In nearby Indiana
> there's no alcohol sales on Sundays, nor on holidays. Makes sense, when
> you consider the Indianians are still arguing about daylight savings
> time.

Having lived in Fort Wayne for 15 or so years, let me assure you there's
a reason we didn't change to daylight savings time. It was simply that
we didn't know how to set those new-fangled watches and clocks. <grin>
Booze in IN is sold by the state, so they can not only be sure it's
taxed, they can also take in the profit. The ABC stores are usually NOT
on a major thoroughfare, either, and are not well lighted at night.
After all, it'd be embarrassing if the Baptists would recognize one
another out in the parking lots.
--
---Nonnymus---
In the periodic table, as in politics,

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BOB wrote:
> "kilikini" wrote...
>> Steve Wertz wrote:
>>
>> kili
>>

> This year, I'll be down in the "Progressive" municipality of Felda,
> Florida celebrating New Years Eve. No booze for sale, no cash
> registers, just free-flowing alcohol and on New Years Day, good BBQ
> to eat, and more alcohol. I'm glad I have Tuesday off too!
>
> kili, you take care of yourself and have a much better 2007 than you
> had in 2006. I'm making plans this weekend to be @ Burnt Island Jan.
> 1, 2008. Tell Big Jim that he needs to get better too.
>
> BOB

Thanks, BOB. I talked to Big Jim today and we're both ready for the BBQ
Burnt Island fest, but he told me there's a good chance for rain, so you
might not be missing much! LOL.

On a good note, he's got a tarp, some chairs and is bringing some strong
moonshine. We'll be warm and dry. :~)

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

kilikini wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> For those of you who partake and live in a state with those
>> archaic (and unconstitutional) blue laws, remember to buy all
>> your New Years Eve booze (and even beer in some states) early
>> since it's Sunday.

> I think New York works that way, too, Steve. IIRC, no liquor sales on
> Sunday and I know you can't buy liquor past 7:00 pm there on a
> weekday, as well. I've never considered how that affects a beer/bar
> proprietor before; biggest party day of the year and you're closed?
> That's gotta hurt.

It's like that in Texas (or parts of at least). Oklahoma has
bars open on Sunday and I have a reserved table.

My plan is go watch fireworks and listen to the band.
Getting hammered isn't all it used to be, so I leave that
to the younger generation.

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JohnO" > wrote

> In Michigan we can't buy booze until noon on Sundays. I suppose that
> prevents anyone going to church drunk or something. In nearby Indiana
> there's no alcohol sales on Sundays, nor on holidays. Makes sense, when
> you consider the Indianians are still arguing about daylight savings
> time.

I was riding through Indiana a number of years ago on a motorcycle when I
decided I wanted a beer.

It was Sunday. Imagine my shock when I was told there were no beer sales on
Sunday...At all!

Imagine my relief when they told me the bars were open however! <G>

--
TFM®
Zephyrhills (Stupid laws abound) Florida