Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Buy your booze early!

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> For those of you who partake and live in a state with those
> archaic (and unconstitutional) blue laws, remember to buy all
> your New Years Eve booze (and even beer in some states) early
> since it's Sunday.
>
> What to they do in states like, say - South Carolina - where even
> bars aren't even allowed to be open on Sunday - and no beer sales
> either? If I was a bar owner, I'd be pretty ****ed not being
> able to open on the biggest alcohol consumption night of the
> year.

Here in CT, the liquor store owners are fighting to say closed. By opening
on Sunday, they have the same amount of sales spread over 7 days instead of
6, but they have the added cost of labor and utilities for the extra day if
Sunday laws are abolished. Bars are open.

Personally, I don't have a problem either way. I don't find it hard to plan
ahead and there is always enough booze in the house if guests drop by, along
with about 200 bottles of wine. I'll probably chill a bottle of Cava for
the evening.

I agree with the bars being open though. Some states do make exceptions on
New Years. OTOH, I've never been to a bar on NY's eve and have no desire to
join in with a bunch of inebriated strangers.